Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
What servos in a Morris the Knife? >

What servos in a Morris the Knife?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What servos in a Morris the Knife?

Old 06-30-2003, 12:52 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos in a Morris the Knife?

I am setting up my first profile, the topcap, with Hitec 475HB servos all around. They have 60-70 ounces of torque and the new karbonite gears I THINK. Anyways, for the money, there wonderful. They cost 17.95 at (www.servocity.com)
Old 06-30-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
One of the 3D master Pro Bros flew my Sledge in Houston. He had been on the sticks for about 5 seconds and the first words he said was, "Hey, you have some good servos in this thing". So he could tell, he noticed it right off. I never mentioned the servos (or anything else about it) before I handed him the TX.
Was the Pro Bros name Gary? If you can fly like the Pro Bro I saw this last weekend I guarantee you would know the difference between standard and digital or coreless.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:13 AM
My Feedback: (46)

Ive got JR 3421 mini digitals in mine (84.00) each and they are worth every penny when it comes to hovering
Old 07-01-2003, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default 811's

I can say without a doubt that Stomper's knife with the 811's is the way to go. He let me put up a couple of flights and WOW, the servos makes a big difference in these profiles. His plane spins like a pattern plane and stops on a dime. Very precise and fast response. All of my profiles will be converted over very soon. You have to try it.... BAD ANDY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	90650_11358.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	51903  
Old 07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Yeah, I have been eyeballing the 811 too, but still have to many other servos around.
I have had also good results so far with the Hitec 225MG's on mySudokhoi. Nice small and strong (50+ oz) servo. Saves some weight too.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:04 PM

Ahhh.... I personally know that the Digital servos are a tremendous step up from the standard analog servos. They are so incredibly accurate and precise its scary. I noticed when doing aileron rolls that the plane was very accurate, you let off the sticks and the plane stops rolling EXACTLY WHEN YOU LET GO...

its great, but for these 40 sized fun fly profile planes I dont really see the necessity of having them, unless you do precision IMAC contest with it lol... practice and flying will beat the heck out of a good ol digital servo.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 AM

I have my 3421's not because they are digital per se, mostly because they are fast and light. you can practice all you like and it will help but the speed of the servos help the ameture as well as the pro keep the plane in a hover much longer guaranteed
Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Originally posted by Constrictor
I have my 3421's not because they are digital per se, mostly because they are fast and light. you can practice all you like and it will help but the speed of the servos help the ameture as well as the pro keep the plane in a hover much longer guaranteed
I can attest to the above statement. Man, those servos work soooo nice on the Knife. I been hovering 4-5 minutes at a time with no problem and I only have 10 flights on the plane now. Been practicing alot for IMAC meets, but when it starts getting a little dark, I take the Knife up and have a blast. It really does make a difference in hovering. When you move those sticks it goes exactly where you put it...right now! I could probably hover more than 4 or 5 minutes now, but it gets boring after awhile and I like doing other things. I did a tailwheel touch and go with the thing and was laughing so hard I had to climb up there and throttle back...thougt I was gonna put it in while I was laughing! LOL I've got about 60% flaperon to elevator now, and it'll tumble like crazy. That plane is a lot of fun...good for a bunch of laughs. I'm getting alot more brave every flight with it...we'll see about bringing it a little lower in the hovers after I have some more time on it. I'm still making a few minor bobbles that wouldn't be real good if it was low. For anybody looking for servos for this plane, you won't go wrong with those 3421's...they are perfect!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 AM

I can hover my friends OMP Edge 540 with Hitec standards just as well as my h9 edge with hitec 5945 coreless digitals..

without practice, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference
Old 07-03-2003, 10:40 AM

Well you SHOULD be able to hover your profile plane easier with standard servos that your hangar 9 edge in the first place. but try hovering your profile with and without good servos and i garantee youll be able to hover your profile longer with good servos. once it starts getting sideways on you the fast servos can still get it back where standards cannot
Old 08-06-2003, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

How about the new Hitec 5475 digitals? At $35 they are much more appealing than an $80 JR. Plenty of torque and on the lighter side of what a standard weighs. I've found only good remarks about them on other boards, but nothing around here. Anyone try these yet?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:36 PM

Like Fred said above, I've flown his Knife. I had no idea it had digital servos on the tail or coreless on the ailerons. I NEVER would have known, except for him telling me.

I had no idea when I flew it...When slamming the sticks around and hovering, your don't need that "precision" and "accuracy". The airplane flies great with them and would fly just as well without them!

I've got a 700 mah 4.8 volt nimh battery and the cheapest standard servos Airtronics sells in my Sledge...I can hover it for as long as I want. I can do ANY manuever just as well as an airplane with digitals can do.

Shortman, an airplane stopping instanlty after letting off the controls involves A LOT more than digital servos!! Why wouldn't that same airplane stop it's rotation as quick with a standard servo?

I'd say I've got some practice and I do not notice a difference. Keep in mind guys, I'm not talking about BIG airplanes, just these little guys.

once it starts getting sideways on you the fast servos can still get it back where standards cannot
Are you serious? That doesn't even make sense. Your reaction time is too slow to prevent it from "getting sideways on you", but yet when you figure it out that 1/10 of a second is going to keep it from falling out? That's hard for me to believe.

I guess I'm not convinced yet!