Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

New here......looking for large profile plane

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

New here......looking for large profile plane

Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here......looking for large profile plane

Hey guys. This is my first post in this "profile" forum and I'm not sure if this is the place or not,but I think it is. This summer I seen a guy visit our field with a larger yak profile(I think thats what its called anyway) plane. It had regular looking wings and tail,but had a flat fuse probably 1/2 - 1" thick with an O.S. 1.60 mounted to it. It had probably about a 70" wingspan. He did the best 3d I've even seen with it.

So,I've been thinking about where I could get a larger(72" or bigger) plane like that thats 3d capable. It would be really cool if I could put one on my converted gas engines on one,but I'm thinking that would be difficult because thier not rail mounted engines. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction or give me some other info that might come in handy about these profile(if thats what I saw) planes? Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: New here......looking for large profile plane

omp has a few planes check their site out
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

You need a site that does profiles............but RCU won't allow the name to be used..............so try this

....... If you like" Profile"
and you have a "Brotherhood"
and access to a ".Com"..................it's where you need to look!!!

Everything you want to know about profiles, and the coolest guys in the RC world, including the top designers in the business hang out here!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Jester241

I did see the OMP site....nice planes and thats exactly what I'm looking for,but was alittle surprised at how expensive they where. Same prise pretty much as regular plane of close to equal size. Even more in some cases.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Jester241

He did the best 3d I've even seen with it.

Duh....it's a profile!

I did see the OMP site....nice planes and thats exactly what I'm looking for,but was alittle surprised at how expensive they where. Same prise pretty much as regular plane of close to equal size. Even more in some cases.
You can learn how to 3D with cheaper planes; however, nothing flies like a profile. A regular plane won't fly like a profile. Also, you can buy a kit and build one or you can even scratch build one. There's a couple of scratch built ones around here. Another thing is, if you're worried about price, learning to 3D isn't gonna be fun to you. Get some foamies!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
mmattockx

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be the same price. The flying surfaces are all the same and there isn't a lot that is different in terms of the fuse pieces. Just a few formers are different, really.

Mark
Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

You can get profile kits pretty cheap. The mojo 65 or the 80" omp models would be around the size your asking for. If you want to learn 3d and are the least bit concerned about cost I would start with smaller sized profiles (40 or 60 size) to learn on. If you HAVE to have a gasser on it go straight to the 50cc OMP hybrid.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Hey jester, I agree that the OMP profiles are a tad Pricey, a couple guys down at my Field have them and say they are nice but not worth the 250.00+ that you pay for them... (Just there opinions) I have not flown one.

This is a decent 63 inch yak 54 profile from ebay... I have one of these and its a pretty good flying profile ARF... Its has a 2 inch shorter wingspan, but it has more wing area than the OMP Yak. It does not have a tank or landing gear, and mine came with no control hardware. but it does come with everything else needed to build. you can find landing gear Its light and strong with the carbon fiber Rod down the Middle. I had a Super Tigre .75 on the front of mine and it had unlimited 3d with it, but not ballistic. This plane could easily handle a .90-120 size glow 2 stroke engine for added power. I've doinked mine in several times and it bounces back for more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RADIO-CONTROL-AR...3A1%7C294%3A50

gear, or you can get some from OMP, or just make your own..
http://shop.maverickhobbys.com/produ...3&productId=69
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Jester241

The reason I want something big enough for a gas engine is because I'm really into the gas engine "conversion" part of our hobby and have alot of these engine sitting on the shelf looking for a home,and I'm trying to get rid of some glow planes and engines......not add some by buying a smaller profile ya know? I do practice(although VERY cautiously) some mild 3 stuff with my other planes,but dont get too crazy because I generally have TONS of time and money into my 3D type planes and dont want to smash them after all the work thats into them. Thats why I'm looking for something go practice with that I dont have to put alot of time into so I wont be so afraid to crash it,but dont want to spend a ton of money on it either. Its more about the time building it then the money,and I'm thinking a profile ARF would be a super quick build even compared to a regular arf. Am I right about that,or do they take similarly as long to build? I've built a few kits too,and just dont want to get into that these days again yet. Wanna keep looking for alittle cheaper profile then the almost $375 for that 80" edge arf from omp,but it is nice plane. Was hopin they'd be around $200 for something +70". If anyone has any nice used ones for sale or trade,give me a pm!

Might have to consider going smaller and using a glow motor,or trying to cram a gasser into like a 65"....think that even possibe? After looking at the omp site,they plane I saw at our field this summer was indeed that 65" yak aft from omp,but is out of stock and doesnt have a price. He had an o.s. 1.60 in it,and it flew it like it was nothing obviously. Just dont know if I could cram a 4lb engine in it. Yeah,finding a used one would be cool to experiment with,lol.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

I'm looking for something go practice with that I dont have to put alot of time into so I wont be so afraid to crash it,but dont want to spend a ton of money on it either. Its more about the time building it then the money,and I'm thinking a profile ARF would be a super quick build even compared to a regular arf.
The reasons you've given are EXACTLY why a profile is the best choice to learn 3D with.

But starting off with a large profile to learn 3D isn't the best way to go. The large profile is going to be much more expensive to get flying, and isn't going to be as durable as a smaller profile. I've got an OMP 80" Edge profile that I enjoy flying, but I'm not willing to take chances doing stupid stuff like I do with my 40 size profiles because the larger profile wouldn't survive the dorks that a smaller profile can routinely withstand over and over again.

I would highly recommend that you shift your focus to a 40 size profile to get started. It will be much cheaper to get flying, and will be much more likely to survive mistakes while learning basic 3D flying. The smaller profiles are capable of survivng an extreme amount of abuse that would totally destroy a large profile. Once you become proficient with the 40 size profile, then get a large gas powered profile.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 AM
Jester241

Yeah Dave,I'm kinda leaning that way even though I hate to add another glow engine plane. I'd like to go all gas soon so I dont have to carry fuel and accessories for glow and gas to the field everyday.....but thats the way it goes I guess. We'll see. And I must thank you guys for your patient and info......I know I'm sounding like one of those who doesnt want to listen....but I actually am. My hanger is just getting full and I need to be a bit picky these days so it all stays compatable,lol.

Yeah,good luck huh?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
T3beatz

You know they make 20cc gas engines that can fit on some of these smaller profile ARFs.. RCGF or Aerovate is one of them. Just modify the plane to hold the engine and there you go. Some of these smaller gas engines are just a Few ounces heavier than the glow engines of the same size. Although they may not put out as much power, for the savings in fuel it would be worth it!

http://www.zrcgf.com/store/Details.c...=26&category=0

T.J.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

A few (and its usualy more then just a few) ounces heaver AND less power will = one P.O.S 3d slab, esp if your using it to learn on. Stick with the glow on a 40 size it will be cheap and fly great and be durable enough to let u dork it around while you learn. Those little gassers have there uses but this just isnt really one of them.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
T3beatz

Have you ever had one or tried it before deathbunny_sg? And I'm not talking about putting these on 40 size profiles... I'm talkin more along the lines of the 90-120 range...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Dave McDonald

The Aerovate 20cc is a 1.20 size engine.
It weighs 38 ounces, including muffler and ignition. (Not sure if the ignition battery weight is included.)
It produces 2.2 hp.

The OS 120 AX is also a 1.20 size engine.
It weighs 30 ounces, including muffler.
It produces 3.1 hp.

Since a 3D plane depends heavily on being lightweight and having high power for good performance, the Aerovate is a poor choice for two reasons......the high weight, and the low power output.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

The Aerovate 20cc is a 1.20 size engine.
It weighs 38 ounces, including muffler and ignition. (Not sure if the ignition battery weight is included.)
It produces 2.2 hp.

The OS 120 AX is also a 1.20 size engine.
It weighs 30 ounces, including muffler.
It produces 3.1 hp.

Since a 3D plane depends heavily on being lightweight and having high power for good performance, the Aerovate is a poor choice for two reasons......the high weight, and the low power output.
Very well put Dave
If you must use a gas engine then look at the OMP Edge Hybrid. The 80" OMP edge with an OS160 or The 40 size OMP Edge or MOJO are all excellent choices with an OS55AX or similar
The main thing you want for 3D is lightweight and lots of power. There is lots of choices inbetween also, but anything under 50CC stay with glow.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: rcplanenut

anything under 50CC stay with glow.
Until gasoline engine technology progresses far beyond what it is today, that pretty much sums up your engine choices for a 3D plane.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

If you want to learn 3d with a profile designed for exactly that then look at the 47" Edge V3 ARF. Extremely durable and stable for learning 3D. Has been real popular for 7 years now.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47edgearf/index.htm

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
T3beatz

that 47 edge is just as much as a mojo... expensive!! Don't get me wrong I know they fly great, but I had a lanier profile a year ago that was wonderful!! I paid 75.00 for it and it flew just as great as a mojo or a Chin yak! For some things its all in the pilot..

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

Not sure which lainer kit your talking about, but my first profile was a Lanier ProCub. It was a great airplane but not really made for 3D. As for cost you say the Lanier was $75, the OMP Edge is $89. I think the extra $14 is well worth the money if you are looking for a 3D airplane. Now, if your comparing the cost of a Lanier kit vs an OMP ARF well thats just stupid.I first started learning 3D on a H9 Ultrastick, it can be done but much better if you have a airplane designed for 3D.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Dave McDonald

Not all profiles are created equal.
Some fly well.......some fly like crap.
Some are durable......some are fragile.
Some make it easy to learn basic 3D maneuvers........some make it difficult to learn the 3D basics.

If you're looking for an ARF profile, the OMP Edge V3 ARF would be hard to beat. It flys well, and makes a good 3D trainer. It's not the most durable profile out there, but it's still pretty tough.

If you're willing to build a kit, the Mojo 40 would be the best choice.....period. It flys well, makes a great 3D trainer, and is extremely durable.

In skilled hands, almost any profile can put on a impressive 3D show. But only a handful of profiles fly well enough to easily learn the 3D basics, and are durable enough to let you get over the fear of making a mistake.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
T3beatz

Its the lanier 330 Arf at 75.00 shipped, and the OMP edge ARF at 189.00+ 15.00 shipping, And no matter how good the plane specs are if you are new to 3D and just learning every plane might fly horrible.
I'd say get something cheap that flys good and move up to something better once you are proficient at it. I bought a Cheap China 40 sized katan from the LHS last year ($69.00 kinda like the TMPro Katana) and it Was a great 3D plane. It took anything I threw at it! lost it when I started doing combat with it. IMHO, I think $205.00 shipped, is way to much for a 40 sized profile Arf, there are many others out there that may fly just as good are better.

T.J.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Jester241

You guys certainly are helping me alot. I like them all,and now really dont care what size I get. Seems to be tough decisions regardless of what size I get [:@]. I like the prices of the kits,but man I dont feel like building another kit right now [:@]. But I also cant see paying$200+ dollars for even a small 47" arf [:@]. Plus I dont have an engine to fit in that small of a plane. I got a GMS 1.20 2-stoke,but I think that would be a tad big for that 47". Thinking about that 65" yak kit even though I dont want to build it,but my 1.20 would probly fly it good. I'll keep doing my homework and see.....hopefully come across a good deal.....maybe on ebay. I've got some time as I've got a big run of engine stands to get ready for market thats keeping me VERY busy at this time and another dirt bike to also save for. I'm alos not tooooo concerned about them being too fragile. I'm a pretty good builder/fixer when I need to be,lol.

Oh,and what kind of servos do you need in these profiles for thier size?

Thanks guys
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

as Ron White says, "Can't fix stupid!"

Sure, you can learn to drive in a Chevette, but you'd much rather have a sports car....you can learn with the Lanier plane, which is equal to a Chevette, but deep down, you'd love to have a Corvette...which would be a Mojo, Primo, OMP Edge, Sabre, Chinn Yakk....just to name a few.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Jester241

Hey! I love chevetts,but HATE Corvettes! [:'(]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.