Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Weston Cougar Repair - Worthwhile? >

Weston Cougar Repair - Worthwhile?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Weston Cougar Repair - Worthwhile?

Old 03-22-2003, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Cougar Repair - Worthwhile?

Hi everyone,

Last week I crashed the cougar. Obviously I was a bit gutted, so its laid on the garage floor since then, and I've only just got it out to have a look at it. Unfortuantly I haven't got a digital camera, so I'll have to describe the damage. I was doing a harrier landing and didn't put the power on soon enough. As such the model dropped vertically in a level attitude into the ground with only a little forward speed. The UC and the plate it was screwed to was ripped out of the fuz along with the firewall and engine. And the whole side is cracked just under the wing seat too.

I know this is a flying forum not a crashing forum, but I figured the best people to ask is guys who've seen this before(!) Is it worth the effort of repairing? will it be too heavy afterwards? Shall I move on and get something else? I'd hate to waste the effort of fixing it if it'll fly like a manhole cover at the end. Cheers in advance,

Andy
Old 03-24-2003, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Andy Andy Andy, didnt you read the recent RCM&E where they rebuilt a shattered Cougar???
Have a look at the review on my site and you'll see exactly the same damage, easily fixed and strengthened with PVA and cloth bandage. i didnt notice any difference in flight and it was just as strong as before..infact... stronger.
If you take the wimps way out Weston can sort you a Fuz, they dont cost much
Old 03-24-2003, 07:09 PM

Hi Philly,

Yea I know what a muppet! What month RCM&E was that article in? I only get it sporadically and I'm not sure if I have it. Saw your fix, looks like you did a nice job. I think I will give it a go - I've got some ply and carbon cloth, all I need is some balsa and some covering. Never repaired anything like this before but I guess you don't learn til you try. Will try to borrow a digy camera and take some pics too.

Andy
Old 03-24-2003, 09:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

you know, im not sure, couldn't even swear that its RCM&E, but it was only a month or two ago, the bouns is the mag is now in the reduced price section in your local shop
This guy did a real number on it and it came out fine. i just made a new ply floor, slided in some balsa fills, covered in White ( i liked the different from the rest look ) and bingo. I wouldn't go the carbon route just because i like things to break in a certian place. having a rock solid nose and destroying the fuz beyond that is much harder to fix again. the PVA and bandage meathod is really light and more than tough enough. very clean to do as well. a quick hand rub and your de-glued
The best bit is once you'd killed it once you dont have that same fear of denting it, and you get much bolder