Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:16 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

I doesn't sound like it was tail heavy, I mean that usually makes a plane VERY pitch sensitive
Old 03-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default QHOR

Here's my QHOR in a low and slow harrier pass. Engine is a Norvel 25 spinning a Grish 9x4 prop. Weight is 3 lbs, 1 oz with a 5 cell battery for faster servo speed and power (Futaba S-128). Balance point is at 1/2" behind the top fold.

I've been flying my QHOR for a couple of weeks now, and it's proven to be an absolute blast to fly!

I've looped it, (and crashed it), rolled it, (and crashed it), spun it, (and crashed it), flown it fast, (and crashed it), flown it slow, (and crashed it), harriered it, (and crashed it), hovered it, (and crashed it), torque rolled it, (and crashed it), and even reached out and grabbed it out of the air, (and of course, crashed it). Although I've been able to get the QHOR to do flat skidding turns, I still haven't been able to get the QHOR into a true flat spin.

The QHOR has survived everything I've intentionally thrown at it......and more importantly.....everything I've unintentionally thrown at it.

Congratulations Tattoo! Great design!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62794_1463.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	37800  
Old 03-14-2003, 02:56 AM
Dave McDonald

Default More QHOR action

Here's my QHOR in what looks like an inverted harrier pass.

In reality, this is a photo of the QHOR taken just a split second after running out of fuel in a hover.......otherwise known as a "Tail First Geological Exploration". (notice the bone dry tank.)

Name:	62800_1463.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	37801  
Old 03-14-2003, 03:45 AM
Dave McDonald

Default One more QHOR photo....

Here's the QHOR again....this time hanging motionless in a slight breeze.

(And a special thanks to my nephew Bryan for taking these photos!)

Name:	62817_1463.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	37802  
Old 03-14-2003, 06:40 AM
FrankC29

Dave, your experience sounds similar to mine (the crashing parts). It's a tough bird. The lg gets hammered though!
How has your fuse held up? After the 15th crash or so, mine bent a bit. I bent it back, but I can tell it will bend easily now.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Dave McDonald

Frank,
So far, my fuselage rail is holding up just fine......no sign of bending at all.

Now the landing gear is another story. I've lost count of how many times I've had to straighten it back out. But this isn't a design fault.....it's my fault for playing too rough with the QHOR at times.

So far, only two crashes have resulted in any damage.
The first time was when I ran out of fuel in a hover (see post #29 above), and the tail first impact knocked the vertical fin loose, but not off. (The fin was slipped back into position, and the QHOR was flying again within minutes.)

The second time was when I was experimenting with inverted harriers. Somehow I managed to get the wing into a deep inverted stall and the QHOR began falling nearly straight down, but with the fuselage nearly level with the ground. Full power moved the plane forward slightly, but full power couldn't break it out of this deep stall. So the QHOR continued to drop like a brick and hit the ground pretty much flat on it's back, which tore the vertical fin completely off. (Again, the vertical fin was slipped back into position, and the QHOR was flying again within minutes.)

Moral? Don't be afraid to push your QHOR beyond the limits! It can take it!
Old 03-15-2003, 02:42 AM
ben flyn

Dave,
Have you become a better flier because of not having to worry about destroying your PBF and QHOR? In other words, trying more dare-devil stunts you would try on other planes?
Because of the quickness of the PBF, has it given you more confidence to fly other planes?
Old 03-15-2003, 03:07 AM
Tattoo

Check out Kraut's new QHOR

This is the result of Ben Fly'n's question...and the answer is a resounding yes...BIG TIME!!!...oh yeah...no damage and lot of laughter

Old 03-15-2003, 04:59 AM
Dave McDonald

Have you become a better flier because of not having to worry about destroying your PBF and QHOR? In other words, trying more dare-devil stunts you would try on other planes?
IMHO, the answer would be yes. Once you get over the fear of crashing, it gives you the confidence to actually attempt those "dare-devil stunts". But more importantly, flying an indestructible airplane allows you to keep trying those "dare-devil stunts" over and over again without having to repair or replace your airplane between attempts. (example of repair or replace: the beat-up Stickit in my avatar.)

Because of the quickness of the PBF, has it given you more confidence to fly other planes?
IMHO, learning to fly a PBF will help improve your reflexes to where other less maneuverable planes will become more relaxing to fly. Plus other equally maneuverable, or more maneuverable planes will be far less intimidating.

And the better you get at simultaneously coordinating all four control functions when flying your PBF (or QHOR), the easier it will be to fly everything else.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:53 AM
fejetmech
My Feedback: (3)

has anyone changed the engine mount design. I have broken my engine mount 2 times out of 3 crashes. Maybe my cutting board material is the problem. Any ideas. Love the plane though more stable than the pbf. will be a good platform for my black widow video system.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Silly me

rather break the engine mount before you brake the motor
Old 03-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Tattoo

Make sure the cutting board you buy says "Poly" on the lable. I've seen some at Wal-Mart that go by the name "Fiberware" and they are brittle. I believe those are made from second generation plastic (same principle as partical board). I've been using the milky white (almost see through) poly cutting boards on everything from sport planes to combat planes to the QHORs...and I've piledrived some in pretty hard...and have yet to bust a poly engine mount.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Tattoo,

My fuselage is the standard 32", using the same exact brand and type of C channel as yours. The only modification I made to your design was to shorten the chord by 1/2" (accidentally), and increase the wingspan by 2" (to account for the loss of wing chord).

All I know is that there's an awful lot of flex in the fuselage forward of the wing. The engine flops all over the place.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:41 PM
fejetmech

Tattoo
Yup that is exactly what I used the plastic looks almost porous. Back to the store to find a poly one . Thanks
Old 03-18-2003, 12:35 AM
Tattoo

You bet! You will find out that the poly is wierd to cut and if you go too fast it will actually try to melt back together behind the cut!...but the extra effort is well worth it!

mkirsch,
I really don't know how to respond to the flex issues you're having, as we're not experiencing any trouble. It may be possible that what you think is excessive is normal to us. Sure the engine is not as solid as a carbon fiber mount screwed to a plywood box fuselage like a conventional airplane...but in a tail touch flip over to ground nap...a little flex works to your advantage! We've been thrashing these kinds of airplanes all over the place...and it's INCREDABLE what kind of abuse they can take!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:42 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Question,
I went to the local hardware store today, and I couldn't find any channel thats 3/4x 1/2. All I could find was 7/8" by 1/2. the 7/8" being the width of channel. Do you guys think that will be OK. It was either 7/8"x1/2" or 1/2"by 1/2". So I bought the 7/8"

Second, can you tell me what everybody is weighting. Because my FP with hover the snot out of a 3lb PBF, and I am taking that motor off and going to use it on my QHOR.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:23 AM
Tattoo

Mine with the Norvel .25 weighed in at almost 3 pounds on the nose. The .40 sized version with a TT gp .42 weighs 3 pounds 12.5 ounces

This is the sticker on the channel I use. The 3/4" is the inside diameter...it is actually 7/8" OD!

Name:	63768_3860.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	37803  
Old 03-18-2003, 02:52 AM
m.gramling

Looks like I am in business. Mine is 7/8 O.D. Looks like when I can kick this flu, I will start building my QHOR
Old 03-18-2003, 09:53 AM
fejetmech

M Grambling, got to home depot they have the chanell you need 8 bucks. I just bought a stick from there for mine. I am using an os 40 fp plenty of power, but had problems with cuting board/engine mount breaking on crashes. Now using aluminum/honeycomb composite material for engine mount its lighter. flys good with cg 1 inch aft of top wing f
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 PM
m.gramling

I just checked my channel it 7/8" O.D. and 3/4" I.D. like Tattoos. I bought me a 72" stick of it at local hardware store for 6.99 + tax. So I am in business. I should start building this thing on Thursday. And if it rains like it suppose to... I should have it build. Because I won't go flying.
I think I got all my parts together.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:23 AM
ben flyn

Default Doesn't glide very well?

Has anyone tried dropping both ailerons an 1/8" to get more lift from the wing?
Old 03-24-2003, 03:04 PM
ben flyn

Default WOW!!!!!!!!

Sunday, I flew my rebuilt QHOR; and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! The first reversion I made was to lessen the wing thickness from 2 1/4" to 3/4" then I shorten the fuse by 7" and that's it. I also built an engine mount out of a poly cutting board rather than a Lexan.
It hovers like a dream; did a tail touch the second flight, it's A LOT more stable than the PBF. With the 40" wing span, it's easier to keep strait in a hover, coupled with a Saito 56 four stroke it hovers at 1/3 throttle, then it blasts out of it with no trouble at all. It flies at a crawl, the first landing I did with it, was into a 10mph wind, it stayed level, no forward movement, and dropped gently down to a landing 50ft. down!!!!!
I set my aileron's so they both were 1/4" lower than level hoping to give it more lift; it still drops (not glides) like a rock! This is a total 3D airplane, it flies of the prop all the time!
The QHOR flies so well I HATE flying my (balsa) Ultra Stick! It is wonderful to fly something that won't break even if you try something daring like a tail touch!!

THANKS TATTOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Tattoo

Rock On!!!!

By the way...we are finding the QHOR basic airframe condusive to all kinds of ideas!!! Check out Sassy's new GeeBeeGHOR

Old 03-24-2003, 03:54 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

That is too cool Tattoo!! Nice job Sassy!!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Kris3D
My Feedback: (1)

Wow Mark, Now I gotta see this thing and your pbf fly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.