Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Sig Ultimate profile

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sig Ultimate profile

Old 02-09-2003, 11:12 PM
stulove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Ultimate profile

I was wondering if a GMS 61 at 22 Oz. would be too much for this plane.It says this engine will put out 2 HP.I see a lot of you guys are using Saito 72's on this plane.They come in at 16.6 Oz. and put out 1.2 HP according to the websites.So I can get a GMS 61 here in Canada for less than 1/2 the price of a Saito 72.Don't get me wrong I like Saitos,I have 2.A 56 and a 100GK.But would the GMS 61 be a good engine on this little profile Bipe using a 12x4 or 12.25x3.75 prop.Any input will be appreciated.I pretty much have it narrowed down to the GMS 47 or 61. I have a GMS 47 on a PT 40 I can use or I could buy a GMS 61 if it would be a better match.

Thanks,
Stuart Love
Old 02-09-2003, 11:53 PM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

Should be a good choice, although i wouldn't use a 12x4, you would want something a little bit bigger like a 13x4 or 13x5.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Jerkey

Default Engine

Personally I wouldn't use that engine and above all that prop with that engine. That engine would use more like a 14X4W prop for fun flying. That engine would be much to heavy for that plane making it fly like a little pig. The most I'd go with this plane would be a Webra 50 or OS 50.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 02-10-2003, 03:47 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Mine has a saito 72, I don't thing the extra 5+ oz will make much difference & you will like the added power. This plane flies awesome with the 72. Use a 13x4 or 13x6 prop

Gil
Old 02-10-2003, 05:23 AM
Maj. Crash

A buddy built one with a Saito 56 , which the spec sheet claims weighs 14.5 oz. It was BAD nose heavy , he mounted the batt. on the rear of the fusselage to help the balance . I would recomend shortening the nose a great deal to get it to balance with the eng you plan to use . I extend the slots in the fuselage for the eng. mt. beams to keep them as long as possible on those models .
Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Mine was built per instructions & ballanced perfectly with the saito 72

Gil
Old 02-10-2003, 12:48 PM
tipstall-RCU

Even a 12" prop gets chewed up with the stock gear. To goto a 14" would require a new gear. With 2 wings the plane has more than normal tip over tendencies. Bending the gear taller and narrower would make this worse.

Good Luck.

Ken
Old 02-10-2003, 03:21 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Mine has a 14x4 APC and clears just fine. I would not recommend a 22 ounce motor for this plane. I've had 2 and both needed tail weight. To balance my Saito 72 on the plans mark, I moved both tail servos to the back. To get it to fly the way I like, I added another ounce. To do a 22 ounce motor, you probably want to hack at least 1.5 inches from the nose, and move the servos back. You will probably still end up with lead. I think it's gonn a be pretty heavy when you're done. I'd stick with a light, but hot, 46 to 53. I would not go above the 17 ounce mark. I wish my plane was a bit ligter already.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:27 PM
stulove

OK,thanks guys.I guess I'll stick with the GMS 47,it's both light and powerful.

Stuart
Old 02-10-2003, 03:29 PM
tipstall-RCU

TailTwister

I like you Hot Hots in your galley. How does it fly?

Ken
Old 02-10-2003, 03:46 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the compliment on the Hots. I love the shape of the Hots. It has not been up yet. There's probably a foot of snow here and teens for a high each day. I'll wait till spring. When I get the urge to fly, I pull out the ole' Zagi and giver' a whirl.

I finished the Su-Do-Khoi 60 now, and I'll have pics in a few days. It turned out pretty good too.

Thanks again for your comment.

Stulove- Good call on the motor. Just check for muffler clearance, you may want an extension. Some exhausts are right in line with the wing. Try for about a 1/4 of an inch clearance to avoid hitting or heating the covering.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:54 PM
tipstall-RCU

TailTwister

I hear you about the weather, I'm in Chicago. I have several new planes ready for nice weather.

I got a wireless camera and had it taped to my Zagi this weekend. Need to play a little more before I try my first mpeg. The first flight looked pretty cool from the air, (until the battery died).

Ken