Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Mousse Cans Revisited

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Mousse Cans Revisited

Old 06-20-2003, 01:38 AM
Skypig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mousse Cans Revisited

I noticed a lot of mousse can posts here in the past, so thought this would be the place to get some good info.
I built a Kraut style MCP for a TT39 heli engine (in a heli) and notice that it runs hotter than the stock muff. I can touch the back of the motor with no problem after running with the stock muff, but with the mousse can it runs much hotter. Can even hear sizzling in the MCP after shut down. Is this normal with a MCP or even a pipe due to the higher rpm.
The engine is new and being run quite rich for break in. I love the sound of the MCP. It's so quiet that the blade noise is louder than the engine, and the power is awsome.
I want to get this perfected and use these exclusively, even if I get razzed by other heli pilots. It'll be their loss.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:47 PM
fadmuker

Default mousse can do

hi guy`s,
at the moment I am building a mousse can muffler for my
(wait for it!!!!)
MOKI 135
the can is 12" x 3" i have a 25mm pipe with a bend in it,
and I have turned a manifold to suit the exhoust port from a aluminum billit, on my lathe,
the whole thing is guess work, as I posted a thread for this but got no reply`s?
I have, in my search for new raw materials, found a metal putty called ROCOL METAL COMPOUND that I will use to weld the parts together, what do you think of that?
ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY
Old 06-21-2003, 03:08 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a chance that the mousse can muffler is making your engine run a little leaner than stock so you may need to adjust the mixture to the normal temps.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Skypig

Fadmuker,

I've not heard of the product you mentioned. I've read of people using JB weld, but have not tried it myself. I worry about it cracking as it is an epoxy and gets brittle. I ve used high temp silicon to hold muff stuff and it works quite well. If your header is one piece from the engine out to the mousse can I think the silicon would work, but if your header is two piece (manifold is going to be "glued" to the pipe) you may have problems so close to the hot vibrating engine. Good luck
Old 06-21-2003, 03:15 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I found that my engines ran hotter with MCM.... I went back with standard exhaust for most everything now.... Easier on the engine... lasts longer...
Old 06-22-2003, 01:35 PM
fadmuker

Default BO SELECTA

hi guy`s,

Q/1 what size mousse can in mlls

Q/2 whats inside your mcm

Q/3 have you got a favorite pair of flying underpants

( if not select a pair ! and wear them, and them only ! your flying will improve! try it)
p.s. washing them do`s not affect there performance!!
Old 06-29-2003, 07:01 PM
fadmuker

Default skypig

well, just got back from the flying field,
moki 135 ripped the 3DD upwards @ 1/3 throttle first flight and she is a ***** cat, but theres a tiger waiting to let rip.

M.C.M worked but the rocal metal compound cracked and fuel attacked it so there`s a drawing bourd with my name on it,
pitty cos it looked great all polished up like a weston throttle pipe
problem is, bolly seams to be the only pipe that could get the moki 135 down to 79 dB!! cost £105. all my other engine`s have the os super quite silencer on, some are running at 76dB

O well, if at first you dont succeed! erase all evidence you tried in the first place

its fun to fly funfly
Old 06-29-2003, 08:31 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: skypig

Originally posted by fadmuker

O well, if at first you dont succeed! erase all evidence you tried in the first place
I like that, words to live by!
Old 07-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Skypig

Default fadmuker

Sorry it did'nt work out. Mine did not work out too well either. It rubbed against the fuel tank and almost melted a hole in it. I did manage to get the engine to run quite a bit cooler by enlarging the exit hole and all the airways inside the pipe. I think that the exit hole is the key. I enlarged it by probably 50% in total area (which is not a much bigger diameter hole) and it really cooled the engine down but made a definite difference in the sound (read louder). Still nice but louder. I ended putting a Mavrick muffler on it ($29.00), and it sounds nice and has good performance.
I will play with the moussecan again in the future but will wait until I have a plane for a Magnum 46 and use that as a test bed.
Good luck on your Moki. Is there a header available for it. Then you could simply make a basic mousse can pipe and experiment from there. Just don't cut the header pipe. Keep it stock and vary the other components that are cheap and easily obtainable.

Later

Take offs and flying are easy, it's the landings that will kill you.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:46 AM
fadmuker

Default very expensive paperweight

skypig,
yes you can get a header, @ £20
exit pipe on mcm was 10mm o/d ally pipe

I made a header of sorts with some 90* bent ally pipe, i turned a manifold and a stop end for this and connected to both ends,

I then drilled 70 x 2mm holes in the pipe at back end,
then drilled and threaded a m3 bolt at the end of this pipe, and then i polished and fitted a 400ml MOUSSE CAN on to the pipe/ header,
I then fitted a stinger in the bottom of the mousse can,
held in place with a screw, this run the full length of the mousse can, the engine to pipe manifold was turned on my lathe, I turned the flange to take the pipe in by 15 mm, and bolted three bolts for good measure and fitted the pressure nipple on this part as well,
i then sealed all the joints with rocal metal compound,
I swear, this thing looked the dogs bollocks,
results were
the compound cracked and was dissolved by the glow fuel,
noise tests were 88 dB at 7 mtrs, our limit is 79 dB
i had two flights, before noise tests to make sure it was running ok and she took off on just over half throttle, sounded great, but vibration, resonance, took its toll! O WELL
YOU LIVE AND LEARN.

ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY