Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

can too far aft CG be bad?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

can too far aft CG be bad?

Old 04-05-2002, 06:08 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can too far aft CG be bad?

Like to know, been playing with the CG on my topcap to see what itll do, anyone know the optimum CG for this plane? WG?
Old 04-05-2002, 06:39 AM
shmo46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

I am at 5 1/2 inches back. It might help with hovers, etc. , but it seems to make landing a little tricky. I am going back to 5 1/4 for a while.

shmo
Old 04-05-2002, 06:42 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed that with mine too, Im at max aft cg, how about with flat spins and such?
Old 04-05-2002, 07:28 AM
shmo46

Sorry, couldn't get mine to flat spin yet. First flights were last sunday and I did not have enough elevator throw for flat spins.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:18 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

John,

I'll have to see where mine is balanced. I can tell you that when the fuel burns down a little and I go to land I have to push forward to get it on the ground. At neutral elevator the tail sits pretty low.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:13 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

My SuDoKhoi, which very simular to the Top Cap started out with it's CG at 5 3/4", 1/2" farther back that the recomended most aggressive point! Man was it a hand full!! I couldn't believe how pitch sensitive it was... Really porpoised allot when trying to slow down for a landing....

I moved the CG up to 5 1/4" and what a huge difference!! Really tamed the landings down and made it a much more stable plane... Still had a great flat spin.... Inverted and regular. Hovers great still, almost better because it's more stable....

Extreamly Tail heavy is a baaaaad thing... I almost lost this plane on it's maiden voyage because it was too tail heavy.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:22 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Rear cg is fun, Tail heavy sucks! My su-do-khoi is a little tricky to land when fuel gets real low. In my experience a aft cg will help in flat spins and such!