RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Hot Dog Flyer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/1991854-hot-dog-flyer.html)

CoosBayLumber 07-14-2004 09:16 PM

Hot Dog Flyer

I just finished up reading about a part time flyer of a Piper Twin Comanche that had an unusual way of getting in to small strips during bad weather. Many of the strips he used to fly into were short and muddy during the rainy season. He said braking was of little use under such circumstances, as nothing held and many times the whole aircraft would go off the end.

His system was after touchdown to intentionally spin the aircraft 180 degrees, then use the thrust off the propellers to slow everything down. The Piper of the 1960's did not have reversing propellers.

Now I have watched a few model Hot Doggers in the air, but have yet to see someone do this type of a landing. Have you?

Wm.

ChuckAuger 07-14-2004 10:53 PM

RE: Hot Dog Flyer

180 degrees?? That's nothing!! I've seen Sloan do 720's with a half twist. :D

Daryl Martel 07-14-2004 11:05 PM

Sounds pretty dubious to me, no slam intended. I think the old saying "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots." kind of sums it up. You fly like that the odds catch up with you pretty quick. Light GA airplanes aren't 4 X 4s.

TERMAGATOR 07-14-2004 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Now I have watched a few model Hot Doggers in the air, but have yet to see someone do this type of a landing. Have you?

Wm.

Do you mean on purpose?:)

RSands 07-14-2004 11:37 PM

Seen a warbird guy do it once, but I think it was more the crosswind, bad piloting and mole hills than anything to do with skill. Think Sloan was taking lessons from him? :D

Spacey 07-15-2004 04:29 AM

Lol....suppose with it being mud and all it might be possible. But what would have someone land a piper in mud? Drug dealing or something? Hehehe...no just kidding.

capthis 07-15-2004 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I just finished up reading about a part time flyer of a Piper Twin Comanche that had an unusual way of getting in to small strips during bad weather. Many of the strips he used to fly into were short and muddy during the rainy season. He said braking was of little use under such circumstances, as nothing held and many times the whole aircraft would go off the end.

His system was after touchdown to intentionally spin the aircraft 180 degrees, then use the thrust off the propellers to slow everything down. The Piper of the 1960's did not have reversing propellers.

Wm.

Right????:eek:

lomcevek1 07-15-2004 01:02 PM

Well I am not sure about a piper as the gear on those are not the most robust set they could be.

Second of all if it's muddy enough to slide then I believe the gear would dig in, get side loaded and collapse. Short landing are easy doing that and being able to take off again is the challenge.

Now up here there are lots of places airplanes land where they probably shouldn't and since I rebuild airplanes for a living that kinda my job security.

Now here is a true story of a few hot-Dog pilots here. They take these super cubs and land them on some short gravel bars for either hunting fishing, camping whatever. They touch down on the water with the brakes on locking the wheels and then hydroplane onto the beach. Impressive to watch, but if not done right it's usually a long walk home!!!

CoosBayLumber 07-15-2004 07:22 PM

Cap.....

Was no mention as to at what speed he did the 180 turn around. Perhaps it was when the whole A/C was slowed down to less than 50 MPH. Could the Piper handle that sort of twisting?

I would think maybe if slow enough, he could have locked one gear leg brake to begin the spin. The other two would then be free to spin around.

Only thing was that it always scared the passengers.

Wm.

cropdusterdave 07-15-2004 09:07 PM

A ground loop is not something you want to happen. Half the time you will get a wing tip banged up. Also....it's damn near impossible to stop it after 180 deg. of rotation. Ask me how I know.

Gary Seeloff 07-16-2004 04:35 AM

Years ago, after an ice storm, I took an RC trainer to the field and flew off the ice. About the only way to slow down after landing was to do as you described. After touchdown, I'd hit full rudder and a little power, and the plane would pivot right around. Then a few blips on the throttle would slow it down in a hurry. I think I may have even done a few complete revolutions as it slid down the runway too...

Gary

RSands 07-16-2004 08:40 AM

This guy's amazing. Coos, did he do any other cool stuff?

BTW, Nice Avitar Gary :D Makes Chucky's look like a choir boy.

Goinstraightup 07-16-2004 11:59 AM

Like the rest of the posters, I severely doubt the landing gear could handle such abuse.

I have also done as Gary, flying off from frozen lakes. If you kick in the rudder just right, and have the right wind, you can skid down the lake at about 35 MPH sideways. That's a lot of fun to do. Another fun thing I did was fly high, then when snowmobiles zoomed by I would dive to gain speed and see if I could outrun them. (Not directly over their heads of course[&:]) I didn't have anything really fast at this time and the snowmobiles usually won. :D

danhoh 07-17-2004 02:06 AM

I'm with Lomchechevack (sp). Being in General Aviation.......... I don't believe that rettractable gears can take side loads. Even in the mud. and to be spinning on the ground like that.......... is a uncontrollable manuver.

THat quote about no OLD BOLD Pilots........ has some pretty good reasoning behind it

lomcevek1 07-17-2004 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: danhoh

THat quote about no OLD BOLD Pilots........ has some pretty good reasoning behind it

I have found tht there is a VERY fine line up between highly skilled and too bold.