Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Superwasp knife edge

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Superwasp knife edge

Old 01-27-2002, 07:59 PM
vertigo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superwasp knife edge

A tip to anyone who has the Superwasp with the large canopy, the winglets need to be used if you want neutral roll in knife edge. I built this model without them and had severe adverse roll in knife edge. After installing them I now have very little control coupling in KE
So, don't skip that step like I did.

Happy Wasping
Old 01-28-2002, 01:43 AM
rightflyer

Default Superwasp

Thanks for the tip. What shape/ size did you use? Did you use RTV to attach them? TIA
Old 01-28-2002, 03:54 AM
vertigo
My Feedback: (1)

Default winglets

Hi rightflyer,

I made them to look like what you see on Don Incoll's web site. They are 1.5 inches high at the trailing edge(aileron hinge line)and taper to 0 at the thickest part of airfoil.
Yes, I did attach them with clear RTV.
I wouldn't have believed the diferance they made if I hadn't experienced it myself.
The Wasp is still not as smooth and easy to handle in knife edge as my Morris Topcap, around 1/2 throttle seems to give the best results for me.
And also, the winglets are just on the top of the airfoil.

Good luck with your wasp
Old 02-08-2002, 03:59 AM
funfly2005

Were can you get a wasp
Old 02-08-2002, 05:18 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Get the plans from:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/sirexwasp/

You can get a laser pack from FunAero:
http://www.funaero.com

Or order the complete kit from Saturn Hobbies in Aus.

Awesome plane!!
Old 02-08-2002, 05:35 AM
Balsageek

Default Wasp

Lets see some wasp pics!!! I am still awaiting the arrival of my wood (it's due tomorrow). I can't wait to get started on the superwasp!!! I hope it's as cool of an airplane as it looks like it's gonna be. What engines are you guys using. I'm still trying to decide. I'm guessing the lighter the better?
Old 02-08-2002, 02:36 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I'm using a TT 46 on mine with a tuned pipe.... When I rebuild it, I'm going to try a mousse can muffler to try to even out the midrange a bit. I've heard of guys using OS 32's on these and even a hot 40 on a pipe.....

I used two aileron servo's in mine so I could do flaperon's.

My wasp:

More Wasp Pictures

Make sure to go light on everything you use...

If you need any help or some detail shots of anything, let me know.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:19 AM
NavyFlyer
My Feedback: (8)

Default My wasp :)

Here is a picture of my "modified" wasp.

Old 02-09-2002, 03:22 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I have a ST 45 with stock muffler. i built my with 1 aleron servo. I would recommend building with 2 servos in the wing. Makes it easier to repair, setup, and you can mix in flaps, spoilers. You also won't have to worry about your rods flexing. I used all stock JR radio equipment w/ 600mh battery. my weight was 4 lbs. 5 oz exactly. It flies great at that weight. I probably could have built mine just a tad bit lighter. It wood be even better closer to 4 lbs even. I used the 1 wheel job. I don't like it. I would go with standard profile landing gear up front and use a tail wheel in the back.

I built my with a stock rudder. If I build me another I would add a little to the rudder and to the stab. I think the wasp needs little more rudder authority.

I fly my wasp with a 11x4 APC prop. 10oz tank. I need to go to an 8 oz tank. I really like the way it flies with the CG starts moving back after i burn some fuel. I can take off and go straight up until out of sight. I really love this plane. My plane flys really well with a 11x4. I flew it last weekend with a 12.25 x 3.75. and didn't like it. I don't think my motor has enought power to spin it fast enough. If you havene't figure it out yet, super wasp don't knife edge very well. But I learned to hover on this plane. Tail slides are good too. It hovers super easy compaired to everything I have flown. Paul Swanny got it to do an inverted flat spin last weekend.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:53 AM
Razor_Sharp
My Feedback: (6)

Default Super Duper Wasp

This is my first attempt at building a wasp. As you can see, I added a little area to the fuse. I hope it will Knife Edge like my BalsaNova 40. I am going to use a MVVS .40 with mini tuned pipe. I am shotting for under 4 lbs. I am going to try dual wheels on carbon fiber gears, and I am thinking about using UltraCote Lite for covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2552_577.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1880  
Old 02-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Balsageek

Default Built Up Fuse

Razor Sharp,

That sure is one big fuse. It looks like it would knife better. Be sure and let us know how it performs!!! By the way, How much taller is it?
Old 02-10-2002, 04:51 AM
Razor_Sharp
My Feedback: (6)

Default Fuse Height

It is almost double the stock height at the very rear. I added about 2 7/8 inches for a total height of 6 inches. I hope it flies well. I'll keep you posted.