RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Hots profile fun fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/5722329-hots-profile-fun-fly.html)

ChuckW 04-15-2007 10:54 PM

Hots profile fun fly

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished up my Hots profile. This was my first build from plans. It came out a little heavier than I thought it would at 3.75 pounds but that's not bad I guess. I'm going to maiden it this saturday as long as the weather cooperates.

krayzc-RCU 04-15-2007 10:58 PM

RE: Hots profile fun fly

outstanding work you are a natural. I could not have posted my 1st build photo unless it was for the humor section.....

any pics of the underside of the bird?

ChuckW 04-16-2007 12:44 AM

This was my first build from plans but I've built at least a dozen kits. I didn't get any pictures of the underside. I'm going to use some sort of pattern or maybe lettering on the bottom of the wing to help with orientation, I just haven't decided what yet.

Dr1Driver 04-16-2007 06:50 PM

3.5 - 3.75 is good for that plane, since it's designed to be flown with a hot .40-.46. I had one with an OS .46 FX and it really did tricks. Get the next one down to around 3.25 and put an OS .32 or Webra .32GT on it.

Dr.1

ChuckW 04-16-2007 08:20 PM

That's a .46 LA bolted on it right now. I have another plane with a .46-AX that I'm think of putting a 4-stroke on. I'll probably bolt the AX on the Hots.

PropSpinner 04-17-2007 04:23 AM

Looks good! Where did you get your plans?

SkyBurner 04-17-2007 07:02 AM

PropSpinner,[link=http://aviationshoppe.com/airplane-plans/index.php?category=11&page=2&sort=count]Hots40 Zip[/link]
Here's a download for a profile Hots in DXF format, also in this zip file are plans for a hots profile bipe, don't know if they are the same as the plane pictured here, but worth a look if your interested. Bird looks good Chuck.
Robert

ChuckW 04-17-2007 10:19 PM

I bought the plans from Model Airplane News. I actually deviated from them a little. The landing gear on mine is different, I added a 1/8x1/2 hardwood spline along the bottom of the fuse to stiffen it and I added 1/16 balsa sheeting to the rear 3/4 of the fuse. I know this added a little weight but the fuse is now perfectly straight and very rigid. If I like the way it flies I plan on having the plans enlarged by 20% and using a .60.

ChuckW 04-17-2007 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: SkyBurner

PropSpinner,[link=http://aviationshoppe.com/airplane-plans/index.php?category=11&page=2&sort=count]Hots40 Zip[/link]
Here's a download for a profile Hots in DXF format, also in this zip file are plans for a hots profile bipe, don't know if they are the same as the plane pictured here, but worth a look if your interested. Bird looks good Chuck.
Robert
i looked at these, they are different than the plans I used but the bipe looks really interesting. I might have to try one.

ChuckW 04-21-2007 05:54 PM

Well, it flys. Pretty good too. It needed a couple clicks of up and some left aileron but that was it. I was suprised how stable it was for it's size. I had a guy fly it who is a much better pilot than me and I was actually kind of impressed with my work for a second. There is still some experimenting to do with props, control throws, etc. but I am very happy overall. The plane will just about hover motionless when landing into the breeze, very cool to watch. With a different prop and/or a different engine it might do some decent 3D stuff. I already have plans to do a 20% larger version with a .60.

Dr1Driver 04-22-2007 09:38 AM

I'll give ya a tip on the prop. Use a large diameter/flat pitch. Use at least 45 degrees on elevator and ailerons. Everything you can get on the rudder.

Dr.1

j.duncker 04-22-2007 03:57 PM

Try an APC 12 1/4 x 3 3/4 prop.

Manage the speed / RPM with the thotle stick and she will be fine.

ChuckW 04-22-2007 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

Try an APC 12 1/4 x 3 3/4 prop.
Got one in the field box. I plan on giving it a try next weekend.

JL636 04-26-2007 05:52 AM

As far as a profile Super Hots goes, Morris Hobbies sells one. I've just finished the fuse and soon will start the wing. The kits have above average grade balsa and a good set of plans. The only draw back is the instructions. They are mainly print and are more or less a guide to using the print. I was surprised at how sturdy the fuse is, has plenty of doublers and light ply. Plan to use a 46FX. 46 Magnum or a mid 40's FSR. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would and show some of the construction. OH well. Oh by the way, ChuckW, NICE JOB! Joe

RC-Captain 03-23-2008 09:19 AM

Can sombody let me know the High and Low throws for this plane ? I just bought one ARF and am setting it up right now.

CAP

RCAIRGreg 05-18-2018 09:55 AM

The plans

I downloaded the plans and converted them to PDF and printed them out in poster mode. I had to scale them up to 500% and the fuselage came out Very close to the correct scale. I have not yet printed out the wing plans.

Dad2g5 12-23-2019 01:25 PM

Hello, I am scratch building a hots now. I am installing a Saito .40 FA in it. The plans call for a .25 to .32 2 stroke. Anyone try a 4 stroke on this plane before?