Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Profile People and NonProfile People >

Profile People and NonProfile People

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Profile People and NonProfile People

Old 03-03-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profile People and NonProfile People

Profiles have a proud history.
I was flying control line stunt profiles when I was a kid.
Flight Streak (cool looks), Midwest Magician (so so looks great flyer) etc.
It's amazing how similar some of todays fun flys look to CL profile stunt.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default PROFILES

I'M 44 and started Flying Profiles a year ago. me and dad 66 years young. love flying Profiles.
He get me into flying 2 years ago. we wonted a removable wing for the Profiles. so we went to work on it. and we came up
with one that worked
for 20 to 1.20
we Profile all airplanes now.
the fest one was a 60 stick. it
came out very good. here is a Photo of it. so people that do not like profile
do not like flying for fun.
PROFILES OR FOREVER FOR ME. my 0.02cs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59879_1308.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	36950  
Old 03-03-2003, 01:25 PM

I have only had one comment about 3d flying

I was doing a bunch of rolls, high alpha stuff real slow and low to the ground when some "old fogey" came up to me and said

"why dont so stop flying so slow so the rest of us can fly" (refering to that he JUST started his "aerobatic fly in circles plane" and wanted to take off ... but I guess saying "going up" is too much hassle)

I was this close -----> <------ to saying

"why dont you stop flying so fast so the rest of us REAL pilots can fly"
but I held my tounge

most of the guys are fine with my flying and even some of the "more expierienced" flyers have asked me for tips on how to hover and such.

I have only been flying a year but when i got a plane that I wasnt afraid of wrecking (a something extra) my flying skills jumped alot.

its amazing what you can teach yourself when you dont care if the plane you are flying acually makes it through the trick or not.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A profile Magician? Never saw that one, but I've flown Flight Streaks and Flight Streak Jrs. I'm sure you had the old Ringmaster too, right? Sig Banshee or Twister? I once had a Profile Smoothie, now that was a good plane. I have a Dee Rice Oriental (non profile) in my basement ready to go. Sometimes I miss flying around in circles.

Talk about something that very few people have respect for... I was at our club meeting a while back. (History is that my club is deeply divided. Power guys here, and glider/silent guys there. We don't even sit together at meetings.) Our club blowhard was lecturing us that we are about ALL kinds of flying. We can have gliders, aerobats, and scale flying. We can do ALL flying, as that is why we were founded, for ALL kinds of flying. I asked where the C/L cirlce was. He said, "That's different."

I like to watch someone really try to create scale flying with a scale plane. It's harder than it sounds. I like to see our glider guys somehow find a thermal and darn near leave orbit. But I most definatly love to see an airshow right down on the deck. I'm one of about 3 pilots, in my club, who get right down there. I don't do it all the time, but it's fun. Most of the guys I fly with have learned to recognize the look on my face when they should just stay seated.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by TailTwister
Most of the guys I fly with have learned to recognize the look on my face when they should just stay seated.
Tailtwister,
Can we put that on our wings?! Great saying!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM

All of my fabulous quotes are hearby rendured public domain. Please feel free to put them where you like. In the past I've said things and received many suggestions where to put them...

My favotite one currently is:
"Life is like the relationship between the hammer and the nail, Nothing matters if you are the nail."
Old 03-03-2003, 07:16 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Default Sudokhoi

Of all my planes, I know my Sudo is my favorite! I yell over to the glider guys and say, "watch my impersonation of a high start!". Then I go full throttle, let the plane go out of my hands and go straight up. About 200 feet I chop the throttle, come back down, touch and go straight up and do it all over. The first time I did that their jaws were almost hitting the ground. Too cool! The newbies are complaining about how I can land WAAAAAAYYYYYYY slower than their trainers. I would be lost without my Sudo! I'm highly considering a knife next. Yea Morris!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:58 PM

Profiles RULE! I just have to figure out a way to store all the ones I plan to build. I just finished a new one yesterday that has a mono wheel set up like i use on boom planes. 36" span, 18"chord O.S. 32 for power. we'll see how it flies this weekend.....
Old 03-03-2003, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by AeroDave
Profiles RULE! I just have to figure out a way to store all the ones I plan to build. I just finished a new one yesterday that has a mono wheel set up like i use on boom planes. 36" span, 18"chord O.S. 32 for power. we'll see how it flies this weekend.....
I want to see it !!!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 PM

I don't know how to post it........I have a digital camera, but I'm brain dead.......How do you do it?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:59 PM
My Feedback: (5)

click on the bottome "post reply" and after you get your words in at the bottom you will see browse. click that and go find the pic.

Clear as mud.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:13 AM

Billy, are we profile people or what....sounds like a song
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60084_21014.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	36951  
Old 03-04-2003, 02:33 AM
My Feedback: (2)

That looks great. You know your plane looks like it was made for that logo as well!
I love that covering scheme. A Knife?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:31 AM
My Feedback: (3)

If your camera doesn't have instructions that match your computer. Then you need to call the camera company and they will lead you threw it.
That's how I did it!

Don
Old 03-04-2003, 05:12 AM
Banned

Billy,

I built a knife for my first profile, and even before it left the ground I knew it was going to be fun. I think I am the only one at our field with a profile, but no one has made any ugly comments. However, they do quickly land when I take off not sure why, but I think it has to do with my flying in a 40ft box. I love the scheme on your gwb great Job!
Old 03-04-2003, 01:01 PM

thanks,
yes it is a knife...wife is really hard on me about color matching...we can be three hours late because "our outfits dont match"
anyway, cant wait to go to N.C....having a hard time hovering with any stability...hope to learn some "cool stuff" there.

squintsf16,

your guys know to "just stay seated!"
Old 03-04-2003, 04:02 PM
My Feedback: (16)

That picture looks great Hacker. Didn't know that they are now also matching covering jobs according to our shirts
Pro Bro's rule !
Old 03-05-2003, 12:43 AM

Well i sure do love the profile stuff too. Iv flown turbines, heli's, and 1/4 scale, but I always love to have a good wring it out session with a profile. Sold the jet, 1/4 scale, and heli,...still have the profiles. Just great hassle free fun. Long live the profile madness..

Andy
Old 03-05-2003, 01:52 AM

I like not having assemble anything or tear down at the end of the day. Get to the field, fuel, fly, and ask everyone whats taking them so long. Then at the end of the day wipe it down toss it in the Jeep and off you go.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 PM

I know how all of you feel about your displays of aeronautical art only to have people just not understand. My wife hate my profiles she calls them flat ugliness. But man do they perform something fierce and on a low budget.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:45 PM

Default North Charleston RC Airfield?

Brian - where in north Charleston do you fly? And does your club have a website? I would appreciate knowing it. I travel to Charleston, SC allot on business. I would like to take a couple of my Fun Flies down and fly after work sometimes. I nomally work in Goose Creek when I am down in that area.
Kevin
Old 03-25-2003, 02:10 AM
Banned

Kevin,

my club is actually in jedburg, which is right off of I-26 (exit 194).
Our website is www.jedburgflyers.com, and I am the president of the club. We would love to have you stop by sometime. My email address is [email protected]. Drop me a line and I'll tell you how to get in touch with me.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:31 PM

Sunday I was flying my latest original design profile in a really big wind. The wind was at my back blowing 25 to 30 knots. I was doing low hovers close in. As soon is the plane hovered the wind would take the plane away real fast. It looked just like those targets they use at indoor gun clubs on the tracks that take them out to the end of the range. i had a great time pasting the plane to the sky and watching it zoom across the field. Ahhh, the simple pleasures of a profile.......
Old 03-25-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Over Age Acro

Hey, I love you guys, but Tailtwister, you've gotta cut us guys over 60 some slack. Here I am, 65, working, drawing Social Security, and spending it on RC. Some of us modelers never grow old. I have 2 ex'es that swore I never grew up.

You guys are getting the same thing I got 30 years ago. You fly too close, you fly too low, you do acro in everybody's face. I've heard them all. I went from CL combat and rat race to RC in 1970. A few years later, I dropped a .60 in a .40 sized plane (there weren't any .46's in those days) and got a huge ration about being unsafe.

Then there was the time in about 1978 I put a piped Fox .50 in a small plane, put a handle on top and hand launched it vertically myself. Did I hear about that.

Hang in there, they've eventually go away. Then the new guys will assume that's the normal way to fly.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:20 PM

Like I said earlier, no offense was intended by my earlier comments.

If I'm going to be down on the deck, I try to take off when nobody else is up there.

Maybe I'm saying that if I'm up alone, and I go to the deck, and you want to fly too, how about waiting a couple of minutes. After all, how long can 4 to 6 ounces of fuel last anyway.

If I want to fly while one of our race guys is up, I don't just take off and then complain about how fast he is going.

I guess it's a "go with the flow thing".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.