RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Yard Dart (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/7142007-yard-dart.html)

reincarnate 02-26-2008 07:21 PM

Yard Dart

Ran across an old Direct Connection Yard Dart II competition fun fly kit at the LHS. Can't find much documentation anyplace, (a few mentions on RCU) but I'm just wondering how it flies, performs, etc. Anyone still flying one?

bob_nj 03-01-2008 07:14 AM

RE: Yard Dart

It would be amazing if anyone is still flying the Dart.
I flew one in comp fun fly years ago.
It was a good contender at the time, and flew well for what it was designed to do.

If you want to tool around it'll be fine, but it's not a sport flyer type of plane.
From what I remember, you don't want to use full throttle much unless you're going up.

It has a CF boom doesn't it?

reincarnate 03-01-2008 10:21 AM

Yup. Carbon fiber boom, birch profile fuse, and bicycle gear. I only bought it because I found it buried under a pile of dust at the LHS. Tag had marked down price of $50 on it and owner let me have it for $30. I'm always up for one you don't see every day, and it looks like this one may one of those!

Our club does fun fly competitions about three or four times a year. The Dart will be a nostalgic entry for a couple of guys.

bob_nj 03-01-2008 10:41 AM

Have fun with it [8D]

reincarnate 03-15-2008 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the plane finished, except for linkages. Obviously deviated from the Yard Dart theme, but the plane is the same.

idoxlr8-RCU 03-16-2008 08:13 PM

We'll you certainly reincarnated that one. That looks really cool the way you finished it. I have three of these still in the box. I might have to open one up and build one now. Thanks, I really need a new project now!

hemiflyer1 02-02-2012 04:03 AM

I had a Baby Dart back in the early 90's. Had a OS .15 on it.  It was so much fun, I'm gonna build another one. My son was talking about it and I told him I thought I still had the plans for one so...we're gonna build 2 from scratch. The plans have seen better days, but they'll work. 

philfun 02-17-2012 05:29 PM

Hi Hemmi,
What span was the Baby Dart?
Thanks

Moodystarbuck 10-23-2013 10:34 AM

Baby Dart

Originally Posted by philfun (Post 10963847)
Hi Hemmi,
What span was the Baby Dart?
Thanks

I just joined and seen these older threads. If it is the same kit that was manufactured by AmericanAero the span on the baby dart is 36" the yard dart is 48 and I still own both. truth be known i am friends with the man that manufactured the kits and I also worked for him for a while making the kits. He still has all the jigs and such for the baby dart, yard dart and the one that is bigger yet and uses a 60 size motor. the baby dart i use a fox 15 and on the yard dart i use an enya 35. Tommy could build a yard dart with a total weight of 3lb. mine was 3lb and 4oz. Have a great day!