RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   BEST ENGINE FOR A PROFILE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/1997071-best-engine-profile.html)

SWICK 07-16-2004 04:01 PM

BEST ENGINE FOR A PROFILE

Since there have been threads posted about kits, arf's, covering, best 3d plane etc. Ive been searching for what I would think is the best engine for my profile. I have been on OSer since I have started in this money pit until 2 OS 46's have had to be rebuilt (not even 6months old). Since then I have researched 4 strokes and all 2 strokes found an article on the Webra 50 along with some input from FUELMAN and Paul Swany. Have not mounted it yet but I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone opinions are on choosing THE BEST ENGINE FOR A PROFILE?

scole 07-16-2004 04:03 PM

RE: BEST ENGINE FOR A PROFILE

Good carborator.

Shortman 07-16-2004 04:27 PM

I have only used the Saito 72, so thats what I like. Im sure Webra 50, Irvine 53MKIII, Saito 82, YS 63, OS 50FX or whatever it is now, tuned pipe or mouse can muffler are all popular choices.

RSands 07-16-2004 05:09 PM

Reliability (can be tuned easily and doesn't quit in the air), smooth transition, the least weight given CG and power requirements, torque (spool up speed & prop sizes), durability & useful lifespan, cost to run, fuel tank location flexibility, maintenance requirements, aesthetics. Not overheating goes in there somewhere/is a combination of things. Once you get it narrowed down, it's usually a tradoff and price, convenience, curiosity, availability, popularity and company reputation become key selction factors.

Texan 07-16-2004 05:18 PM

RSands,

Ouch! My brain hurts ... well I guess I'll buy another OS.;)

TX

rcam 07-16-2004 05:36 PM

The TT .46 Pro is pretty good bang for the buck..........

rcam

scole 07-16-2004 05:55 PM

If your going to buy an OS 46, change your mind and spend less money on a TT Pro 46 and a Tower Muffler for it. It's just as powerful as the OS, but the Nickel Plating on the liner is 3X as thick, so it's not going to peel like the OS does. I have the Pro 46 and i love it.

RSands 07-16-2004 06:55 PM

Sorry bro :D OS makes good motors. Not my first pick, but there's many who do the same as you. IMHO there isn't one perfect motor for every person / plane, especially in the 40 - 50 size airframes. Wait till electrics start going more mainstream, then it'll get really fun! Go read Chucks posts here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Pict...1839008/tm.htm if ya really wanna make your head spin. :eek:

Razor-RCU 07-16-2004 06:58 PM

Irvine-53

scole 07-16-2004 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: RSands

Sorry bro :D OS makes good motors. Not my first pick, but there's many who do the same as you. IMHO there isn't one perfect motor for every person / plane, especially in the 40 - 50 size airframes. Wait till electrics start going more mainstream, then it'll get really fun! Go read Chucks posts here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Pict...1839008/tm.htm if ya really wanna make your head spin. :eek:
They're engines used to be good, now they make cheap stuff. It's you money, spend it how you like!

777M8 07-16-2004 09:41 PM

I think most of the Bro's have been doing this for awhile and can make about anything run good..With that said it is more about what looks the best to you. There are even some that use magnums.:eek: The Webra 50 is a pulling **** but I like my YS 45 to...Only use my MDS as a layout tool for the motor mount...:D

Spastic 07-16-2004 09:55 PM

They're engines used to be good, now they make cheap stuff. It's you money, spend it how you like!
your starting to sound like fuelman!!:D
i agree to the point that the ax was a step backwards, 4 bolt head and a shorter stroke... more plastic, at least the remote needle is not part of the backplate
what we need is a good ringed 50ish for ~$100, the os50 has its problems, so do the china made super t's, i havent had a webra yet
there aren't to many perfect motors, saito and ys are great but i can get 3 or 4 "good enough" motors for the price of one of those,
i drool over the saitos at my LHS every time i go[&o], they dont have any ys...

matchlessaero 07-16-2004 11:38 PM

Hmm... whats important ....?

Low and Midrange power
Fast Spoolup
Torque
Consistent and Reliable as he!!.

I have had OS 25's that fit this bill....and my Norvel .074's are that way now that I know how to make them work...

I have had a couple TT.46's- great bargain, but not consistent one to the next. I have one that is the 'perfect' motor (as described above) and I would not trade it for anything, but I have a second one that just is not as reliable... I have tuned on it and refined the setup with this one (tank placement, lines, etc), but it will never be as good as my first....

Though I could not go to Cookeville because of our wedding anniversary this weekend, the wife got me a new OS 50 SX as my anniversary gift! I just love the look of this engine. The quality is amazing as always.... just like the first OS I got 20 yrs ago (and it still runs like a top) I may be cussing it in a couple of weekends, but if the success the other Mempho Probros have had with the 50 is an indicator, I think I have a great motor in my hands....

Texan 07-16-2004 11:53 PM

The MVVS .49 may be worth a look.

illusion 07-17-2004 04:08 AM

I have had a Webra 46 in my profile for some time and it was great, heaps of stickbut have now switched over to four strokes on just about everything and I find that they pull better especially vertically,and are also more fuel efficient which translates to longer flight times.I have a Enya 53 a TT54 a OS 40 Saito 65 and a RCV 60 all run very sweet and I have had no problems with them to date.My suggestion would be give a fourstroke a try.

Spastic 07-17-2004 09:44 AM

Hmm... whats important ....?

Low and Midrange power
Fast Spoolup
Torque
Consistent and Reliable as he!!.
what you discribed is the attributes of a ringed engine
abc was designed for pylon racing, WOT all the time, and its great for that, once you cool them off, like in anything but WOT the engine wears more and the drag created causes power and transition problems...
just like everything else there are comprimizes...
cost, performance, reliability... pick 2 :D

novabill 07-17-2004 12:46 PM

I have a Webra .50, YS .63, Sato .40, MDS .68, Tower .46 and TT pro .36.

As far as two strokes go, the Webra .50 takes the cake. It has gobs of power and is the lightest .46-.50 size engine out there. It has been verry reliable and when fine tuned has great throttling. It also holds its tune well. The only time I have to re-tune it is when I out it into a different plane.

The Sato .40 is in my Taco and this combo is the ultimate. With a 12x4 Aps throttle response is instant and the power is much more useable than the TT .36. It does'nt have the top end the .36 had, but poll out is just as good. I have never had a deadstick and it idles much lower than the .36. It's lighter also:D

The YS is on my Bad Boy and the plane weighs 3.89 lb RTF. This is the most awesome combo I have flown yet. Again, the four stroke exhibits better behaviour for 3D style IMO. This engine would be my pick for the best engine .

These three are my favorites

coveredup 07-17-2004 03:24 PM

cost, performance, reliability... pick 2
nicely put..

CaMike 07-18-2004 11:56 AM

I second the vote for the Irvine 53

Bolio 07-18-2004 11:34 PM

My S.T. 51 is running great on my Burrito and allows me to do tail touching (Mexico has no AMA:D)on the runway every time I flew.
Mousse can, 12x4 APC, K&B 1L plug and 15% PowerMaster helicopter fuel all sintetic.
Hope this helps.

Stanoo 07-19-2004 10:36 PM

I have had three Webra 50s in the last year 1 awsome one kinda ehh sold it too a buddy :::snicker:::: heh It runs good but looks like the taper on the sleeve is too long and robbing a little power its still tight as all get out ofter about 2 gallons thru it the 3rd I will have to report later its still new

Fuelman 07-20-2004 09:52 AM

Thought I'd give my 2 cents

Nobody mentioned the Enya 50 SS or 50 CX. Both engines take some time to break in properly, once broken in they are friendly, reliable and will wear like iron. They may not put out as much power as the Webra's, Rossi's or MVVS's but they will keep up with the rest of the pack. The MVVS 49 is another good choice, finickey on fuel over 10% nitro, but excellent power. Irvine 53, great choice. Fox 46 or 50, both are strong engines. TT 46, ST 51, both with after market mufflers are great choices. Rossi 45 or 53, heavy but strong runners.
In the 4-stroke world, a nice light, and strong for its size is the Saito 56, for a little 4-stroke they pack a respectable punch- great if your plane is very light.

GarySS 07-20-2004 08:51 PM

What muffler or ? are you using on your Irvine.53's?

modestmagi 07-20-2004 09:25 PM

What muffler or ? are you using on your Irvine.53's?
Tower - Picked up about 350rpm vs. the stock muffler using an APC 12x4.

STEVE LENZ 07-23-2004 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Irvine 53 with can muffler (10 % Omega fuel) 13-4 APC turns 13k great spool up it is working great for me.