Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 60servo and flap?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Ultra Stick 60servo and flap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
kksiu2002
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 60servo and flap?

Howdy,

The big brown van left a Hanger9 Ultra Stick 60 at my door. Now I got to figure out what servo to use and whether "quad flaps" is worth the hassle and expense.

The box recommends "high torque digital servos." Does one really need that fancy servos for an inexpensive funfly plane. I plan to do some funfly competition for fun. Nothing too extreme. But it might get crazy sometimes. I have a set of 5 standard Futaba servos. Would that be sufficient?

Is the "quad flap" useful in funfly? I've seen planes with quad flaps, but the owners seems to never use them. I also don't have a fancy computer radio, so if I go with "quad flap", I'd have to spend big bucks on a new radio.

By the way, I will attach a mildly mannered, but light weight, 26cc engine to the front. The plan is to swing a 16x8 prop at 7200 RPM max. The tail servos will go in the tail, and anything possible moved as far back as possible for balance. I will also reinforce the firewall just in case.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Ultra Stick 60servo and flap?

That motor is going to be too heavy for it to fly at funfly speeds with the 60 size stick.
The high end of weight for that plane's motor is 24oz.
The lightest 26cc gas I've seen is about 30oz plus muffler and ignition.
I would not mess with flaps on this bird.

The [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/han2350-manual.pdf]manual[/link] for the 60 size says 5 standard servos (JR 537).
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs is right..........you don't want, or need a heavy gasser, OR mess with the quad flaps! Fun fly stuff is typically flown as slow as possible. That Stik is a very fast bird, but with some effort, you can learn to slow it down......plus with that big gasser on the front slowing it down will be a real chore..... gravity will work against you............

Good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto on what Thumbskull and RCMANIAC said about the gasser in a 60 size Ultra Stick.

Unless you have a radio that can truly take advantage of the quad flaps, don't bother installing them.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm using standard torque servos in mine and it is enough. I didn't do the quad flaps because the regular flaps can roll the plane plenty fast enough, but I did do crow, flaps, and flap to elevator mixing. If you will at least set up the standard flaps you can land vertically in virtually any wind.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
jamese1

What radio and receiver are you using Jester? I have an ultra stick 40 and want to use the crow feature but I'm not quite sure how to set it up.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
josh6575

In the back of the ultra stick manual it tells how to set up a few different jr radios.