RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   VOTE! Should we separate fun flying planes and profile planes into 2 forums or not? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/1017288-vote-should-we-separate-fun-flying-planes-profile-planes-into-2-forums-not.html)

mvigod 08-02-2003 09:20 PM

VOTE! Should we separate fun flying planes and profile planes into 2 forums or not?

OK...everyones chance to make RCU into what they want. This forum has grown and become very active. The question of the day is do we separate the Fun Flying Planes & Profile Planes into 2 forums or keep them together? Vote now and it is up to you guys what we do.

jsonin 08-02-2003 09:55 PM

VOTE! Should we separate fun flying planes and profile planes into 2 forums or not?

There are too many connections between the two subjects. Most of the posts pollinate both fun flying planes and profiles. Content scanning will take longer if there are two similar subject strands.

I'd keep the two together.

Yours,
Juhan

ChuckAuger 08-02-2003 10:19 PM

I disagree with Juhan.

I think that the Competition Fun Fly plane is so much different, with such a drastically different purpose than a profile, that they deserve their own forum.

I know the Competition guys get frustrated coming to a forum and having to read 500 posts about profiles to find one about Competition Fun Flying...so much so that they have all but quit posting here.

Perhaps if they had their own forum, they would post more and we could ALL learn more about the that aspect of the hobby.

I don't think the profile flyer would notice much difference, but I think the Competition guys would rejoice not having to read about portly profiles.

My $.02

mvigod 08-02-2003 10:22 PM

Chuck,

don't most of the fun fly guys just post in the 3D forum here? seems all the ucando, flip, magic, etc. topics end up in there. Or are these planes different from "fun flying"? Just asking...I just fly everything and don't know where the lines are drawn :)

ChuckAuger 08-02-2003 10:50 PM

No, the U-Can-Do, Flip, et al are even farther from the Competition Fun Fly plane than a profile. Some of the Comp planes are a very stripped down, highly modified profile like the Menace or Minus..

Go to NCFFA

Along the top of the page, go > Supplies> Suppliers

to see what their planes look like. Browse the site..you can watch videos, read the newsletters...You will quickly find out just how absolutely different they are.

I'm sure they have as much use for a U-Can-Do as I do a WWI scale plane.

Constrictor 08-02-2003 11:02 PM

These are quite differnt airplanes i vote seperate forumns

JIVE TURKEY 08-02-2003 11:15 PM

agree with Chuck, profiles sorta evolved from ff's, but aren't specifically designed to compete, but to have fun. That's were the confusion set's in, because profiles are MORE about having fun-flying, and fun-fly's are more about competing.

I wish our hobby had a competition surrounding around profiles, that was all about aerobatics, 3D combined with precision (somewhat). Sorta freestyle/routine/3D/whatever. Maybe the profile brotherhood is onto exactly that with the t.o.p. (tournament of profiles).

Not that I'd like to compete, I think it would spawn a cool following, where Jeff Williams (or someone else) would be the Quique Somenzini of profiles! But.....it would also spawn routines, developed just for funflyin (there's that confused word again). That sport funflyers could TRY to follow.

Just thought of something........................MAYBE YOU SHOULD KEEP THIS FORUM UNTOUCHED AND START ONE CALLED '' COMPETITION FUN-FLYING''

777M8 08-02-2003 11:26 PM

I agree with Chuck.... separate

B Bill

ChuckAuger 08-02-2003 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Comp planes didn't evolve from profiles..they started out as wing and boom planes like the old Stickits. Then after a while guys started adding a stick "profile" to the boom to enhance the airplanes.

This is what a Comp fun fly looks like.

YNOT 08-02-2003 11:59 PM

My Turn.

I also believe the forums should be separated. One being "competition fun fly's" and Two being "Profile's".

Just as the aerobatic forum has been separated into 3D, Pattern and IMAC.

It you really want to be specific the 3D section could be split into 3D planes and SA (Scale Aerobatic).

rwh 08-03-2003 01:21 AM

Well now, let me go off topic for a second, and propose a different change.

Like many RCU frequent flyers I use the "show new posts since last visit" or "show new posts in last 24 hours" buttons so I can review what people are talking about.

I would appreciate a way to restrict those searchs to airplane topics only. Many posts about cars are peppered into the search results and cannot be identified by their thread topic alone.

I imagine the car guys might want the same thing for their forums.

Comments?

Ed_Moorman 08-03-2003 01:32 AM

Fun Fly Forum

I think you need an additional forum for the competition planes.

However, the fun fly planes like the U-Can-Do's and Funtanas are really the same as the TopCaps and Extremes-3D planes.

I always thought the 3D Forum was in the maneuver area while the Fun Fly and Profile forum was for the hardware.

Maybe you need to mix them all up and separate them in a different way. I would suggest a Competition Forum with sub forums for pattern, IMAC and comp fun fly. Both maneuvers and planes. Then have a Fun Fly Forum with sub forums for 3D/fun fly planes and for maneuvers. You could break out profiles, but I see no difference in the function of the plane.

BotleRocketWar 08-03-2003 03:38 AM

I like Ed's idea!!

I don't like the fact that every couple of days there is a post in the "FunFy" forum about a Fourstar 40 or some sport plane...Profiles should be with 3D. IMAC should be with Competition FunFly.

How do I vote for that? :)

ChuckAuger 08-03-2003 04:20 AM

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
I like Ed's idea!!

I don't like the fact that every couple of days there is a post in the "FunFy" forum about a Fourstar 40 or some sport plane...Profiles should be with 3D. IMAC should be with Competition FunFly.

How do I vote for that? :)

With all due respect for the opinions of others, have you actually LOOKED at the NCFFA site I linked to above?

If you have, can you see ANY connection between Competition Fun FLy and IMAC?? IMAC doing loop touch-n-goes at 1/second?? LOL

I suppose there is a connection between all forms of radio control model flying, but as a flyer who has been around both NCFFA and IMAC, I can see about as much in common as pedal cars and F1 Gran Prix racing.

I suppose making forums "maneuver" oriented and "plan type" oriented might seem like a great idea to some. Not me.

Like it or not, Profiles are one niche, IMAC is another, Competition Fun Fly is another. I suppose 3D could be applied to any or all of these, but if you actually READ the 3D forum, I think you will find it is dominated by the U-Can-Do/Flip/Hype/Capiche type plane...

Go read it..See any Menace threads?? See any Minus threads?? See any Lil Rippy threads?? See any Sledge threads?? See any Knife threads?? See any OMP Edge 540 threads?? See any Taco threads??

No. Maybe the odd one, but certainly not the majority.

Now READ the Funfly/Profile forum.

See any Flip 3D threads?? See any U-Can-Do threads?? See any IMAC threads?? See more than 2 out of a hundred Comp Fun Fly threads?? No, it is almost totally dominated by Profiles.

There have been a number of posts in the Profile/Funfly forum by disgruntled Comp Fun Fly flyers who cannot understand why Profile guys are so dead set on flying such inferior in every way aircraft. They cannot understand why a PROFILE could even be lumped into the same catagory as a Fun Fly plane.

Clearly there is a need for these modelers to have a forum of their own. As much as I strongly feel that profiles are the closest thing to Comp Fun Fly planes as exists, the fact that the Comp guys seem to hold Profiles in utter contempt indicates that they feel that there is little if no cross over between the disciplines.

Now to those of you that feel that Comp Fun Fly should be lumped in with IMAC, I just have to laugh. Oh sure..THAT will go over just dandy! LOL

Good luck in your attempts to group radically different camps into the same forum. I've seen the animosity and tried to make sense of it all.

BotleRocketWar 08-03-2003 04:34 AM

I didn't mean comp FunFly and IMAC should be "together", but seperate categories under a general category of competition or organized flying... Something like that.

I don't see why 3D and IMAC are together, that's makes as much sense as the competition FunFly's and IMAC...

How about a 3D Flying category with profiles and whatever you call the UCD's and Flips as sub-forums? Just 3D airplanes?

I don't know what the heck I'm talking about...Good thing I don't have to worry about it!! :rolleyes:

Shortman 08-03-2003 06:22 AM

I think that the forums here are getting almost too specific in that they are starting to only pertain to an exact section of r/c modeling... reasoning that people end up going to 5 forums to look for the same thing when if we could have left them be they would have had much better results..

why fix something that isnt broke?

JIVE TURKEY 08-03-2003 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Shortman
I think that the forums here are getting almost too specific in that they are starting to only pertain to an exact section of r/c modeling...

That's EXACTLY why I love rcu, you can go to a SPECIFIC interest, and get all kinds of info without siffting through a bunch of stuff your not interested in. RCU is why I let my magazine subscription (mailed) run out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIVE TURKEY 08-03-2003 10:08 AM

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
Comp planes didn't evolve from profiles..they started out as wing and boom planes like the old Stickits. Then after a while guys started adding a stick "profile" to the boom to enhance the airplanes.

This is what a Comp fun fly looks like.

I said "profile planes evolved from comp. ff planes"

I might be wrong, Chuck, but I remember seeing wing and boom planes in magazines, long before I ever saw a profile advertised, asuming that sport fliers liked the way they flew, and modified them to be capable of KE and "resemble" a plane.

But, maybe my memory is all wacked out like Soupy Sales.

Come to think of it, maybe the hot's came first, followed be the profile hot's, and where the not-for-sale came in, I don't know?

If I'm not mistaken, the designer of the hot's created it to compete in comp. FF's, but than again, I can't remember to wipe sometimes! :eek:

iflyj3 08-03-2003 10:10 AM

Originally posted by rwh

Like many RCU frequent flyers I use the "show new posts since last visit" or "show new posts in last 24 hours" buttons so I can review what people are talking about.

I would appreciate a way to restrict those searchs to airplane topics only. Many posts about cars are peppered into the search results and cannot be identified by their thread topic alone.

Comments?

I vote a big YES on this idea..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

DonH21 08-03-2003 02:10 PM

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
No, the U-Can-Do, Flip, et al are even farther from the Competition Fun Fly plane than a profile. Some of the Comp planes are a very stripped down, highly modified profile like the Menace or Minus..

I'm sure they have as much use for a U-Can-Do as I do a WWI scale plane.

Right On, Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They (Competition Fun Fly) do deserve their own forum! I'm sure they get frustrated with Profile FunFlyers way of thinking and they think we're nuts! :D

Don

mvigod 08-03-2003 02:41 PM

Originally posted by rwh

Comments?

The "New RCU" has this very feature! This has been requested numersous times and just another great thing about the new site when it comes online is this very feature. In addition you will be able to search and restrict to your chosen forums AND have only the forums you chose display on your own CUSTOM homepage! While a few have knocked the new site much for what it isn't, it bears to look at what it actually IS and why it will smoke even what RCU is today.

Maudib 08-03-2003 03:02 PM

I thought that's what "Get new in subscribed forums only" was... 3rd option after the 2 you mentioned...

I went and setup my subscribed lists to just the ones I'm interested in...

The I click on the "Get new in subscribed forums only" and see just what I want...

Originally posted by rwh

Comments?

tailspnr 08-03-2003 09:34 PM

I think that some are confusing Funfly's with the UCD's and Flip types. I dont personally own any profiles at this very moment but I consider the type of flying that I do to align more with the typical Profile Brother or Profile Flyer. I own Flip type planes and really enjoy having these catagories together. Now as far as having an actual "Competition Fun Fly" forum seperate for that type of plane, I would agree.

I think the small problem that we have here is that some refer to the Flip and UCD types as fun-fly's. So the bigger question is how do we catagorize the Flip and UCD types of planes so as to include them with the Profiles. I think that by the results of the polls so far the majority want these 2 groups to remain together. And I would bet that these people are the ones looking at the Flip types more as a fun-fly as oppossed to the actual competition type fun-fly's. I dont mean to disagree with you Chuck, I just dont want to seek out a different forum to get the info that currently provides me the most valuable info.

In a nutshell, lump the profiles and Flip types together and create a seperate forum for the competition fun-fly's.

My $.16 worth.

ChuckAuger 08-03-2003 09:48 PM

Nah, TailSpnr..I think you are actually agreeing with me...

I think the Flip-type planes are very similar to profiles in flying ability. Having them together wouldn't be too much of a stretch. The Comp Fun Fly planes are the ones I think are on a different level altogether.

I think you are spot on with your perception that Flips/U-Can's/Profiles are being called Fun Fly planes and confusing the issue.

To me a profile is, well a Profile..Morris-type plane.

A Flip is an Artistic Aerobatic plane.

A Fun Fly plane is a Stickit or Menace type plane.

Lumping all of them together under "Fun Fly" is the main source of confusion.

I also think that the ones who are voting to keep the forum together haven't read any of the posts from at least one of the more vocal Comp Fun Fly guys...if they had of, they would see the reason I say give them their own forum.

tailspnr 08-03-2003 11:49 PM

Im glad we agree Chuck, I'll have another cold Bud now.