RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Aeroworks Profile Maiden Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/694460-aeroworks-profile-maiden-flight.html)

Texas 3D 04-14-2003 03:31 PM

Aeroworks Profile Maiden Flight

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys, weather was beautiful this past Saturday, and I worked until 1:00 AM to get the Aeroworks Profile ready for maiden flight. Heck, even went to Home Depot at 10 PM to buy some bolts for the engine mount. Well, I got there early, and everything looked fine. I had to change the throttle servo at the field, because it was bad, but once that done we where ready for maiden flight. Engine (Moki 2.10) was running beautifully so on the runway it went, and here we go: It took of within probably 30 foot. Beautiful, and climbing out...oh yeah no rolling to left or right just tracking along nicely what a beauty......oh no, whats that fludder on the elevator.....???? to late, the whole horizontal stab broke of in flight. Don't have to tell you guys any more. Just look at pictures. Maiden flight lastet about 10 seconds. Plane destroyed, 2 brand new JR 4721 servos broken, brand spanking new aluminum Tru Turn spinner gone, etc. At least the engine is fine, and didn't get damaged. Men was I dissapointed. As you probably know, I modified the elevator a little bid to allow more throw on the rudder. However that shouldn't have caused the horizintal stab to come off. It broke clean off.
Oh well, I will send Aeroworks an email about it an see what they have to say.

Next project here we come. :D

Texas 3D 04-14-2003 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic where the stab broke of :

Texas 3D 04-14-2003 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

latch66 04-14-2003 03:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss Ulf.

I hope the plane had the decency to at least crash on the grass and not the concrete. Is the Moki OK?

jnjacksn was flying his this weekend, it's doing good. He too modified the elevator for additional rudder throw. So, I don't think that was the problem.

ajcoholic 04-14-2003 03:43 PM

Just curious, what size prop were you running on the Moki?

AJC

jsonin 04-14-2003 03:53 PM

Wow!

Now that stinks... on a maiden too.

Looks like a 'clean' break - how strong was the balsa there? Was it re-enforced balsa or just soft balsa?

Sorry to hear about that Ulf,
Juhan

tetherite 04-14-2003 04:11 PM

Sounds like tail braces are a "must" for this plane!
Sorry, Ulf!

Kevins_RC 04-14-2003 04:20 PM

Sorry to hear it - ULF! :( That really sucks! AW has always been a great company that backs up their products. I am sure that they will do whatever they can to make good within reason.
Kevin :D

Texas 3D 04-14-2003 04:32 PM

Moki engine is OK. It was swinging a 20x8 Bambula prop. It went in over the grass. The balsa was 5/16", and it looks like it was just regular balsa. I'll let you guys know what Aeroworks says about this.
Yeah I guess tail braces are a must on this bird.

tipstall-RCU 04-14-2003 04:42 PM

Man that hurts, I mean really hurts. Sorry for the loss Ulf.

Ken

BUCKETOBOLTS 04-14-2003 05:24 PM

A crash of a new plane is always disappointing. But at least it wasn't a dumb thumb mistake. Has anyone else had any elevator trouble?

DKjens 04-14-2003 10:22 PM

Ulf,
Sorry to hear about your crash, and after all the time you put into this plane. You mention the items damaged by the crash, but that's just money, it's the time that sucks.

I think I did post that I witnessed some serious flutter in my elevator when flying at some speed. Upon inspection, I found that the whole horizontal stab had come loose in the fuse (I had used CA, not Epoxy). Well, I cleaned the area well with alcohol, reglued with CA and mounted flying wires. I have not had any problems since, and I like to race around in knife edge he he.
DKjens

DKjens 04-15-2003 02:53 AM

Stab wires

1 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of my stab wires, which I guess is a must, judging from Ulf's experience, unless you have a gutless engine on the plane.
DKjens

DKjens 04-15-2003 02:54 AM

Flying wires

1 Attachment(s)
Another:

DKjens 04-15-2003 02:55 AM

Flying wires

1 Attachment(s)
And a last of the bottom.
DKjens

BUCKETOBOLTS 04-15-2003 11:06 AM

Jens did you simply start on one side thread the wire through the stab, rudder, then the other stab and attatch them to the bottom of the fuse? Or did you fasten them solidly to each surface?

Kevins_RC 04-15-2003 11:14 AM

Flying wires should be fasten to each surface, otherwise you will not achieve the full benefit, and they are of little use.

AFSalmon 04-15-2003 12:44 PM

GS540P

The OMP GS540P uses 3/8" balsa tail surfaces along with a 1/4" basswood spar running through the stab. No flying wires required, no flutter, and not one has ever broken off in flight. Yes the GS540P is a little heavier than the AW but that's the price for a structurally sound airframe. The last thing I want to worry about with my expensive radio equipment and engine flying around is the plane falling apart in the air!

Salmon

DKjens 04-15-2003 01:21 PM

The wires run through the surfaces with servo grommets inserted in the holes, then I filled the holes with CA. It keeps it all in place pretty well, was easy and light.
DKjens

Kevins_RC 04-15-2003 01:34 PM

Originally posted by DKjens
The wires run through the surfaces with servo grommets inserted in the holes, then I filled the holes with CA. It keeps it all in place pretty well, was easy and light.
DKjens

That is a neat way to do it! I never of thought of that approach for installation of flying wires. Thanks for the idea!

DKjens 04-15-2003 01:54 PM

Kevin,
It is just one continues wire, you can tie it tight, and with the resistance it offers to the grommets, or flying surfaces, you can easily allign everything before the glue. We can call this tip: ******************Tip #1 ha ha.
DKjens

Texas 3D 04-15-2003 06:19 PM

Response

Well, just received an email response from Aeroworks about the crash.
They will ship me a brand new one. That is very cool indeed. This proofs to me that they have a very good customer service and do care.
Now I am not sure if I am going to build it, or sell it. If I build it, it will definitely have tail braces. Even they recommended it in their email. Wonder if they will put a note with their ARF's now. I think they should !

Kevins_RC 04-15-2003 07:01 PM

That's GREAT!!!

Ulf - As I stated before, AW is a stand-up kinda company. I knew that they would make good. It is always good to hear when a company believes is truely support their customer base. I'm glad for you, regardless what you decide to do with the new kit. :D :D :D

DKJens - The idea of threading the wire all the way around, then aligning everything up, then gluing thrilled me when you first posted your flying wire installation technique. I caught that ease of installation right off! I Like it!

BUCKETOBOLTS 04-15-2003 08:13 PM

Jens mind if I copy your wires? What size wire did you use?

DKjens 04-15-2003 08:51 PM

Kevin,
Glad you like it, I don't know how well that would be on larger scale planes with gas or severely vibrating engines at idle, but for funfly's where the damage would happen because of excessive speed or prop wash, this should be strong enough.

I used wire from a 2-56 pull-pull system. Copy away.

Now if you put something like a zdz80RV on this plane, these wires may not save it he he.

DKjens