Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sig Fazer with SFG

Old 07-15-2006, 05:51 PM
patternman
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Fazer with SFG

The Sig Fazer was my second plane 6-7 years ago, and it has never crashed! I have had a U Can Do and a Twist. An aileron hinge failed in flight sending the U Can Do down in several pieces as the wing ripped out of the fuse. Best mid-air explosion I have ever seen. We were showered by balsa! It lasted less than one season

Broke a fuse on a hard landing with the Twist. It lasted about three flights

The Fazer is used all the time, because it is so predictable and I am "one with the plane", I know it so well. I settled with an o.s. SX .50 ringed with stock muffler. Purrs like a kitten until you open her up. With the APC 11.5 X 4 prop, it takes off vertical and accelerates out out sight. It will do almost anything, but I have taken the time to balance and work on control throws. No mixing though, you can fly out the peculiarities.

Only weak area was knife edge. I added fuse side between cockpit and tail and it helped, but I had been reading about Side Force Generators (SGF) and decided to add them. I am a builder. It flew great before, now knife edge loops no problem. Flat turns look weird and tight, Knife edge at slow speeds, and overall tightness in tracking. Really a great addition.

Anyone interested in seeing building pictures? Same principles could be used for other planes.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24050.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	491864  
Old 07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
AeroDave

Default RE: Sig Fazer with SFG

Really nice mods. Its good to let folks know this technology can be added to any plane, not just what the manufacturers put out. How did you decide where to put them on the wing? Have you read Don Lowe's article in MA on them? He has them out on the tips of his big extra. I just think this stage of new developments, where guys are trying the same thing in different ways is exciting.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:10 PM
patternman

Yes, I read the article in Model Aviation about side force or lateral movement. I think it is cool to experiment with. the mods were simple, you do not have to be a builder, just a little bold. the original plane cost me about $50 as a kit, and was my first kit. Since then, I have learned a couple of guys can put this or the 4 star .40 together in just a few enjoyable evenings. the flying difference is very noticable and I think it looks rad. Took me a couple of hours and materials on hand. I can post building pics if anyone is interested.
[img][/img]

Name:	Yw69224.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	492191  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 AM
JustErik

Patternman,

I'm new here at RCU, but not new to flying. I've been dormant for a few years (divorce will do that to ya!) but am getting back into the hobby by building another Fazer. I had one that I flew for years with a tired old K&B .45 Sportster and I miss it dearly. I've got a new one on order and would love to see/hear more about your SFGs. My only complaint with the Fazer was lackluster knife edge and this sounds like the perfect solution.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 AM
patternman

Eric,
If you have a Fazer not being used, this is the fix. The newer profile planes came out with a much larger fuse. It is not possible to add one to the Fazer, so this is the next best step, and looks cool.
I cut out the covering outside the rib the aileron servo is attached to, and made a template of the ribs contour adding 3" in height.
[img][/img]
I made the SGF out of two pcs of 1/16 glued together cross-grain. With the lightening holes, they only added 2 oz.
[img][/img]
I covered the SFG's, then epoxied them on
[img][/img]
I then added what I am calling a rib cap former to be able to have a rib cap extend into the bay. Therefore I can cover the bay.
[img][/img]
I actually recovered the bay using the original material.

I would not add the extra fuse area that I added until you think you needed it.
If you add area to the rudder, put it on the pack side, not top.

The knife edge has slowed down quite a bit, but there is roll coupling.
I have been doing knife edge loops, but battling rolling or tucking. I think its because of extra fuse area on top side of fuse and extra rudder on top of the rudder. Those areas need to be equal above and below the center line.
BIG improvement though. Perhaps the SGF’s did not have to be as big. I may experiment with adding wingtip winglets, a bit smaller than the SGF’s.

Name:	Ay74065.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	494113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21390.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	494114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41769.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	494115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13008.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	494116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97350.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	494117  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
JustErik

Excellent info! Thanks for taking the time to share. My Fazer kit should be here early next week so I plan to incorporate the SFGs from the beginning.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 PM
patternman

Just did some more messing with the Fazer. Added some fuse area under the belly. not much different in flight. Added some rudder underneath because it was rolling towards the canopy. Now have awesome rudder control, good but shakey knife edge flight, but still no control on the down leg of knife edge loop. I did one sucessfully, but it pithces in or tucks to belly on that long downline. I may take out some of the SGF since I think it is causing turbulance, or I may just leave it. I might add winglets, or ends of wing. On original build, instead of the end rib cap make it oversize.

Name:	Wu61719.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	496968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30687.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	496969