RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Super Wasp (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/1176674-super-wasp.html)

jkinosh 10-02-2003 02:14 PM

Super Wasp

I am getting ready to start building a Super Wasp and would Like to know if I could substitute Autobody Fiberglass Cloth for the 4oz Fiberglass cloth that needs to be sandwiched between 2 sheets of balsa.

btw, I can e-mail a copy of the cad plans that I got from the internet to anyone who needs them.

Thanks,

Jacob

jkinosh 10-02-2003 02:16 PM

RE: Super Wasp

Forgot to check teh notify box again

Jacob

Balsageek 10-02-2003 03:02 PM

I know its supposed to be quick, but the best advice I can give you is to ditch the whole balsa sandwitch idea. They tend to warp (badly), and are hard to cut correctly! Have you ever built a morris plane? (or any other Stick built profile) That's the only way to go! just trace out your rib profile, cut a block for the engine crutch, and stick build the rest! YOu can even run internal pull/pull controls that way. Look around on the sledge build pages, you'll see what I mean.

I build a wasp the old way and ended up trashing it. THe fuse was straight to begin with, but warped with time.

Matt

PaulSwany 10-02-2003 03:38 PM

I'd go one more than that.... I've built 2 wasp's and a bunch of stick profiles.... put a 1/2" carbon fiber tube down the center of that bad boy and you'll love it for ever.....

If you wanna use the fiberglass cloth... the automotive stuff will work just fine.... You might try to add something to the heigth of the fuse for less coupling...

Daryl Martel 10-02-2003 05:48 PM

I've built 2 fun fly planes using the Wasp balsa/fibreglas/balsa sandwich with no problem. I just used Hobbypoxy slow cure. Don't understand why you guys experienced warping. Mine both built straight and stayed that way - I intend to use the method again.

PaulSwany 10-02-2003 11:28 PM

I didn't have any warpage problems... It just didn't prove out to be very strong....

cameron 10-03-2003 12:33 AM

Mine hasn't warped in the 9 months I have had it, Had some major crashes with it, and the most work the fuse has ever needed was the replacement of the lower spruce spar. And the fuse glued back to the rear part of the wing many times, lol.
This is a heavy way of constructing the fuse, but it sure is strong!!!!!!!!! Not stiff but stays in one peice.

I agree with Paul Swany's comment about the fuse height and perhaps the addition of some CF. The rudder is waaaaaaaaay to small and mixes a bunch in knife edge, it rolls opposite the direction of rudder input.

I have modified my whole rudder and fin arrangement, making the whole thing symmetrical. Ie removed original rudder, added another rudder post on the bottom, and then made a new rudder that is about 180mm long, (about 7 inches)
Much more rudder authority, and no pitch or roll coupling in knife edge, The fuse is still way to small in area, so it wil only slighty climb in knife edge, taking a hell of alot of sky to complete a knife edge loop. The second half is scary!!!!!!!
You need a big servo for this rudder though.

Daryl Martel 10-03-2003 05:08 AM

Cameron - my experiences exactly! I lost my Wasp this summer due to a battery failure after close to 3 years of flying. Good hovering machine though! I'll build another with a taller fuselage, more belly and more rudder under the thrust line too. Should clean that knife edge coupling problem up.

PaulSwany 10-03-2003 11:48 AM

I've still got several sets of Wasp ribs... I'd like to do something with the fuse and a cf tube down the center... I really like that setup on my Burrito... It's super strong... Easier and faster to build, lighter and bullet proof.... My burrito went in from 30 ft up straight down on the nose and didn't break behind the wing.... (radio interfearance).

jkinosh 10-03-2003 12:05 PM

Question about lite-ply? I was out last night and saw some 1/8" birch ply, bu it was marked no aircraft. Would there be a problem with using this as a fuse doubler, since it will most likely be epoxied into place?

Thanks,

Jacob

PaulSwany 10-03-2003 01:05 PM

It'll probably be heavier....

Balsageek 10-03-2003 01:19 PM

I guess I must be wasp retarted!! I tried the balsa sandwitch twice, once it warped bad, second time not as bad, and I messed up the wing hole. I'll never do it that way again!

I wonder what ever happened to Incoll, the aussie shed, and everything. Last I'd checked the Wasplus plans weren't done. (It's been like 1.5years in the making)
The wasplus was the newest (best) version featuring a stick built fuse.

RickC2009 10-03-2003 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wasp!
I use fiberglass wall join tape the kind for sheetrock in my sandwich.
Worked out great!

I too wounder what don's up too lately!

cameron 10-04-2003 06:30 AM

I think Don Incoll has left the hobby, to quote one of his good friends (who kitted the plane) "I fear Don may have left the hobby just as he entered it, like a bull at a gate".

Not even his flying buddies have heard from him in along time, and no more plans are able to be bought from saturn hobbies.

I don't know if he just lost interest or what, but I do know he has Glaucoma, making it hard for him to fly.

I will try to get some digi photos of mine up on here, and the mods I have done to the tail.

What does/did yours weigh?

Mine has soaked up oil residue, and now weighs a hefty 5.25lb!!!!!!!!!!!!
But to be fair, it has had 110 litres of fuel through it!!!!!!!!! (about 30 gallons)

Daryl Martel 10-04-2003 03:04 PM

RE: Don Incoll Possibly Leaving Hobby

Hmmm - that would explain why no ones heard from him for some time. If that's the case, it must be very dissapointing for him. I'll miss his input - I found him a very interesting fellow indeed. Sure came up with a few inspiring designs of his own. I was very impressed with him making the Wasp so freely available - sharing a successful design like that really impressed me. He had a pretty cool website going there for awhile too! Well, I wish him the best in whatever other endeavers he reaches for....