Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

SuDoKhoi - Finished

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 09:10 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuDoKhoi - Finished

Finally finished my SuDoKhoi.... It's got an MVVS 40 with mini tuned pipe. I really like the throttle response of this engine... Not sure if it will be powerfull enough... I've got a 11x4 prop on it to start with... I'll try a 10x5. It's got standard servo's with 7 channel futaba RX. It came out at 4lbs, 8 oz. A little heavier that I wanted.... I'll never use that neon monokote again.. what a pain to work with. Won't lay down and scortches easy... I think it cost me at least 4 oz... really heavy stuff. Oh well live and learn.

More Pictures:

Construction Pictures

Finished Pictures

I'll flight test it as soon as the wind dies down.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Chopper01

Very nice! I've been waiting to see what kind of trim scheme you were gonna use . I see you went with the external fuel tank, was that just for convenience sake? Thanks for the heads up on neon monokote also.

Chopper
Old 01-30-2002, 10:09 PM
PaulSwany

Yeah.. the tank on the outside is for convienence.... I land frequently to check how much fuel I have.... I hate to flame out in a hover.... I really should get in the habit of using a timer.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default New Fun-Fly

Your new plane looks great! I know what you are talking about regarding the workability and weight issues with the neon coverings. I got away from the neon especially because that they fade very very quickly when exposed to sunlight
You will see a big difference in a relatively short period of time.
Regrding the prop on your MVVS 40, I use the APC 11.5 x 4 on mine and find that it has more than enough power for a Fun-Fly. I love it , I am sure that you will too!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:19 PM
PaulSwany

Default Test Flight Update

Wow.... Gotta love this plane!!!! The MVVS .40 has plenty of poop!!! No worries with this motor.... Even at 4 1/2lbs., it had plenty of power.... and it's not even fully broken in yet... Throttle transition is instantaneous.... I ran a 11 x 4 apc prop and didn't tack it, so I don't know what it was pulling. I'm going to try a 10 x 5 and a 10 x 4, maybe even an 11.5 x 4.... I was running 5% Powermaster fuel.

I added 1" to the rudder, so she had tons of rudder authority... Tried a knife edge loop.... got all the way through it, but ended up inverted... The engine has a little down thrust in it inadvertently.... The knife edge needs some down elevator to keep it straight as well... again once I correct the down thrust in engine, this will go away.

Inverted flat spins are no problem.. need flaperons and high rates... didn't loose any altitude. Regular flat spins are easy and loose altitude very slowly. Hovering looks good, but I haven't tried it enough yet...

I only flew it twice and I was trying knife edge loops and inverted flat spins on the second flight.... Pretty crazy...

I think this plane has great potential. Just need to dial it in.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:25 PM
PaulSwany

Default Color Scheme

So far, the consensus is that my color scheme is BUTT UGLY!!

That is from some of my non-******** friends... We'll see what the guys at the field say...

However.... this thing really jumped out in the sky.. I think it will really help with not getting disoriented...

Besides... I kinda like it.... Maybe I'm just a little off or stuck in the 70's..... Either way I'm happy.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:33 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I think it looks good!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:39 PM
PaulSwany

Thanks dude..... I'm rebuilding the landing gear tomorrow out of some higher tensile strength aluminum... and I'm going to mount the engine with 6x32 stainless steel socket head cap screws... The alloy ones are breaking big time....

I really love this plane... the engine is really awesome when it's running good... but you really gotta dial in the needles to get it right... little tempeture change or humidity and your back at it... But when it's right... it's really right!!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:32 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Paul, Like they say, "The uglier they are, the better they fly".... Look at it this way, if it was realllly realllly reallllly pretty, would ya wanna put it into a hover 4 ft off the deck? The less attatched you are to the plane, the more apt you are to wring it out. Guess its a case of the redheaded stepchild comment of the 70s. I like the high visibility concept, but stick with reds, yellows, whites and blues. I love the way my magic pops out against any sky condition at any altitude, but I think its one of the most butt-ugly designs. Keep us posted on all the dialing in changes, cause I think Morris is gonna sell a bunch.

Steve

PS, are you fitting it with skis or ice skates this week?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:49 PM
PaulSwany

One of the really cool things with the butt-ugliness... is that the neon orange glows in the dark!! I can fly it at dusk and still see it!! I love that!!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:28 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Yeah, that would definately work. I get most of my flights late in the day, and fly up to and beyond sundown. Now, I guess what you need to find out is, since the neon covering is heavy, and the color fades as it stays in the sun, does the weight fade too?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:51 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I have the arf version that I fly with a ys 63 and I love that plane. It will climb in an inverted flat spin. I also noticed that the needles seem to be in constant need of adjustment on my MVVS 49. I just built a modified tower hobbies extra special for it. I got a little crazy enlarging the control surfaces. Especially the elevator. I think its about 15% stab and about 85% elevator. And yes ugly airplanes always fly better than pretty ones. My su-do-khoi flies a lot better that I had to rebuild the thing.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:01 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default SUkie

Good looking plane...
Good Luck,