Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

I Love It !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Love It !!!

^^^ That's me above! I just got back from the field. I maidened my Morris Knife this afternoon, and the plane is a blast! The plane has the Saito 72 for power, and after only 4 tankfulls the thing is an absolute rocket in the verticals. That little engine starts so easily, and sounds so nice and quiet. You prime it one time with your finger over the muffler, flip it three times, turn on the igniter and back flip it and it bust right off on the first flip everytime. I put three flights on it today, so it has a grand total of 7 tanks through it now. I was hovering it on my second flight and couldn't belive how easy it was. I'm not that good at it yet, but I can tell it hovers nicely. I found the sweet spot many times, but kept torkrolling it and losing it. I did waterfalls with it, blenders, all kinds of wild tumbles and gyrations, and did a bunch of hovering (not very good, but learning). I can't believe I was able to do all this stuff the first day out with the plane. This is a GREAT airplane! I had a blast with it. I think I need some help with the setup, but I don't know exactly what to ask. I think it needs a few things to help me out keeping it put in a hover, but I can't figure out what it is...it's like I'm having to chase it, and it just wags and wallows around until you get behind it and then it just falls out and you have to power out. I tried higher rates, and that helped some. The rudder on this plane is veeeerrrrry effective. It suprised me. The control authority this thing has is amazing. If there is anyone out there who could give me a few pointers on setting up the radio a little better I sure could use the help. I'm used to flying large scale aerobatic airplanes, and this is totally new to me. It sure is a hoot though...like the subject says, I LOVE IT!
Old 06-20-2003, 01:26 AM
YNOT

Default I Love It !!!

About dam time, where you been Aero....
Old 06-20-2003, 02:06 AM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

Default I Love It !!!

u'll like that knife. johns flies great.
Chris
Old 06-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Aero330LX

Default I Love It !!!

Hey YNOT & Chris,
Building and flying! Then there is that 4 letter word... WORK! LOL
The plane is flying great, just gotta figure it out some. I was suprised it tumbles and waterfalls so good. The CG is right at the stock location. The thing goes into a blender like a 40% Extra...it's funny. The motor is a screamer. It's turning 10,5 now on a 13x6. It will go a little higher, but it's new so I'm staying off of it some. Gonna take it out again Sunday and fly it after the Flying Seminar that Gerry is putting on. BTW Chris, come on out to WSRC Sunday. We are gonna have a flying seminar and manuever critiqueing and cook out, and we would like to get as many people as possible. Gerry and Brad Neel are putting it on. Nothing like learning from the perspective of Masters pilots. Those guys are good!
Old 06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
AJT

Default I Love It !!!

aero330lx
I just ordered a knife (arf) and need to order a motor. After reading your thread I'am considering the SATO 72. The other choices are a YS 63, OS 50 or a WEBRA 50. I've owned many YS engines and really like them. Never owned a SATO. But here many good things about the 72. owned a WEBRA years ago and remember it as being a good motor! I guess I just can't make up my mind on which one I should order. I have a $300 budget for a choice.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Aero330LX

Default I Love It !!!

Hi AJT,
I have 4 YS's myself, and they are really good engines. I have also heard really good things about the 63, it is a great engine, and I have seen one personally at the flying field. I really like my Saito. They say it's not quite as powerful, but dang, I can't imagine having anymore power than this little 72 is putting out. The thing idles nice, and has excellent throttle response. It also doesn't seem to be affected by changes in attitude which suprised me some. Most non-pumped or non-pressurized engines I have messed with always lean out some when you hold the plane vertical. My Saito 72 doesn't do that. I really like the 4 strokes for this type of airplane. I think the bigger prop really helps as far as thrust, and getting better airflow over the controls. I also like the sound on the 4 strokes...it's not as nerve racking when you're trying to hover. I also like quiet airplanes in general. I think it's better for our flying fields, and I seem to concentrate better on the airplane with a quiet plane. Just more relaxing. I think all the engines you listed are very good engines, and you won't go wrong with any of them, but this little Saito 72 has to be the best bang for the buck. I have heard of guys running 30% nitro in these 72's...I can't imagine what that would be like. I fly large scale aerobats also, so I know what power is! hahaha This Saito will launch this Knife. Power is not an issue...not at all! I did put in an OS Type F Plug, and I'm running it on 15% Powermaster. I followed the directions to the letter on the breakin. ***4000*** rpms on the first tank, and then started leaning it gradually over the next 4 tanks. I actually let the engine run through two tanks at 4000 to be sure the engines parts had worn together sufficiently before leaning on it. I could tell they had by the color of the oil coming out the crankase vent. On the first run it was coming out blackish like when metal is being polished (which it was hehe). On the second tank toward the end the oil was oming out almost clear with a hint of the red color the fuel has. It takes a few tanks through it to get it where it will idle down good. I had to go in on the bottom alot...darn near two complete turns. Don't mess with the bottom on the engine until you have run at least one full tank through it though at 4000. This engine *MUST* be broke in by the book. It the ring doesn't seat properly because it wasn't broke in right, it will ruin it. I can say this, it does everything everybody has told me about it...exactly as they said. I have seen some issues here on RCU with them, but I believe most are caused by plugs that have gone out due to leaning on them too much or not having the engine tuned right. The engine is a good one it really is. I can't say a whole lot about the others becasue I don't own those, but those engines you have listed are good ones too. I just thought I'd share how mine acted, and what I did in case you decided to go with the Saito.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:04 PM
AJT

Default I Love It !!!

THANK YOU!

SATIO it is !!!! I'll order one tomorrow from horizon I guess?? I think I'll get the black one with the gold trim. If you know of a better hobby shop to mail order from let me know. Thanks again! We all need a little help now and again. (lol)

AJT
Old 06-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Aero330LX

Default I Love It !!!

Hi AJT,
I got mine from Don's Hobby Shop in Salina KS. I get alot of stuff from him. He usually has stuff a little cheaper than Horizon. The black one is called a GK...Stands for Golden Knight. The GK version is the same engine as the the one with chrome valve covers, but it has a velocity stack, and gold valve covers. You may wanna put up a new thread to see where the best prices are on them right now.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Jerkey

Default YS 63

I own two Saito 72's and one YS 63. I wish all three were YS 63's. Hands down the YS 63 out performs the Saito 72. I could not believe the power and transition of the YS. Good Luck.

Mike
Old 06-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default I Love It !!!

Aero330LX,

Great flight report. Thanks for the great info. I have a knife kit almost framed up. I've been having a blast with my Sudokhoi for a year. I love days like that!

Jeff A
Old 06-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Hacker

Default I Love It !!!

Jeff, if i haven't told you yet...you are going to love your knife !
Old 06-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default I Love It !!!

Thanks! I'm going to put my servos on the hatches this time like yours and use pull pull.