Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Whats A Good Starter Profile Plane

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Whats A Good Starter Profile Plane

Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
worldmodelsmach1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats A Good Starter Profile Plane

Hi all, im chris and im getin into profile flying and 3D and i was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what would be a great first profile plane. I have an O.S. 46LA, a Magnum 46XLS, and a Royal 45 which I'd be willing to put in my new plane, also im looking at the O.S line of four strokes to see what i can afford. Im considering the TMPro Extra 260, from my eye this looks like an @55 kickin ARF.

~Chris L. Of California

PS feel free to E-mail me- [email protected]

Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Whats A Good Starter Profile Plane

If you go 4-stroke, go Saito 72 or 82 for a 40 size. Two stroke is fine, best choice is OS55AX.

[link=http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47proyakarf/index.htm]OMP[/link] makes a good line of ARFS and when available the [link=http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo/mojo.aspx]Swany's house ARF's[/link] can't be beat.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
KWJ48

I agree with ^^^^^
Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

I agree with ^^^^^

Ditto, stick with the proven models out there and you won't go wrong.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Thanks Guys ill keep that in mind
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Johnny Mojo

If you do a search on the plane you mentioned, you will find little information on it. There is a reason for this.

Get in touch with Swany to see if he has any ARF's. If not, I would recommend that you seriously consider giving building a try.

The kits go together very easily, even for a first time builder. It doesn't have to be a beauty queen, because you're gonna trash it anyway. Just a personal preference, but I don't like the OS 4 strokes. The OS55 is great on 40 sized birds and the Saito 4 bangers are much nicer than the OS IMO. If you go the kit route, you might have enough left-over to pick up a 55 or Webra 50.

Let everyone know what you decide.

J.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Thanks guys, i've decided to stick to tm pro because they're the cheapest, and i know ill be bashing this plane up alot so i need the cheapest i can find. thanks for all your great advice on engines, it came in handy when i chose my webra 50, only reason i chose this engine was for reliability and .50 size performance in a .46 size bunddle. When i get my ARF together ill send you guys pics. of me flying.

Happy Flying

- Chris L.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:45 PM
bajajrider

great decision on the engine!

but, poor one on the plane.

first dork and its all over dude.

might as well buy a mojo kit and build it while the tm-thingy is still going.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:53 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Ill still think about it
Old 02-15-2009, 01:18 PM
HiSpeedLoPass

I just completed a Primo 40 from Swanys House. Went together real good. Not my first build though, but a first timer should have no problem.
The manuals pictures were not very good with my kit, but if you have access to the web, Paul has all the same pics online that are excellent.
If you should run into any problems/questions, I am sure Paul or one of the guys on this forum, or THE PROFILE BROTHERHOOD forum, would be glad to help you out.
If this is your first profile you might want to consider the Mojo 40, also at Swanys House. My buddy built that one and he had the same results that I had with the Primo.
Good Luck
Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Thanks, but i've decided not to go profile, My dad is the one who got me into it, so we were looking for the cheapest ARF we can get, and i found the Phenix models Funstar 40 and I'm going to stick with that, and use my webra 50
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Ive got a OMP Edge 540 and this thing is indestructible. I stalled it from about 10 feet after running out of gas in a high alpha and only stripped the rudder servo with no other damage. Two weeks ago I lost elevator control and the plane was in about a 75 degree dive, so I kept the plane as level as possible. When it hit the ground it bent the right landing gear, knocked the elevator loose from the fuselage, broke off the left wing panel and the engine busted loose, and the rudder servo stripped again. Everthing was able to be glued back together and I bent the landing gear back to straight and replaced the rudder servo again. This thing is like the energizer bunny.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 PM
KC8QPU

The TMPRO extra 260 is not a very good quality arf. Check out some of my posts on it. I included pictures of the plane. I have since flown the plane all last summer. I must say I had to add 2.5 oz of lead to balance the plane. And this was after I moved the engine as far forward as I could. I am using a thunder tiger 46. My first impressions of the plane weren't real great. I did a lot of extra fixing to the fuse and wings just to feel comfortable to fly it. I did fly it in a team fun fly which included limbo constest, humpty bump, ribbon cut and spot landing. This plane excelled in the limbo and humpty bump as once it reached its speed the plane locked right in for low alltitude fly byes. Again I would not recommend buy this arf. I was also looking at the OMP edge 540. I should have bought that.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

Ive got a OMP Edge 540 and this thing is indestructible. I stalled it from about 10 feet after running out of gas in a high alpha and only stripped the rudder servo with no other damage. Two weeks ago I lost elevator control and the plane was in about a 75 degree dive, so I kept the plane as level as possible. When it hit the ground it bent the right landing gear, knocked the elevator loose from the fuselage, broke off the left wing panel and the engine busted loose, and the rudder servo stripped again. Everthing was able to be glued back together and I bent the landing gear back to straight and replaced the rudder servo again. This thing is like the energizer bunny.

Thanks for the report Beachbrada. Sounds like you are working that OMP Edge pretty hard.