Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP katana v2 70

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP katana v2 70

Hi everyone

I got the plane yesterday and started the biuld today. I am very happy with it so far. The plane has gone together smoothly, plane is biult beautifly, WONDERFULL covering job, and the hardware package is excellent. I had to dremel away to get the motor to fit in the mount (sk 91 2 stroke) and as usual had to enlarge the holes to get the screws to fit. It is a pain in the butt to drill engine mount wholes without a drill press. Anyway, the weight so far is roughly 5.7 pounds. I still have 3 servos/battery/reciever/ and all the hardware to add. My predicted weight is 6.3 pounds. That is going to be awesome because my funtana x50 (wich had the same sk 91) would pull out of hover with authority, on a full tank of gas, weighing in at 6.8 pounds drie.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
The Toolman

Default RE: OMP katana v2 70

Jeez, 6.3 lbs? Everybody told me to keep them 5 or under. My Edge 540 V3 came in at 5 1/4lb without fuel, and I'm trying to figure out where to eliminate about 4 oz from it.

Ronnie
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Jeez, 6.3 lbs? Everybody told me to keep them 5 or under. My Edge 540 V3 came in at 5 1/4lb without fuel, and I'm trying to figure out where to eliminate about 4 oz from it.

Ronnie

might want to check the title....I believe the origianl poster is talking about the larger version
Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
The Toolman

I read the title, I just didn't pay close attention to the size part.......hehe

Ronnie
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Cambo

Yep i am talking about a 70 size

Anyway
I continued the biuld. Most of the conrtol horns are in and they look to be good quality. Running the servos from the tail to the front was a b#$%h though. Took me like over an hour. I am wondering how you guys are dealing with the installation of the wing. It seems that unless i run a servo extension for every channel out the wing it will be hard to plug in the servo leads. Do you guys simply run servo extensions?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
The Toolman

Thats why I got the small 47" OMP edge. That way I don't hafta take the wings off to haul it.

Somebody needs to invent a plug for all the wires that you can plug together for everything at once.

I guess you could use 4" ext for all of them at the RX and then plug the other leads into them, that way you wouldn't hafta mess with plugging an unplugging them right at the RX.

Ronnie
Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 PM
bigdarylg

used to take me anywhere from 20 to 25 min. to put mine together. loved the plane just hated to get it out because of the time it took.
decided i had to fix the problem.one of the members in my club,Gregg with the Upper Valley Fun Fliers, suggested i get a small receiver( I used the Berg 7 ch.) cut a slot in the fuselage to mount the receiver perpendicular through the fuse,plugged in the tail servos,then with a dremel i routed a slot in the side of the fuse from the throttle back to the receiver for the throttle wire,plugged this in of course keeping the slot within
the profile of the wing. then i enlarged the cutouts in the wing so that they slid over the receiver, plugged the battery into a y to the left aileron and now all i do is plug in the two aileron wires to extensions off the receiver and bolt the wings together. takes less than five minutes to put together now.what a super idea,makes it so much more pleasurable to pull this plane out now. by the way this is the most neautral plane i have ever owned. a real joy to fly. if this doesn't explain it good enough and anyone wants pics let me know and i'll see what i can do
Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Great tip Daryl and that is exactly what most folks are doing with the two-piece wing slabs. Mount the rx in the fuse, does not matter if it extends into the wing or not. Then all you have to connect are teh two aileron leads...just like any other large plane.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 AM
georgec

ORIGINAL: bigdarylg

used to take me anywhere from 20 to 25 min. to put mine together. loved the plane just hated to get it out because of the time it took.
decided i had to fix the problem.one of the members in my club,Gregg with the Upper Valley Fun Fliers, suggested i get a small receiver( I used the Berg 7 ch.) cut a slot in the fuselage to mount the receiver perpendicular through the fuse,plugged in the tail servos,then with a dremel i routed a slot in the side of the fuse from the throttle back to the receiver for the throttle wire,plugged this in of course keeping the slot within
the profile of the wing. then i enlarged the cutouts in the wing so that they slid over the receiver, plugged the battery into a y to the left aileron and now all i do is plug in the two aileron wires to extensions off the receiver and bolt the wings together. takes less than five minutes to put together now.what a super idea,makes it so much more pleasurable to pull this plane out now. by the way this is the most neautral plane i have ever owned. a real joy to fly. if this doesn't explain it good enough and anyone wants pics let me know and i'll see what i can do

I would like to see some pics. I think I know what you are talking about but would like to see some pictures.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an example of a fuse mounted RX (Spektrum AR7000) in my Fusion 52. The only connections that must be handled at the field are those for the left/right aileron servos. All others remain fixed.

Simple is better....

On my Edge V3....I plugged everything together with as few extensions as possible, and leave the wings attached. That's the best arrangement I can think of. Anything that doesn't need to be fooled with at the field is GOOD in my book.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21264.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	736102  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
bigdarylg

mine is just like what racecity is showing,works great
Old 08-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Cambo

Got everything istalled and balanced.

All up weight is 6.5 pounds. The wing wasn't that bad to get on. Took me about 10 minutes. I ran extensions for each channel and kept the reciever in the wing.

I am very excited, i am 4 oz lighter than my funtana and have almost 300 more inches of wing area!

Balance is right on at 6.5. I am going to weight and take a few flights at 6.5 before i move it back. I can change out the 2.5oz aluminum spinner for a 1oz prop nut. That should shift the cg back to 7-7.5 if i want too.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 AM
liquid_TR

I absolutely love the way my katana v2 70 flies.. - One thing tho - would it be too wild if I moved the CG to the point where "profile" canopy silhouette starts?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 AM
liquid_TR

as in this photo:

Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Cambo

I think that is were i have mine balanced, will have to check again though.

What did your weight come out to be?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
liquid_TR

I havent weighed mine. But we can work out from the extras. SAITO 100 on the nose with a dubro spinner nut + 15X6 APC + 5 hitec 475HB's all around + NIMH 2400mAh 6V pack + futaba R136F 6 channel receiver + 30 Grams of ballast lead at the tail + wing structures fully reinforced with brush using diluted 30min epoxy and re-covered with Oracover (maybe 15-20grams difference from the originals).
Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
liquid_TR

too further move the CG where I showed in the photo, I will remove the lead ballasts, and stick the battery pack on the back of profile fuselage it self.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Cambo

I made a few changes today to loose some weight.

I changed from the stock sk muffler to a the tower .75. I gained a few hundred RPMs but lost 2.5 ounces. I switched from the big tru-turn2-1/2 spinner to a prop nut and saved another ounce. I should be at 6.4 pounds know.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Cambo

I got the plane out today and it was awesome!!! It took off and climbed with authority. Unlimited verticle. I was flying untill it was just a little spec in the sky. Hovering was under 1/2 throttle on the stick. It accelerates out off hover nicely. And man, i love how big this wing is. The plane doesn't seem to care were i point the wing. It just wouldn't stall. Ofcourse i wasn't doing anything to serious but i was doing stuff that my funtana couldn't dream to do without a serious stall. I put the plane into a knife edge and i was holding it at 1/4 throttle with almost no rudder imput. My funtana WITH SFGS took 3/4 throttle and almost full rudder through. So, next i decide to try a wall. My usual procedure (with my funtana) was to accelerate, then chop the throttle, then pull ALL THE WAY BACK on the stick. Usually the funtana would pop right into a hover (i might add, the funtana had more elevator through than the katana). So i procede to do this with the v2. I accelerate, chop the throttle, yank the stick and HOLLY #$# i am heading right toward the ground. She had done a complete loop. EXCELLENT!! And for once i can LAND. Unlike my funtana, i dropped the engine to idle on the katana and floated in like a trainer. No stall, no bounce, just dead perfect landings.

One thing about a profile it is harder to see in hover, i am going to try and get it down lower so i can see it better.
The landing gear is a little flimsy also but it is holding up for now. One of my alerions was also a little warped, wich concerned me but i didn't notice it untill i installed them on the wing. No matter, it flew PERFECTLEY. I couldn't ask for more

Thanks Everyone for the help.

I can't wait to take it out again tommorow.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cambo
One thing about a profile it is harder to see in hover, i am going to try and get it down lower so i can see it better.
You'll soon be dragging the rudder through the grass -- that's the great thing about profiles, they *are* so easy to fly that it gives your confidence a great boost. I've worn out the rudder on my Katana (I fly over tarmac) -- and it *is* nearly four years old.

The landing gear is a little flimsy also but it is holding up for now.
Yeah, the gear is a bit of a joke. I replace all my ARF profile landing gear with a custom-made carbon/glass composite set. They're virtually unbreakable and will handle anything you throw at them.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Cambo

X-Jet you are totally right. Profiles are the easiest things in the world to fly. It just seems like no matter were i put it stays there . I am heading out again tommorow for some more profile flying
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Cambo

I had put 40 minutes on her today. What a BLAST. I have never seen dead perfect hovers. Beautiful Walls. Knife edge flight and high alpha knife edge is BEAUTIFUL. The plane already has some people sold and I am pretty sure one is going to order it today. What a great plane. I am having a blast.

Thanks OMP

AND TMPro !!!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
sean sutherland

This is Great Stuff Guys! But how about somes photos or better still Videos, Videos, Videos!

Rolls and Loops

www.tmproaustralia.com
Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Cambo

I have decided to sell mine. If anyone is interested in a relativley new katana let me know. Moving on to a 1/4 scale cap.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=329737