Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Fibreglass Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Goldberg Fibreglass Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Fibreglass Landing Gear

I installed a pair of Goldberg fibreglass landing gears on my Extreme 330. After only 4 flights with VERY gentle landings, one leg completely snapped off. I mounted them with 4- 440 thru bolts per their instructions, but may have drilled the lower two holes too close to the bend at the fuse, which is where it broke. Have any of you had this problem? I am tempted to order another pair and drill the holes a little further away from the bend, but don't want to see them break also. Also looking at the Tetherlite gears from OMP. Are all these glass-fibre gears prone to the same problem of brittleness, or did I just install mine improperly? Have been trying to find some heavy gauge aluminum tempered gears which have the same basic shape and dimensions as the Goldbergs, without success. Anyone know where I can find some? Also thought about modifying some standard 3/32 inch thick gears but would have to rebend the lower leg, anyone tried this?

Thanks, Joe
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Fibreglass Landing Gear

Glass-filled nylon is not prone to brittleness and is extremely tough and flexible enough to take the shock loads!
Good landings!!
Ray
Old 09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
garch 22

Ray, it was my understanding that the glass-filled gears were supposed to be stronger and more flexible, which is why I mounted them on the Extreme which only weighs 5 lbs. Did I get a defective pair or did I mount them incorrectly? Are you the manufacturer of Tetherite gears? Do you have a rule of thumb or a dimension to locate the mounting bolts from the bend on your gears?

Blue Skies, Green Lights
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I have Tetherite gear on all of my profiles. I have pancaked into the ground many times and have never broken a set of them...
Dale
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
tetherite

Hi GARCH22;
Yes, I make Tetherite gear and of the many hundreds of parts sold, have had about 7 cases that I know of where there has been breakage. At the beginning of a run of parts, the first few can have deposits of glass fibre that is not desireable. These are taken out of the production items. You may have gotten one that "escaped".
There have been cases where too many bolt holes were made and has resulted in cracking, but this is the exception and for the most part, folks had situations that demolished their planes!
Let me know if you need additional info.
Good landings!
Ray
Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
garch 22

Ray @ Tetherite, thank you for the information regarding your products. I am still deciding if I want to request a replacement set of Goldberg gears from Tower, but will not order until I know that they are not going to break again. The set that broke caused some damage to my engine and tore up my wing pretty good. Has ANYONE out there used the GOLDBERG profile gears? Any breakage problems? Were they mounted with 4-440 bolts drilled thru the thicker outer part of the gear, and how far up from the bend were they drilled? Any information appreciated.

Blue Skies, Green Lights
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
garch 22

Still looking for some feedback regarding the Goldberg profile gears. Tower says they have sold quite a few. Surely some of you must have installed and used them by now. Only response I have received was from one other fellow who said they will break, but did not give any specifics. I contacted Goldberg, who claims they have had no complaints, asked me to return them, but would not comment on the cause until they see them. I don't want to install another set of their gears if the same problem will occur. Anyone else want to know if these gears have potential problems? Please share your comments.

Blue Skies, Green Lights
Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Joe, this is a hard question to answer as there are several factors such as weight of the plane, where and how big the holes you drilled in the gear are, and what kind of ground you landed on. FOr instance rough ground with holes perhaps. Predominantly like everyone says Tetherite gear is the most popular aftermarket gear folks use. Honestly I can't recall seeing any Goldberg brand at any of the profile meets I've been to.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a set about 6 years ago. Lasted about 3 trips to the field. Never bought another set. Afterwards they started making them w/different compound (was also a different color) that was supposed to not break as easily.

However, have been using a set ot the Tetherites for about 4 years (4 different planes) and have really abused them. They handled my OMP Edge getting shot down (straight in , wide open throttle, from about 100 feet) and besides 2 servos were the only other things that survided. IMHO they are the only way to go.

Try getting your money back and get some better gear.

Jon
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
tetherite

THANK You!
Good landings!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray
Old 09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Bolio

As far as profiles landing gear the only thing that I will ever use is theterite, I use 6-32 stainless steel bolts and nuts and this have broken instead of the gear. I know that sometihng should break when you engine dies at 20 feet high in the middle of a harrier but seen the bolts broken instead of the gear was a nice surprise to me!!!!!!
Theterite rules!!!!!
Saludos.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: garch 22

I installed a pair of Goldberg fibreglass landing gears on my Extreme 330. After only 4 flights with VERY gentle landings, one leg completely snapped off. I mounted them with 4- 440 thru bolts per their instructions, but may have drilled the lower two holes too close to the bend at the fuse, which is where it broke. Have any of you had this problem? I am tempted to order another pair and drill the holes a little further away from the bend, but don't want to see them break also. Also looking at the Tetherlite gears from OMP. Are all these glass-fibre gears prone to the same problem of brittleness, or did I just install mine improperly? Have been trying to find some heavy gauge aluminum tempered gears which have the same basic shape and dimensions as the Goldbergs, without success. Anyone know where I can find some? Also thought about modifying some standard 3/32 inch thick gears but would have to rebend the lower leg, anyone tried this?

Thanks, Joe
Joe, I have the Goldberg on my OMP Katana and they have worked great for me. I personally prefer them over the Tetherite. I think they look better and are just a little shorter but I still have plenty of ground clearance. Maybe it's where the holes were drilled or maybe just a bad set. I've had a few heavy landings on mine and never had any worries about them.
The Tetherite ones work just fine I just think the Goldberg ones look better and work just as good.