RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Fun 51 tail modificatons? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/1999447-fun-51-tail-modificatons.html)

KLRico 07-17-2004 04:06 PM

Fun 51 tail modificatons?

Hello,

I'm looking for an inexpensive plane just to have fun with. I'd really like to learn 3D eventually but the planes all seem out of my budget for now...

I think my prime canidate for a fun .40 sized plane is the Fun 51. I like flying the extra special on G2 and expect similar fun with the real life Fun 51...

Anyways, I dug up an old thread on the fun 51 and saw how people recomended "lengthing" the elevator and rudder by 1/2 inch. I'm still confused on exactly what is being described. From what it seems, I need to increase the chord of the tail surfaces by a 1/2 inch. Is a 1/2 inch increase on the control surface or the stabilizer parts? Maybe a 1/4 inch on each? Please advise...

Thanks in advance,
Rico

RSands 07-17-2004 04:57 PM

RE: Fun 51 tail modificatons?

Control Surface. If you move the CG back after you get it flying, it makes a world of difference. Had buddy with one a couple years ago and I flew it a lot, fun plane.

KLRico 07-17-2004 05:01 PM

Good deal, Thanks.

Flying .46 07-18-2004 12:00 AM

Also, when modifying the tail you might also want to consider counterbalances, which means rebuilding the tail plane side tips of the stab by shortening them and converting them to part of the elevator so that the elevator gets more than the trailing edge of the stab.
I hope I explained well enough, it's a bit hard to explain.
--Flying .46

KLRico 07-18-2004 03:54 AM

I sort of understand how counterbalancers work so we're seeing that eye to eye. ;) I wouln't even thought of adding them so thanks for the suggestion. Have you done it to your plane? Does it make a big difference?

I had a few more questions about some other things.

I have a cheap BB .40 (a magnum) lying around, would that suffice to power the plane until I have money to get a .46 FX or similar .46?

Also, I would like to practice some 3D types of manuvers, but I don't think this plane really is up to the job (thats ok with me). I've seen on some other threads people suggest mixing in spoilerons to help with high alpha flight. Should I have them fixed at a angle by the flap control, or set them up like a reversed flaperon setting?

Thanks for the feedback
Rico

sloanfs 07-18-2004 06:32 AM

Rico, The magnum 40 will just hover it, it doesnt give you much of a safety margin. But if thats what you have use it for now.
Do you already have the fun 51? If not check into Paul Swany's Burrito. Its only a few bucks more than the 51. and it fly's so much better. And its much more durable. Which means it will last longer. Its a great 3-d trainer
Heres some info [link=http://www.swanyshouse.com/burrito/burrito.html]http://www.swanyshouse.com/burrito/burrito.html[/link]

KLRico 07-18-2004 07:39 AM

No, I haven't bought the Fun 51 yet, so I'm definately open to suggestions on alternatives.

I've seen that the burrito is a popular plane. I'll put that on my list as well... I was putting some thought into a sledge but I think its out of my price range this time around. I'll look into the burrito some more, I hear good things but never really looked into it.

I have a helicopter and a HLG currently, and I'm looking to expand my collection. I figure if I get the typical .40 setup with a nice .46 engine and 5 good servos I'll be set up for many planes to come...

JPMacG 07-18-2004 09:39 AM

I had two Fun 51s and had a ball with them. I could hover and flat spin. I wasn't good enough to do much else. On the second I made the rudder about 50 percent larger. The stock elevator seemed plenty to me. I dorked the second one this spring and miss it. Thinking of building a third. Cant beat the price. They are great for everyday banging around.

I hear the Fun 51 is less capable than other profiles, such as the Morris profiles and the Burrito. The Burrito is only about $68 shipped. I just ordered one.

I used an old Enya 45SS with an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop. It was plenty of power. Unlimited vertical. I expect a modern (OS, TT, Magnum, etc) ball bearing 40 would be about equivalent to the Enya. Just build light.

Jon

KLRico 07-18-2004 03:08 PM

Hmmmm..... Now I can't decide! I like the way the Fun 51 looks, but it seems like I'll be giving up some flight performance for it... IMO the burrito is one ugly bird, but it seems like they traded asthetics for flight performance. The amount of fuselage area is rediculous, it's gotta make for some great KE flight.

Well, to be honest I am leaning towards the Fun 51, while not as capable it seems like it will still be plenty of fun as well as being cheaper... On the other hand I might decide I want to get more serious with the 3D and wish I had a burrito.

Oh decisions, decisions.... Go straight into the burrito and have a plane I'll never get bored with? Or save a couple bucks and still have an "O.K." performer?

Help me!

Rico

lomcevek1 07-18-2004 04:07 PM

One other factor is that once you have a Burrito you will most likely always have a burrito. The fun-51 is not as durable. I think the profile is thinner than the ones from OMP and Morris. But don't quote me on that.