RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   Top Cap with YS .53 questions... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/87648-top-cap-ys-53-questions.html)

nickbee 03-26-2002 02:11 PM

Top Cap with YS .53 questions...

My Top Cap is in, and I'm acquiring a NIB YS .53 from a fellow club member tonight (How happy am I :)).

A few questions for people with this combo:

1) Did you do anything special to balance the plane?
2) What's the best prop?
3) How many washers did you use for right thrust?
4) Is the sock gear location ok for clearance?
5) What fuel tank are you using?
6) What are your flight times like

A few questions for everyone:

1) are you using a tail wheel, if so which one?
2) is CA good enough for the wing and stab, or did you use epoxy
3) did you seal the hinge gaps?
4) Where did you run your antenna wire?

Thanks!

shmo46 03-27-2002 02:34 AM

Hi Nick,

Just about done with mine. The last step is to mount the engine for balance don't know how much your engine weighs, but a 470 gram (?) engine ends up fairly far back when the radio and batt are moved to the front of the wing.

I ended up using the standard fuel tank, haven't heard any complaints from others, but because it is a relatively permanent instalation i went with copper tube to replace the aluminum.

i don't like tail wheels that stress the rudder, so i went with The dubro. usually set these up with the steering axis about half an inch in front of the rudder axis. the steering leg of the wire ends up under the rudder poking thru a mini eyelet to allow the wire to rotate and slide. a little more work but i like the results, the wheel turns about half as much as the rudder . sulivan makes a tail that would work well too it has sping to absorb shock. i have used this one too but the plane wobbles a bit. seems to me i upgraded from a 40 size to a 60 to get better control responce.

I used epoxy, but i did not think the Fiberglass was necissary. others have done the CA and it seems to work for them.

stock gear is fine for a 14 inch prop. you get 2.5 inch clearance.

i did not seal my gaps yet, but was just reading in the aerodynamics section that sealing gaps does make a significant difference even for 3D and reduces tendancy to flutter, so i think i will give it a shot.

best of luck

Joe

JohnVH 03-27-2002 02:56 AM

1) Nope, follow the instructions. I did however, put the RX behind the servo's and the batt, in front of them.
2) try a 13x4W?
3) 1
4) Yep, its close with a 14" but you can move them down easily
5) The one that came with it in the stock location
6) I keep upping my timer on my 8103 and Im up to 10:30 and dont run out of fuel yet with a saito .72

A few questions for everyone:

1) Im using the stock one, but its bent, buy a good one!
2) CA is just fine, use thin to get in there
3) Nope, flutter isnt a problem if your not doing speed dives!
4) I poked it out the wing and came down the center of the bottom of the fuse

Thanks!

visioneer_one 03-27-2002 03:01 PM

Perfect timing. My Top Cap arrived yesterday... I have a five-day weekend (!) coming up so it will be done by Friday. I't's also getting a YS .53.

(/me printing and bookmarking this post)

Am I the only person that got a Su-do-khoi manual?

edit: typos. Wireless keyboards suck. :)

PaulSwany 03-27-2002 03:51 PM

I've got a SuDoKhoi manual.

nickbee 03-27-2002 06:14 PM

visioneer,

Congrats on a great set-up. I ordered both the reg and slim hayese 8oz tanks. I'll let you know which one works better. I don't trust ARF tanks with out YS's.

JohnVH 03-27-2002 06:18 PM

mine came with the sudo manual too

m.gramling 03-27-2002 06:26 PM

I fly my top cap arf with a ys 63. Love it. I have a 14x4 zinger on it. I had to move my landing gear down about 2 inch to get proper prop clerance. I set my timer on my radio to land when I hit 8 min. I used a regular hayes 8 oz tank. I didn't have a slimline. YOu will love this set up. I only have about 8 flights on mine so far. I am still dialing it in.

Right now I have 3 washers up front for thrust offset.
I have my CG set at 5" back.

visioneer_one 03-27-2002 08:48 PM

Hm. I was planning on tossing the supplied tank. I don't think I have any Hayes tanks smaller than 10 oz. Overkill. I'll root around in the spares box and see what falls out.

m.gramling 03-27-2002 09:03 PM

As much fuel as my YS 63 guzzles I would love to have a 10 oz on mine. I mounted the tank inside the wing. I wish I could swap it out with a 10 oz. But to much work would be involved.

nickbee 03-27-2002 10:42 PM

I just picked up the Sullivan .40 size tail wheel bracket form my LHS. I am using the same one on my SE and I love it. The spring takes all the shock for the rudder when you are plowing through the grass. What prop will work best with the .53 YS? I'll have to set it up and see if I need to move the gear down at all (I guess it can't hurt to move it down a bit).

nickbee 03-28-2002 05:27 AM

I got a SuDoKhoi manual also...

I talked to the Morris boys, they are just about done with new manuals for all thier planes. I guess we'll have to make due :)

RLDIII 03-28-2002 03:35 PM

I use the YS .53 on a Sig Fazor, so while I can address the engine issues on a Fun Fly plane, I won't try to address the plane questions. As far as the engine goes, I agree with the tank recommendations. Use a high quality Hayes of Dubro tank to withstand the +/- 9-10 psi pressure the YS will put on it. I use a Dubro 8 oz tank and have had no tank problems. Also, try to find the good PINK Prather heavy wall fuel tubing to plumb everything with and you will save yourseif the grief of springing the ocassional fuel line leak and tear under pressure.

As for props, My YS .53 does VERY well with the APC 13 x 4 wide blade on the Fazer (but good luck finding one unless your LHS will order it for you!). Acceleration and vertical are incredible, and when you slam the throttle shut on a down line the brake effect is very good.

visioneer_one 03-28-2002 09:01 PM

Bugger.

I was wrong. The smallest Slimline tank I have is 12 oz. Mondo overkill, plus it won't fit.

In fact none of the 8-10 oz tanks I have on hand fit. The only thing I've seen that may work is an 8 oz. Sullivan rectangular tank.

This little monster will have to wait until that order arrives.

edit: more typos. I'm going to shoot this keyboard!! :mad:

nickbee 03-28-2002 09:19 PM

The hayes tanks don't use copper tubes. The line is connected right to nipples on the tank. I'm not sure how I'm going to run the lines out of the wings yet.

A) Install tubes through the wing and make connections to the tank with hose.

B) Just run the hoses from the tank right out for the wings.

MMMMMMM??????

PaulSwany 03-28-2002 09:33 PM

Stick the tank on the side of the fuse oposite the motor... That's what I did on my SuDoKhoi.

funfly2005 03-28-2002 09:50 PM

What size are the stock tanks????????

PaulSwany 03-28-2002 10:12 PM

I tank that shows in the plans on my SuDoKhoi is 6 oz and mounted in the wing.

JohnVH 03-29-2002 01:44 AM

Originally posted by PaulSwany
Stick the tank on the side of the fuse oposite the motor... That's what I did on my SuDoKhoi.
why would you do this? to balance?

PaulSwany 03-29-2002 02:28 AM

The main reason I did it was so I could see my fuel level easily. Secondarily to offset the engine for balance. Besides, it's a lot easier that tring to stick the tank in the wing.

http://members.telocity.com/paulswany/sudokhoi24.jpg

JohnVH 03-29-2002 02:29 AM

OIC, on the outside, Thanks for the pic!:D

visioneer_one 03-29-2002 02:17 PM

Nice!! :D

I like this idea better than putting the tank in the wing. I've had one of my YS engines pop a tank before (Great Planes type). Lucky it was on the test stand at the time and not in a plane. It was pretty funny at the time, except for the faceful of glow fuel...

Not to mention that the Sullivan tanks swell up like balloons. They don't burst but they could pop glue joints (if inside the wing)

Seems like there would be a big CG shift as the tank empties, though. Have you found that to be much of an issue?

PaulSwany 03-29-2002 02:38 PM

I haven't had a big problem with CG shift.... but like any other 2c glow engine... when the tank is full, I run a little rich and when it's getting low, I run a little lean..... So I usually do my flat spins in the begining to burn off a little fuel and hovering at the mid point of my fuel supply...... Then touch and goes toward the end...

nickbee 03-31-2002 02:19 PM

RLDIII,

Central Hobbies sells the 13 x 4 prop. I need to order some stuff from them anyway so I"m going to pick up a few. What kind of RPMs are you getting with that combo?

Thanks

JohnVH 03-31-2002 04:54 PM

I think last time I tached my new saito.72 with a 13x4w it got 10,500