Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris Pen Knife Owners, Please Read

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Morris Pen Knife Owners, Please Read

Old 01-31-2002, 12:11 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Morris Pen Knife Owners, Please Read

I read a couple comments in another thread on this airplane, and have a couple of questions for you pen knife owners.

What engine you using? Would an OS.15 be ok for general sport flying?
What servos you using, and on what control surfaces?
What receiver you using? Will a standard Futaba 127DF fit?

Post some pics of your pen knife if you got em. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2002, 02:10 AM
Foamguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Penknife awhile back. It was a pretty fun little airplane but to be honest it didnt last long. I never crashed it, but on a normal landing, the fuse just broke in half just forward of the leading edge. Pay atttention to this area while building would be my advice.

The plane was hard to balance even with a .32 in it, so with a .15 your gonna need a lot of lead I think. Hate it when that happens. For general sport purposes, I think your gonna be disappointed with a .15. I think a .25 would be more suitable.

I used Futaba 3003 servos, Hitec HS-81 for throttle and Hitec 7 channel receiver, because thats what I had. If I were to do i again, I think maybe I'd use Hitec 225's on 6v. Save a little weight. Consider buying a 6v. battery pack. It really seems to make a difference, although I cannot prove it... Set it up for flaperon/elevator mixing, you'll want that.
The plane was hard for me to hover, it's not very big... but maybe you can do it better than me. It will do pretty awesome knife edge as advertised, although I never could get a K.E. loop out of it.
Probably the most fun I had with it was doing waterfalls, flatspins, and wingtip spins. It really seemed to excel at those. Unfortunately, it broke before I ever really got to learn it's full potential. I didn't like it enough to fix it either. Gave it to RC_Eflyer.

I think you'll probably have a good time with it though. Good Luck !
Old 01-31-2002, 03:14 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used standard everything on mine. I have a Saito 30 four stroke on it but it could use a bit more power. I'll try to get ya some pics later(they are on my other computer)..........John
Old 01-31-2002, 11:51 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pen knife

I'll bet the OS15 will fly it, but I'd recomend building it light, and use mini components on the flight pack. If it was mine I'd use a MACS header & mini mousse can. You could probably leave out a couple ribs, use light ply up front instead of the hardwood. If you have any doubts about a 15 look at these pics. Note that this thing is built very light though. Wingspan is 35 1/2, .........close to the penknife.
If you just build the knife stock, use a 25....even a 25 FP/LA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_1054.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	2036  
Old 02-01-2002, 12:25 AM
Foamguy

It's possible to build a Penknife that might fly ok with a .15 but it really would take some doing.
With normal sized radio gear and monokote covering mine weighed slightly over 3 lbs. That's definitely .32 territory, although a .25 would fly it ok.... just hover power would be marginal.
I looked at the Fun 15 page. Sure wish I read Japanese. Physically, it is roughly the same size as a Penknife, but its much much lighter. Somehow he got it down to about 29 oz. That in my opinion might just work with a .15... barely. My hat is off to that guy. I wish I could figure out a way to translate his page and learn more. I did some math last night.... and if you shrunk his plane just a tad bit more... you would actually be ahead flying it on a Norvel .074 which only weighs about 2 oz but delivers LA .10 power. Wing loading comes out excellent, inertia goes down to almost nothing. I must try it. Or something like it. A mini funfly plane sounds really appealing to me. Maybe a mini Spinsation.
Anyway, if you get that Penknife on a diet and get it to work for you, let us know !
Old 02-02-2002, 03:50 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Hey Foamguy, did you ever consider that it was Shoddy workmanship that caused it to break in front of the wing? hehehe

Joking aside, Foamguy did a great job on it. I think that Fun 15 could be built to 29 oz with the proper ratio of RC_E and Foamguy collaboration.

--RC_Eflyer "PondPaul"
Old 02-02-2002, 06:42 AM
Foamguy

Hey Paul/Everyone,

Here's the Super Diesel ! 2 lbs. 1 oz. Flies awesomely with PAW .19. Norvel .074 funfly plane, here we come !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2107_1273.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2037  
Old 02-03-2002, 01:05 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

That Super Diesel is one Happy Airplane. I'd bet its fun to fly Maybe we should call it the Super Happy Fun Plane.

--Paul
Old 02-06-2002, 12:16 AM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

where can I get a super deisel?
Old 02-06-2002, 12:34 AM
Foamguy

Ghenson,

I scratch built the Super Diesel. I don't have any plans for it. You might consider a Smith Super Special or Stickit V both are extremely similar to the S.D. and both sold by Air Flair.

http://www.airflair.com

Foamguy