Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP Fusion vs. Katana

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Fusion vs. Katana

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:51 AM
WhoDey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Fusion vs. Katana

I just recently purchased the Fusion X3D while it was on sale and it's currently sitting in the build queue. Now I see that Katana V2 is on sale as well and I have to admit I'm tempted. So I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback on the differences between the two airplanes? Do they fly a lot differently or are they so close that it really doesn't make much sense to own both of them? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:12 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: OMP Fusion vs. Katana

Yes they fly much differently. The Kats like most "funfly" style profiles is designed for pretty much just 3d and hanging on the prop style flying. A great funfly and stick banging plane. Now the Fusion I consider a much more advanced flier meaning it will not be as easy to fly as the Kat however way more capable. The Fusions are designed to fly both precision pattern and 3D. They are what most folks would say much "looser" in the air when it comes to 3d. ALthough I may sound like a salesman, I have to say you can really use both. I fly my Fusions most of the time now however if I just want to bang around a 3d profile I grab either my Kat, Edge, or Yak for down on the deck crazy stuff.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:55 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Yes they fly much differently. The Kats like most "funfly" style profiles is designed for pretty much just 3d and hanging on the prop style flying. A great funfly and stick banging plane. Now the Fusion I consider a much more advanced flier meaning it will not be as easy to fly as the Kat however way more capable. The Fusions are designed to fly both precision pattern and 3D. They are what most folks would say much "looser" in the air when it comes to 3d. ALthough I may sound like a salesman, I have to say you can really use both. I fly my Fusions most of the time now however if I just want to bang around a 3d profile I grab either my Kat, Edge, or Yak for down on the deck crazy stuff.
Listen to Mike. You need both!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:23 PM
WhoDey

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Thanks! From everything I've been told it seems like the Fusion isn't a good 1st step into the 3d/profile world. So I am looking at purchasing another that will be a better introduction.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

That would be a fair statement. The Fusions are advanced planes and the OMP Edge, Yak, or Katana would be much better for starting with 3D. The OMP 47" Edge was specifically designed to be a 3d trainer and has always had great reviews for this reason. Check it out.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Ken,
I have to ask what part of the Cincinnati area are you from. I live a few miles North of Cincy in Hamilton. We are holding a profile / 3-D fly-in on August18-19-20 at the GCRCC field.
Dale
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 PM
AeroDave

I have to say, however, in knowing hands the Kat70 will do most precision moves quite well. I found it especially good for slow rolls and rolling circles. Will it do those moves as good as the Fusion? Probably not, but pilot skill is the real determining factor here. So don't think if you buy the Kat 70 you won't be able to do 8 point rolls. It does them just great.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:56 PM
WhoDey

I actually live over near King's Island. I heard about the profile fly in at the GCRCC and I think I'm going to try my best and make it. Hopefully I should be able to make a good decision on a plane there. Thanks everybody for the help!

Ken
Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Ken,
This coming weekend (12th - 13th) The club is putting on a hugh RC airshow at the Butler Regional Airport from 12 to 4 each day. If you get a chance to stop by look me up. Just ask any one on the flight line who Dale is and they can send you in my direction. Information is available on the clubs website. www.gcrcc.net

Dale