Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Flying Pizza Box

Old 03-05-2002, 08:25 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Pizza Box

The Elevons are from the sides of the box. The are already hinged for me. The carboard is perforated, but I slit through one side any way for less binding. Everthing is just stuck on there with goop.

This one is 14 x 14 (not including the elevons) meaning 196 sq. in of "wing" I'm hoping it will weigh about 12 oz, with 17 oz of inflight thrust I'll be hovering this sucker.

Uproar, wattage, and some other people have little elevon mixers that plug into your reciever, so if your radio can't do it, this is the way to go. They are like $10, and even if this project doesn't work out, you will have it for future projects.

Of course you could spend just a few extra dollars and get yourself a brand new Futaba 8UAF

--Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4818_3114.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	3554  
Old 03-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

Hey RC_Eflyer,

Bring that baby down here when you come this weekend ! The only thing stopping me is I am on a diet and I can't order a pizza ! LOL

You guys are killing me ! I was up half the night thinking about fuelproofing. Clear iron on covering maybe ? Paint on clear coat ? How about... not worry about it ? Boxes are cheap. Just take the guts out and slap them in a new box every month or so !

I wish there were truly more hours in a day. I just got the official nod for my M.A.N. article. I'll need some help with the CAD stuff while your here I suppose.

I can just see it now ! A pizza box funfly ! Full contact pizza box combat !

Foamguy
Old 03-05-2002, 10:20 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

Foamguy, You could use some Nelson Gloss clear on it no problem.

The CAD stuff will be no problem, all I need are the basic dimensions with a basic structure, nothing too fancy, then I can create the plans on AutoCAD.

I'll bring it down. I'll be at the Field on Friday evening for a fly and fry unless the weather is totally crappy. Email me your phone # and I'll give you a call on Friday during the day.

--Paul
Old 03-05-2002, 10:24 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

When you live on a College campus, pizza boxes aren't very hard to come by. My version could probably be built in an hour start to finish. (Plus waiting for all the Goop to dry)

--Paul
Old 03-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Default Toppings for a Flying Pizza Box?

Originally posted by miderror
I'd like to try this but can you tell me what kind of toppings
should I order?
How about:
Propelleroni, Canard Bacon, Mufflerooms, Italian Sauservos, Green Peppellers, and smothered in Mozzservoella cheese.

(sorry.....couldn't resist....)
Old 03-06-2002, 03:21 AM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

Dave,

Did you score a Pizza Hut box yet ?

RC_Eflyer and I are serious about trying this.
I know him and he's bringing his out to the field this weekend for some fun. I'm going to slap one together tomorrow night. I'll post some pics. I figured out a GREAT way to do this and make it work. Unfortunately, I live a long ways from a Pizza Hut so I'll have to settle for a Main Street Pizza box which isnt nearly as pretty. ( Their pizza isn't nearly as good either)

Foamguy
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default Re: Toppings for a Flying Pizza Box?

Originally posted by Dave McDonald

How about:
Propelleroni, Canard Bacon, Mufflerooms, Italian Sauservos, Green Peppellers, and smothered in Mozzservoella cheese.

(sorry.....couldn't resist....)
Dave.. your too much..
Old 03-06-2002, 04:22 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Default Still craving pizza

Foamguy,
Had leftovers tonight. Still don't have a pizza box yet. Might have to substitute some coroplast temporarily.

Question: I've got an old HB 15 sitting around. Do you think that would have enough power to fly a 2'x2' square? Or is your 40LA straining just to stay airborne?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:49 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

Dave, I'm sure you could get it flying with the .15 but the .40 would be a lot more fun.

Oh, on another update, my roommate and I just got another pizza so I now have a large box. I'm going from 14 x 14 to 16 x 16.

--Paul
Old 03-07-2002, 01:13 AM
irishcarbomb
My Feedback: (4)

Default Flying Pizza Box

to balance one of these, would you still use the idea of ~33% of the MAC?
Old 03-07-2002, 01:44 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

Foamguy told me that you use 19% of the Chord. Hey Foamguy is that correct?

--Paul
Old 03-07-2002, 02:44 AM
Foamguy

Default Re: Still craving pizza

Originally posted by Dave McDonald
Foamguy,
Had leftovers tonight. Still don't have a pizza box yet. Might have to substitute some coroplast temporarily.

Question: I've got an old HB 15 sitting around. Do you think that would have enough power to fly a 2'x2' square? Or is your 40LA straining just to stay airborne?
Dave, Coro will work just fine, but it's a lot heavier than cardboard. That's gonna affect your CG as most of the "box" is behind the CG. Your gonna have to get your weight down to about 1 1/2 lbs to make this work with a .15. I predict a flying weight of 2 lbs with cardboard and 3 lbs with coro, assuming a 25"x25" "wing" is used.

My test model weighs 3 lbs and the .40 LA is PLENTY for it....So, my next one, the cardboard variation will have a Norvel .25 for power. I think that will be plenty too.

Might be able to get the .15 to work with micro servos ?

Also, today I flew the test model again. I think it's pretty nose heavy. I balanced it at 17% of chord. I'm gonna make the next one about 13 or 14%. I think that would help a lot. Right now it takes an awful lot of up elevon to keep that nose up... then when you power up it climbs of course. Sorta have to use the throttle and elevator in conjunction with each other for best results at this point. I'm using 3" elevons by the way and they seem like plenty.

Foamguy

PS, I was a hovering fool today. You have NEVER seen a Harrier pass like this will do. You can fly it everywhere with the nose at a 75 degree up angle and its just rock steady. Reduce power and drag the tail down the runway. Pull the nose up even further, add a touch of throttle, and your in hover mode. Decrease throttle and your LANDING in hover mode. It rocks ! Something this cool ought to be illegal ! hahahaha!
Old 03-07-2002, 02:53 AM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

Originally posted by uproar_15
to balance one of these, would you still use the idea of ~33% of the MAC?
Uproar,

Make the CG about 13 or 14% MAC. Mine's at 17% now and its noseheavy. Make sure you can adjust either way by shifting battery pack as your results may likely vary. 14% will get you pretty close though.

Flying wings... er.... boxes... are pretty CG sensitive compared to " normal " planes, so make small changes, test fly, etc. Don't make huge jumps. I did that once on my first wing ( made from a realtor sign BTW) and that sucker took off, looped over my head and nearly shot me in the back.

Keep us posted on your progress. I think this is too cool !

Foamguy
Old 03-07-2002, 09:37 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Default Flying Pizza Box

Hi, Guys

Don't mean to but in, but I've used Polyurethane thined down with mineral spirits I'm not sure but 6 to 1 sound about right.
The cardboard is crisp and cut easy after it dries.
It's been a long time since I built a cardboard plane!

Don
Old 03-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

DonH21,

Feel free to butt in anytime you like ! It's suggestions like yours that make ideas like this work and become practical. I've built many coroplast airplanes, but never a cardboard one, so fuel proofing is definitely on my list of concerns.

On another note for everyone following this thread, here is where I am at. I have the original test model which is 25"x25" and made of coro. It flies well. My next one was going to be a bona fide pizza box, but I got my hands on one and measured it and it's only 16"x16", much to my surprise. This would still work ok, but I think it would be better suited to micro servos ( HS-81's) and powered with something between a Norvel .074 and a .15. I am probably going to try this soon, but I am totally maxed out on projects and time right now.

As the pizza boxes were too small, I went to Office Depot and looked at cardboard boxes. They make a nice big one that you can easily get two 24"x24" planes out of. Yeah, it doesnt say Pizza Hut on it, but its more the size I wanted. I can write Pizza Hut on it with a Magic Marker if anyone accuses me of being a cheater. LOL I should have this plane up and running by Tuesday I think.

Foamguy
Old 03-07-2002, 10:11 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

Tuesday, you mean I have to wait until Tuesday to see your pizza box flyer. Oh wait, that means I can see it on Wednesday. Cool. Mine is only 14 x 14, so we'll see. I can't wait.

--Paul
Old 03-08-2002, 01:43 AM
irishcarbomb

Default Flying Pizza Box

I can't work on mine until next weekend becaue my "workshop" is at my dads house...but i will be using a 16x16 "Big New Yorker Box" from work, with a TT gp .42 and standard servos...i might try something other than elevons for control...i will try and post a AutoCAD drawing of my idea so you all can tell me if its a good idea or not...
Old 03-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

Uproar_15,

I don't know if you have read all of the previous posts from the last couple days.... but I found out pizza boxes are 16"x16" like you say. That's much smaller and hence much lighter than I had anticipated. I thought they were more like 24"x24".

You can certainly use a 16" box... with standard servos even.... but that GP .42 is gonna be WAY overkill. Even a .25 would be too much IMHO. I suggest a .15 if you have one... or else use some other form of cardboard to build a larger " plane"

That's what I'm doing now. I found a nice size box at Office Depot that will make 2 24"x24" planes. Yeah, it doesnt say Pizza Hut on it, but its a step in the right direction. I'll work on realism after I get performance I want.

I'll probably build a genuine Pizza Hut box plane soon too.... but now that I know theyre only 16"x16" I'll be using small servos and probably a Norvel .074 for power. That's roughly equivalent to a .10 in any other brand.

Foamguy
Old 03-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Craig-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

Originally posted by Foamguy

Make the CG about 13 or 14% MAC. Mine's at 17% now and its noseheavy. Make sure you can adjust either way by shifting battery pack as your results may likely vary. 14% will get you pretty close though.

Flying wings... er.... boxes... are pretty CG sensitive compared to " normal " planes, so make small changes, test fly, etc. Don't make huge jumps. I did that once on my first wing ( made from a realtor sign BTW) and that sucker took off, looped over my head and nearly shot me in the back.

Foamguy
Foamguy,

Am I having a brain-fart here? You are suggesting a 14% MAC ballance point. But 14% is a more forward ballance point than 17%, but you say that 17% is too far forward. What am I missing?

I have a Balsacraft Rapier flying wing that I fly at about 23% MAC. Bruce Tharpe also recommends a 23%MAC C.G. for the flying wings that he designed. I would suggest 23% if you find 17% too nose heavy.

I designed my own flying wing a while back and, not knowing anything about where to ballance it, I used the 33% convention used for "conventional" designs. Big mistake. It was way tail heavy. After some experimenting, I found that 25% was the neutral stability point for flying wings. Of course, all of the wings I am talking about were not flat plate airfoil designs. I don't know what effect airfoil will have on the proper C.G. location so ease up on the 25% C.G. slowly.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:37 AM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

Originally posted by Craig

Foamguy,

Am I having a brain-fart here? You are suggesting a 14% MAC ballance point. But 14% is a more forward ballance point than 17%, but you say that 17% is too far forward. What am I missing?

I have a Balsacraft Rapier flying wing that I fly at about 23% MAC. Bruce Tharpe also recommends a 23%MAC C.G. for the flying wings that he designed. I would suggest 23% if you find 17% too nose heavy.

I designed my own flying wing a while back and, not knowing anything about where to ballance it, I used the 33% convention used for "conventional" designs. Big mistake. It was way tail heavy. After some experimenting, I found that 25% was the neutral stability point for flying wings. Of course, all of the wings I am talking about were not flat plate airfoil designs. I don't know what effect airfoil will have on the proper C.G. location so ease up on the 25% C.G. slowly.
I was flying with RC_Eflyer today and we had this same discussion. 17% is where I started with this plane. It is definitely noseheavy there. I'm going to move it to about 14% next. This should make it a little more tailheavy, which is what I want. In an earlier post I recall mentioning that I was going to move it to 19% next. I was thinking in reverse, thats not how it ought to be.

I have found that different wing shapes and airfoils use vastly different CG's. Virtually every one of them I have built was different. My own deltas balance at 19% MAC for example. My " Grim's Sickle " combat planes balance at about 17% MAC. I've tried moving the CG to over 20% on both and found it wanting.

Also, the pizza box plane is a little longer than wide. It flies a lot like a delta, but it does indeed seem to balance a little differently. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, I suspect there is much going on there with planform that I do not fully comprehend, but so far, so good !

Foamguy
Old 03-11-2002, 03:28 AM
irishcarbomb

Default Flying Pizza Box

foamguy,
i'm thinking about using the full box now, so it would be about 16x40. not sure yet.
--------------------------

what do you all think about this as a means of control?
2-outboard ailerons, 1 inboard elevator.....

if its a little blank box with an x in it, click it anyway, it still works...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5478_1067.gif
Views:	7
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	3555  
Old 03-11-2002, 03:50 AM
Foamguy

Default Flying Pizza Box

I think your idea would work ok. I know you don't have elevon mixing on your radio. A guy I know once built a Sickle ( elevon type plane)except he did it like your talking about. Worked out just fine.

Keep us posted. I should have my newest try finished tomorrow.

Foamguy
Old 03-11-2002, 03:55 AM
irishcarbomb

Default Flying Pizza Box

will be working on mine this coming weekend finally i can't wait to try it...i would buy the elevon mixer, but another project is tying up the funds....
Old 03-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Unstable

Default Flying Pizza Box

I was sitting in one of the local pizza places with a friend and mentioned about this project and how I would like to try and build and fly one myself.

the best thing I can think about this is showing up to the field and when someone askes you what you have to fly you say
"pizza box"

well now my friend thinks im crazy (oh wait he already thought that) but now I definetly have to try this.

but as im VERY new to RC aircraft (havent flow my plane yet and am just getting the hang of hovering my chopper) I may need a bit of time to learn how to fly it.... although i dont think crashes would really hurt much " oh no... now I have to order another pizza" )

BTW the pizza place that I'm talking about has 24" boxes (the famous romanos 24" pizza) maybe I can snag one and try to build a 24" one when I get brave enough (and get the parts... I will have the servos but I need the engine)
Old 03-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Balsageek

Default Pics?

What happened to the pictures of the flying boxes? Do we have a flight report?!? I was hoping to see some craziness!

Matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.