Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris Fun Design/Rossi 45 RE

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Morris Fun Design/Rossi 45 RE

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 07:51 PM
ramcharger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morris Fun Design/Rossi 45 RE

I have well over 150 flights on this plane with the rear exhaust Rossi Powerhouse 45 engine over the past 2 yrs. I use a 12x4 APC prop and get about 12,500 rpm with 10% Cool Power. The plane weighs 4lbs - 10oz with the engine which is 5 to 6 oz heavier than my Dazzlers. In the past few weeks a couple flyers have asked if I ever flew a different fun type plane other than my 2 Dazzlers and this Fun Design. They suggested I try a better Morris plane like the top cat. They indicated the Fun Design is really holding me back and is probably the least popular of all the Morris planes - ouch. I guess I was surprised although I and another club member are the only 2 people I know of that fly this combo. The other guy never flys his Morris and has asked me quite often if I want to buy it. Any one out there fly the Fun Design with this engine and if so what are your opinions!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 11:48 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I had one with the same motor.
I didnt think it was a bad plane.
I have had Top Caps, Su-do's and now I am flying a Sledge.
They all have their highpoints but none of them is a bad design.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:19 PM
vertigo
My Feedback: (1)

I have this same combo and I found it very hard to hover for extended periods. The Morris Su-Do-khoi is much easier to hover for me. Don't know if this is due to low wing mounting in the Fun Design or the rossi mid-range not being quite as smooth as the os 46 in the Su-do.

The rossi has considerably more power making the spins and flips more fun with the Fun Design.

BTW ramcharger, with all due respect, you are not getting the performance you should out of the Rossi 45 RE. To make use of the timing and the mini tuned pipe it needs to run 14,000+. Please try an apc 11x4 and I think you will be surprised at the performance.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:39 AM
ramcharger

I bought 2 new APC props yesterday, a 12.25x3.75 and a 11x4. I was really hot to get the 12.25 prop a rotating but I guess I'll switch my priorities. The 12x4 APC has been on my Fun Design all this year and needs to be changed although it looks fine. I also cannot hover the Fun Design very long. I never thought of the low wing. Its the low wing that forces the use of a rear exhaust engine and there are not that many rear exhaust engines out there. This probably made the plane unpopular. I believe the rear exhaust 45 engine has been discontinued by Rossi.