RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Burrito/Mojo Landing Gear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/3023740-burrito-mojo-landing-gear.html)

depfife 05-29-2005 11:06 PM

Burrito/Mojo Landing Gear

I went with the stock landing gear on my new Burrito, and while I like the way it mounts, I would like for it to be a little taller. After breaking the CF gear on my original Burrito I put a set of Tetherite on it. When I started to mount the Tetherite I got the bright idea to bolt the gear to the engine mount. The gear was tall enough that height was not a problem.

I was all excited, thinking I had come up with a better idea, right up to the time that I tried to put the muffler back on the engine. With it bolted to the engine mount, the gear was in the way of the muffler.

Now I am wondering about Jeff Williams' new gear. It is for 40 - 90 size profiles and you trim off the top of the gear to fit smaller planes. It would be nice if the top part of the gear is long enough to bolt to the motor mount and clear the muffler on a 2 stroke engine. If I could bolt it to the motor mount, I would put a set on the new Burrito and the Mojo that I have on the building board.

If someone has a set of Jeff's gear, I need to know the length from the top of the gear to the first bend.

Eric

Razorback58 05-30-2005 10:12 AM

RE: Burrito/Mojo Landing Gear

3 1/2 inches.

depfife 06-02-2005 10:02 AM

Thanks.

I've been under the weather for a few days, but have recovered to the point that I am vertical again.

Eric

probro1213 06-02-2005 02:38 PM

i have a Swany burrito also(best hovering harrier trainer ever)
The gear is a bit short but if you mix flaps for takeoff it works out great.
just a thought

m.gramling 06-05-2005 08:30 AM

What I did was mine. was mount the muffler backon the plane. on then position the tetherite gear over thetop of muffer. It looks a little funny at first, but it works great. I like the landing gear because they are light, but after a couple of ruff harrier landing, they wires got bend to bad. So I went with the way explained above.

MOJO65-9or10 07-17-2005 10:40 PM

I agree with you guy in the way the landing gear sort of sucks. I skipped the wire gear right from the beginning and relized what a pain it was to figure something out for it. I do have CF gear on it right now that goes under the muffler. It has about 1/8th of an inch and I am sure it is was caused my muffler to fail in flight the other day.

INSERT STORY- While chasing my roomate around 2 days ago I could hear a funny noise slowly getting louder and started to try and figure out what it was, while still chasing him around, when a small pop happened and suddenly my plane was dang loud. The mufflers (TH muffler) casting failed just aft of the bolt location and was hanging there by the pressure line going to the tank. Funny thing it just keep running. Heres the great part. I could still hover it just fine but it would bounce off the prop in normal flight. It all ended just fine and the tail end of the muffler is still hanging on to that line and my prop doesn't have a ding.

Sorry about that. Anyway the CF gear cracked on my first none perfect landing. I would of given it a 5 out of 10. Heck I didn't even hit the prop. So I do have some .100" thick aluminum plates that have countersunk screws to extend the dubro profile landing gear but they look crappy so I ended up repairing my CF gear. I wish I could recall who I bought it from but to tell ya the truth, I will not be buying CF gear ever again. So far I am 0 for 2 on CF gear.

I think the best thing to do would be to beef up a portion of the lower fus to accept a gear mount down further and you would never have a problem again.

Dave

JWilliams 07-19-2005 11:37 AM

Razorback is correct on my new gear being 3.5" from the top to the bend. However, remember that you cannot drill within 1/4" of the top or within 1/2" of the bend.
Jeff

MOJO65-9or10 07-19-2005 12:32 PM

My mojo is in the trash can. I had a midair. Dang I always thought that I would see my first from some other standpoint than being one of those involved. Oh well, during midseason I don't build so I ordered a Katana gs40 from OMP and some tetherlight gear. Total came to 135.00 with shipping.

Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang Dang.

Dave - I LOVED my MOJO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

depfife 08-06-2005 01:39 PM

Had a small repair to do on the nose of my Burrito, and I thought it would be a good time to try a set of Jeff's landing gear. It is long enough that it can be bolted to the hardwood engine mount and still clear the muffler of a 2 stroke engine. :D

I love my Burritos, but the landing gear is my least favorite feature. I would prefer them to be taller.

Emmitt 08-08-2005 05:47 AM

I got some 5/32 music wire from the lhs and used the stock gear as a pattern and using a vise made some just like the stock gear just taller. It's easy to do and you get the clearance you want.

depfife 08-08-2005 06:49 AM

I thought about that, but did not try it. Is the longer gear you made stiff enough to hold up to the ruff treatment profiles often receive?

JPMacG 08-08-2005 10:44 AM

Ditto the previous comment about flaps. I was having trouble getting my Burrito off the ground. I'm using the stock wire gear. It had plenty of power but sort of stuck to the runway. I added about 20 degrees of flaperons for takeoff, and now it gets off in 20 feet. I guess there was some sort of ground effect that was preventing the wings from getting enough lift.

depfife 08-08-2005 12:50 PM

I sometimes use flaps and that helps, but I am anti-switch. If it can be turned on at the wrong time I'm the guy that will do it.

MOJO65-9or10 08-08-2005 04:26 PM

I had the same problem with my mojo after I had switched landing gear. The darn nose had been lowered so much that the wings were no longer making enough lift to take off. It was funny as can be to watch it go 40-50mph down the runway til it would hit a bump or the grass which would cause the plane to go into a wall because I was holding in so much elevator trying to take off. I simply just would go straight up after that. FUNNY TO WATCH but not so funny to have your plane doing it.

Dave

Texan 08-19-2005 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Krazy Legs gear for my Burrito. The lower secion of the fuse under the motor mount must be modified (photos). I used a hardwood block and pinned it to the motor mount with two three inch carbon fiber rods. I built a second Burrito for a friend with a ply extention under the motor mount. It worked great with the Krazy Legs gear.