Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

How about some event ideas for a Fun Fly event?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

How about some event ideas for a Fun Fly event?

Old 03-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about some event ideas for a Fun Fly event?

We're having a Fun-Fly at my club this weekend and I'd like some ideas for new events to mix it up some. We usually do the Limbo, egg drop, Tijuana Taxi, aerobatics in 60 seconds, climb and glide, spot landings, touch and gos in 60 seconds, and baloon pop. Any other ideas?

Jet
Old 03-21-2002, 10:19 PM
hauckf

This may be the TJ Taxi you refer to, but this was a real laugher at one of our FF's. Set up an obstacle course on the runway using baloons (for safety). Have the contestants pair up. The object is taxi the plane through the course in the least amount of time. Break a baloon and you incur a time penalty. The catch is that the pilot stands with his back to the course , and his partner directs him through the obstacles (turn right, speed up, turn left, etc.). Laughed myself silly watching this event at our FF!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Frankenthumb

The TJ taxi we do has contestants manuver around cones as many times as possible in 60 seconds, but we get to watch our planes. I like your way better!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Hots_Flyer

Ever play Poker? Make 5 different spots for a touch & go. You'll need five piles of cards. Number of decks of cards will be dependent on number of pilots. Have your pilot do a T&G and get a card from the pile for that spot closest to the T&G. Five T&Gs. Best hand wins.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

1 - If you don't have partners, you could try the balloon course hauckf suggests, but having the pilot look at his plane in a mirror held by the judge. We used a large mirror like you would have on the back of your bathroom or bedroom door.

2 - Slow flight, set up two points on the runway, see how slow you can fly between these points. Have a person at each point, the first starts a stopwatch when plane passes him, then stops it when the other signals him the plane has past his point.

3 - Takeoff, do three loops, three rolls, three more loops and land. You are timed from takeoff to touchdown. If you have partners, do a relay, second plane takes off when first touches down. Time from first takeoff to last touchdown.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Frankenthumb

I like #3. We also do a variation of #2, which doesn't penalize the guys with smaller planes. Have a flag guy at each end of the runway, each pilot makes a high speed pass downwind, and a low speed pass upwind. The biggest difference between times is the winner. The flag guys are there to signal when the plane has crossed the "start/finish" line. No climbing or diving allowed, only level flight both ways.

Jet
Old 03-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Hots_Flyer

Here's another one. Good for your low time pilots. Take off and fly. That's all.

Now the kicker. The pilot has to fly between 45 seconds and 3 minutes 45 seconds. It's the pilots decision as to how long. Wheels rolling to wheels stopped.

You'll need some slips of paper with different times on them.

After everyone flys, have everyone draw a time slip from a hat. The closest actual flight time to the time they draw is the winner.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:38 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Tie paper crape (sp?) between two fuel jugs and try to cut it inverted. The prop cutting it doesnt count, it has to be the vertcal fin.....Tis fun!!!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:56 AM
Frankenthumb

Ooooh, that IS a good one! Esp. for the guys with more balls than sense, like me.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:16 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

I got it from a friend. Makes for a good laugh when people land inverted. TIS FUN!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:58 AM
Airwurthy

Default Futaba 8 channel team event

Brother and I had fun playing with this trying to come up with a special event for the 1999 funfly nationals. Take a futaba 8channel transmitter with trainer cord and buddy box(any airplane will do the trick) One team(2 pilots, buddies work best) have to fly a single event. Just pick any event that is marginally fun even by yourself. (The Carlisle Can-Can is perfect for this) With the 8 channel you can pick which functions the "trainer box" has control of. Make one guy fly elevator and rudder and the other guy ailerons and throttle. You pick which one is the master and which is the slave(trainer box) Or come up with any combination of controls that you see most challenging AND FUN. My brother and I could not stop laughing anyway trying to cooperate.
The blindfold flight is fun too, also done on the buddy box for safety. Scary for one guy. kinda stressful for the other.....still fun.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:31 PM
tipstall-RCU

We tend to play games during fun flys. The picture shows a kids bowling ball attached to the tail of a plane with kite string. The pins are set up and it's bowling time. 3 passes to get as many pins as possible. The ball dosn't effect the plane as much as you would think. The fun part is watching people watch the ball instead of the plane.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6459_4412.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	4668  
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How about some event ideas for a Fun Fly event?

Wouldn't it be better to attach the ball to the gear?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Spacey

Ahh this is an interesting thread! Keep posting events guys? PLeeeaasseee? We are looking at getting our club members more involved and getting the group knit tighter. The events we do in our national fun fly competition is well in a few words not very much fun, just sheer competition.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:58 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This VERY cool event is called CAJONES OF STEEL!!!! You set up a small table on the flight station..........the pilot has 2 minutes to climb out, and get his bird trimmed out................at the 2 minute mark, the pilot HAS to place his transmitter ON THE TABLE!!!
The winner is the pilot with the longest flight time.

We do this event at our funfly, and it is definately the hit of the show. All skill levels can participate, and any bird can win!!!!Try it. YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!

EQUIPTMENT NEEDED
Table
Stopwatch
Paper
Pencil
Pilots with Cajones Of Steel!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Spacey

That is one of our events in the national competition. Lotsa people lose planes in this one, either from flying out of range or hitting the sticks too late as it approaches the ground. But most of the time folks just fly out of range. Or they run out of fuel on their way back to the runway and don't make it back to it. But for this event to really be fun you need to be able to put a elevator to throttle mix in on the switch so some skill can come into play. Also extends flight times if you can get the plane into a nice consecutive loop without it snapping out.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:53 AM
RC MANIAC119

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: Spacey

Lotsa people lose planes in this one, either from flying out of range or hitting the sticks too late as it approaches the ground. But most of the time folks just fly out of range.

OUt of Range??? What does this mean? Are you guys in Africa flying pre 1991 Radio systems?[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 03-11-2005, 07:21 PM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Somebody gave me this site when I ask this Same Question [link=http://rcreport.ws/funfly.htm]Fun Fly list[/link]

One of my favorites is the jelly bean spit! You need a 5 gallon bucket and jelly beans.

Time starts.... Pilot starts plane and takes off......Pilot grabs jelly beans and has to spit the jelly beans into the bucket while flying. Having the bucket 4 to 5 feet away is far enough after 3 jelly beans have hit the target the pilot lands when wheels stop rolling time stops shortest time wins.
Victor
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: Lyle D

OUt of Range??? What does this mean? Are you guys in Africa flying pre 1991 Radio systems?[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Oh yeah my system I got is great. Got in a really nice kit. Took me about 4 days to build the servos and the transmitter set. They really make em good these days. I just wish they would stop making us carry these 12V car batteries around to power the darn things.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
BRUTUS122

Great Ideas!