Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Profile People and NonProfile People >

Profile People and NonProfile People

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Profile People and NonProfile People

Old 03-02-2003, 05:34 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lies

I take great respect in torking other peoples birds on the deck. I only do it for evaluation purposes. I have never said "wish you could do that". But I will not deny I have thought it from time to time. Usually with those people you describe Billy. If you want to really learn to fly, get a profile.

Jess
Old 03-02-2003, 05:49 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Profile People and NonProfile People

You rock Jess...... You can steal my controls and torque my bird anytime you like!! As for those that don't have a taste for this style... To each their own....
Old 03-02-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: ..

Originally posted by Billy Hell
Here she is Spaceman
Billyhell, I think your profiles alll ook awesome and I bet they fly just the same! Very nice man.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I to didn't like the profile image, but I'm working on a OMP 540 g, so my values have changed, infact I have 3 profiles now and that's about all I fly. Except for gyrocopter, lawnmower, speed planes, and a pitts.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:32 PM

My first profile actually was pretty unattractive but the Knife looked great to me and the TopCap looked even better. After that they all looked good. I have a CG Bucker biplane. I love the plane but it's all I can do not to pull the gear and the Saito 1.50 off and build a BIG profile. An 80 inch wing spane Gee Bee would be too cool.
Thanks for all the compliments. I swear I wasn't fishing for those by starting this post. I just figured a lot of us profile boys have to deal with this on a regular basis.
My next profile (after the Sledge gets here) is to build a 7 inch wing span Gee Bee I can set on my office desk. I'm guessing I just need to take my plans to Kinkos and get them downsized.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (45)

It's cool to have a group of guys that understand the obsession.... I show all my stuff to my boys and they're like... "cool dad..." then walk away without really looking at all... My wife shows some interest... Then at the field... half the guys totally slobber... the other half look disgusted...

I'm just glad you guys seem to understand the whole deal... From balsa to monokote... From flat spins to hovering... I know I can always count on this group...

Thanks Billy for your post... Kinda sumed up my own feelings...
Old 03-02-2003, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Do any of you guys ever get the comment..."If you wanted a helicopter you shoulda bought one"...?..............lol
Old 03-02-2003, 04:43 PM

Once I was hovering with a pal of mine. One of our guys yelled, "If you want to hover so bad, buy a heli." It was in good spirit, so no hard feelings.

My wife is lost in the whole thing. "That's nice..." and "I like that color" is about all I get. Now my kids are another story. "That's the coolest plane ever, Dad!" I love to hear that. When I get home from flying, I'm greeted by, "Did you crash today Daddy?" They are 3 and 6 years old, both girls, and love to model with my planes. I dress them up and have them hold the planes, "like the big girls in the magizines". They are a lot of fun.

Most of my club is your average "glad to make it through the pattern" pilots. When I start to get nuts, they like to watch. One guy once told me that I "fly like those guys in the videos". I think he is easily impressed, but at least he is respectful of what others do.

Most of the club here thinks that a profile is a waste of time and money. I've taken some of those people up to the flight line with me as a spotter. I'll fly up real high and ask them to keep count of the spins on the down line. BLENDER!!!! I have yet had anyone offer a count of what really happened. When I put the plane back in the pits, after flying, I usually get a little crowd of very confused faces.

I guess profiles are an acquired taste.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I know how you feel. There is only one guy that i know of that flys profiles in my club. I get called everything from MR. 3D to a frustrated heli pilot! And they only seen me fly me se. Wait till next summer when i break out the 540 with my new satio 72! I will be doing tail touches and tork rolls on the deck. I can just hear the old guys now. I think i got a couple of guys into the profile thing but will have to wait and see.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:16 PM

So I'm hovering doing tail touch n goes and then do a tail landing and a guy comes over to me and says why don't you do any aerobatics? Now to me it is aerobatics but I guess some people think that if it's not spining or tumbling its not aerobatics, so I went up and did flat spins to inverted flat spins and flew around doing everything I knew till the guy went away then I went back down and started hovering again.
It gets old holding the sticks and watching it just spin, sure it looks cool but is not near as fun as hovering.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:28 PM

Most pilots, over the age of 40 or so, say aerobatics and mean pattern aerobatics. A profile can do it, but it just doesn't look right. I ran into that only once. I was approached just like you were. I tried my best to fly some of the aresti kind of aerobatics. The thing was, that I was flying just under head high. Loops look real good when the bottom of it is about 5 feet up. Outside loops look even better. People can relate to a perfect figure in the air, but not to hovers, tumbles, and harriers. "Is that all it does?" I've heard. One guy challenged me once, "Yeah, but can you do an avalanche?" To him, that seemed more dificult that what I was already doing.

It's all what you are used to seeing I guess.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:32 PM

I will say that the guys at our field think I'm a better flyer than I am. The most you will see at our field is loops and rolls. We have 2 hotshots and they aren't there that often so when I do a sweet flat spin or do a harrier landing the pattern guys think I'm a great pilot. I know better than that. I'm just not afraid to bang the sticks. We have one guy I like a lot (he produced all the Led Zeppelin records) he flies a Pro Twister and refuses to do anything but fly the pattern. I beg him to try a flat spin but he won't do it. It's his plane and his fun but it kills me not to see that profile do what it was bred to do!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:52 PM

I went to a big bird fly in a couple of years ago. There were two Carden 40% Caps there. They were beautifully done in the yellow red and blue Breitling colors. Kinda' like the 40 size Kyosho Cap. I was all but drooling as these guys taxied out. The most complex manuver was an outside snap. The rest of the time it was mostly just a pattern. Right turn, la de da de dum, ok right turn, la de da de dum... It's their money I guess.

If I wanted to just fly back and forth... I gotta kite for that.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Easy solution.....
Learn the 3D stuff on the profiles then go get a normal looking plane and do it with that.

Then the only thing they can bit*h about is how your hogging the runway area with your plane. Not what the plane looks like.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:16 PM

Lets keep age out of it. It's in the heart
Old 03-02-2003, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Don't worry .. they will all ways have some thing to cry about. I just built a .40 300 and turned it into a sx. Just to do what your talking about. I know it wont fly like the profile but if its close i will be happy. But of course all i will hear is " do you stuff from center of the field and out. " Even though i am in the center. Uggg. That's ok ... i will have to do some rolling circles on the deck and take up the WHOLE runway. hehe. My club has over 400 people in it and man, let me tell ya, there are a ton of politics involved.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:22 PM

Yeah, what Mark said.............Ed M.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:33 PM

No offense intended with the age comment. I just meant that some pilots think that the word "aerobatics" is synonomous with "pattern aerobatics." Some of them have no respect for a stick banger just out to have fun. It sometimes seems like if it's not on an Aresti Schedule somewhere, that it just doesn't belong in the sky. You can only impress them if you play their game.

"I prefer to see a perfectly executed slow roll... blah blah, blah."

"Well, there ain't never been no perfectly executed nothin' mister, but check this out..." "Of course that's what it was supposed to do!"
Old 03-02-2003, 06:35 PM

We have "old foggies" in our club that are in their 30's and 40's
Its a state of mind. Not a number.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:33 PM

Right on Wgeffon,

I'm real fortunate to have a very wide variety of folks to fly with. there are scale folks, wild profilers, combat, and folks that just like to float around. The mix is ballanced enough that it is just obvious to everyone that thier perspective is not the only valid one around, so nobody looks down their nose at anyone else.

When i see a guy bring out a new bird, truthfully sometimes i'm not all excited about it, because for what ever reason, it isn't a plane that interests me, but unless the pilot is rude or mean he deserves and gets respect. The planes are what make it an airplane club, but it is the people that make it a club.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:40 AM
My Feedback: (10)

wgeffon, If I were 60 (now 43) I'd still be rockin' with a 3D profile. I can't wait till I'm the old geezer that 3D's and buzzes around the 35-40 year old guys with my "new generation profile"!! It's a state of mind I guess. There just aren't many 3D flyers in K.C. and I've had to pretty much learn it myself, with the help of lots of INTERNET friends like you guys.

Earlier in February I finished my Ohio GS540 and flew it. It's funny how the profiles don't get much static respect, but hands down, when I harrier it in and do a 2-4 foot high hover and torque roll, it gets looks and comments. I think the performance of the profiles speak for themselves. I hear a lot of guys say stuff like, "I think I'm going to get me one of those profile planes to horse around with, they look like so much fun." Those flyers don't have any idea what they are missing!

JW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59826_464.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	36948  
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 AM

Exactly RCU! Well said.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 AM

Default 3-D

My first day at a field was in Dec. 2002 here in SD. THe first guy I saw there took of and hoovered for like 7 min then landded. No turing no spins. I thouhgt at the time thats was cool but something was missing.
THe next guy took of with a cub or something highwing and flew the pattern for the wind. I thought it was cool. THe next day I bought a trainer and begged people to take me up. THe only guy that would was jerrysu31. He was my train for the week i was on the box. BLAGH Blah you know the story.
Well I soloed the next time out to the field cause he was still at Hardees and I was bored. He never did show up and I was now solo.
Then I bought a Top Cap 3 days after my solo and then hovered my 2 day out with it. I knew instantly why he did not turn. Well you all know the Feeling. And the Profile make that feling possible.
A lot of guys at the field were upset that I soloed by myself and that I had a topcap so soon. But after they all saw me fly they shut up. I would like to say a big thanks to jerrysu31 for making this all possible. And I would like to thank Billy and the termigator for there thread that started all of this. But I have learned that planes dont have to look good to fly GREAT. That was a jab at my very Poor covering skills. But if was better I would not be hoovering my 2nd day. They will always make more arfs!!!!!!!!!

Sorry so long Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59801_21158.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	36949  
Old 03-03-2003, 02:31 AM
My Feedback: (16)

yep Billy I understand you.
Was out yesterday with the GeeWHizBee (first time for her on a weekend), and was so proud to show her to all the guys.
All they said was : Boy is that an ugly plane, but I guess it flies pretty good.
I was shocked, but then realized that I might not find their Ultrasports and Four*60's attractive either. Everybody has it's own preferences.
I love how the GeeWhizBee looks, and for sure love the way she flies.

Gator, send me that newspaper. I'll move to Memphis. When you leave Houston after the Fun fly, I will be hanging on your window going : "Please take me with you"
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 AM

i'm 55 and just now getting started with 3D.....just hate the fact that now i'm the "old fart" should have ordered "old fart" on my new Pro Bro shirts that i just received today.saving em for N.C. on the 15th
there are no other 3D ers in my local club. thanks to rcu (all you guys)I've learned more in the last 4 months than in the the last 4 years!

Billy, great job on the shirts!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.