Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Full Flying Surfaces

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Full Flying Surfaces

Old 03-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Deanoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Flying Surfaces

Hey I am going to start experimenting with full flying control surfaces. Has anyone tried this or do you know of any web site around?

Any infor to help make experimentation a little easier would be great.

THanks!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:09 PM
BotleRocketWar

All I know is-

A couple of the ARF's from Esprit models use them...

A full flying stabilizer/elevator is called a stabilator!

If the pivot point is not at just the right location, flutter can become a huge problem. I don't know where that point is...

You need a strong servo!

I'll be watching this thread, should be interesting...
Old 03-21-2003, 03:08 AM
lomcevek1

I agree with all the above, if you can iron out the bugs I bet that it would be a KILLLER 3D machine if not only just to do waterfalls
Old 03-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Deanoo

Yeah, I'm thinkin eventually full flying wingerons!!!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 AM
lomcevek1

With taileron mixing?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Gizmo3D

Hey guys!

I'm currently developing a design for an assault on the British fun fly nationals which includes an all moving tailplane (or stabilizer as you yanks seem to call 'em!) and all moving fin. I learnt an awful lot from my first design, though mainly what not to do! Check out my gallery for pics of the first, and the infinetly better second design (the blue and clear one!)...

I'll try and save you some grief by telling you my findings...

Firstly flutter is a big problem! It is very important to mass balance the surface so that any potentially catastrophic run-away oscillation is damped out. To do this make the surface nose heavy i.e. if unconnected from the servo, the tailplane should rotate so that its in the 'up' position (i.e. leading edge lower than trailing).

Secondly to avoid killing the servo you need to aerodynamically balance the tail - i.e. have the pivot point so that there is maybe 2/3rds the area behind, 1/3rd in front... roughly! Don't exactly know what the ideal ratio is, but as long as the servo is getting some 'help' it should be ok.

Naturally the same applies to the fin or any other surface.

To further increase you're chances of a second flight (!) make sure that any slop in the linkages is to a minimum lest flutter develop, and the ground rise to smite thee!

If not then you should fully expect your tail or whatever to explode quite spectacularly as mine did on one occasion. Coming out of a big loop (power off so not at a great speed) the tailplane powderised itself at which point i used all my british championship winning skill, promptly panicked and pulled full up. The plane pitched down due to the flaperons mixed in, and by the time i worked out down was up and vice-versa, i was 5 foot off the deck inverted! Phew! Anyway i landed ok! Just a cautionary 'tail' for you!

- Martin

ps. there is a post on the aerodynamics thread that talks about elevators vs all flying surfaces - could be of some use? There appears to be people of superior knowledge to me there!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:24 AM
lomcevek1

Good to know I will wait for those more daring than I to solve the problems then Reap the rewards by a Great flying machine.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Azarr

Originally posted by Deanoo
Yeah, I'm thinkin eventually full flying wingerons!!!!!
I actually did this with Dan Stevens Stickit V. Dan did the initial design and I ended up moding it some. The tail was non moveable and the wing was rotated for both pitch and roll, with the pivot right on the CG. Two Futaba heavy duty coreless servos in each wing, with some creative mixing in the transmitter.

There were some "minor" problems. Without a moveable tail the loops were too large to be competitive. The rolls however, were unbelieveable. You had to see it to believe it. Faster than any comp fun fly roll I've ever seen. It rolled so fast it actually made noise pushing all that air around. Stopping the roll; however was another story, lost servo gears just about every time so the project was scrapped. It was a fun experiment though and it's still on the back burner waiting for one of thos e "roundtuits".

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 03-22-2003, 06:13 PM
BotleRocketWar

There is a version of the Clany Aviation Lazy Bee that uses wingerons...