Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Servo location and linkage geometry...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Servo location and linkage geometry...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo location and linkage geometry...

I'm wanting to put a couple small servos in the tail of my Pizazz. I was looking at it yestersay, and the only reasonable way to do it is with one servo forward of the other, insted of mirror image of eachother. What I was wondering is, with having one servo forward of the other, each driving an elevator half, will the geometry of the ilnkages be different, aside form one pushrod being longer than the other? As long as they are both at the same level i.e. centered on the thrust line, and both arms are pointing the same direction, will there be any difference in throw at the elevator?

If I picture it in my minds eye correctly, the only difference being that one servo is ahead of the other, no difference in pushrod angle, there will be no problem. Am I thinking along the correct line?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 03-30-2002, 01:28 AM
Hots_Flyer
My Feedback: (2)

If you use Hitec 225s, you can reverse one servo. That way you can have the same linkage on both side the same.

To reverse a Hitec 225, you pull the bottom cover off the servo. unsoldert he motor wires and solder them to the other side. Do the same with the pot wires. Easy to do.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:42 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default servos

Jon, on my Nolimit 3D it uses 2 elevator servos one in front of the other with different length push rods. With my 8103 I'm mixing using 2 channels, and had no trouble matching throws. Depending on the desired results I can even split them one up one down mixed with aileron. With them split I'm limited to 100% throws on the transmitter. If I want more throw I have to change the mix to increase the throw beyond 100%. Both set ups are fun. Tom
Old 03-30-2002, 02:12 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

why would you want to use two elevator servo's on the Pizazz? The single elevator servo works really good with the supplied "Y" rod....?

If I had to change anything, I'd do a pull pull on the rudder and elevator.... Maybe use a 4x40 rod to connect the two halves...
Old 03-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Default Why 2 servos...?

I'm doing it 'cause I dont like the amount of flex in the "Y" pushrod. I'm also doing Pull-Pull on the rudder. For the elevator servos I'm using Cirrus CS-90 BB Fast servos, and with the 2 servos sitting on top of the stab (when they are mounted, one will be under the stab and the other just forward of it), no tank in the compartment and no landing gear mounted, the balance point on my calibrated fingertips is about 1/2" behind the recommended aft CG. So, add a tank, spinner and loose a standard size servo mounted in the wing, and 2 dowel pushrods with acompanying wire, and the balance comes real close and I dont have to worry about a flexy pushrod. That and I just wanted to give it a try

Jon
Old 03-31-2002, 01:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JON: Let us know how it works, it sounds good. Good Luck Captin John