Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 PST TEMS and new AMA rule >

PST TEMS and new AMA rule

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

PST TEMS and new AMA rule

Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PST TEMS and new AMA rule

The AMA requirement is that the radios (PCM) be set to failsafe shut. What the TEMS does at the moment is on radio signal loss (PPM) in which it will shut down after 1 second. On PCM radios, it will respond to what it sees in the Rx, which according to what the AMA is defining, is that the failsafe setting be set to shut down (as opposed to failsafe hold last position). PST TEMS is fully in compliance with the new AMA rule to shutdown engine with in 1 second. however, it will need changes for the allowable 2 seconds delay.

We are looking at a system where the failsafe setting is set at a value below the normal shut value (trim and stick at minimum) so if the system goes into failsafe, the TEMS will wait for up to 2 seconds to see if the signal is restored again to allow the pilot a chance to bring the plane in.

We will keep you informed on the progress of this software change.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PST TEMS and new AMA rule

Any progress on the 2 second deal?

Dave Rigotti
Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave,

Kraivuth had planned to send me the 1st batch of ECU upgrade hardware for early-January. In light of recent events in that region of the world, I assume there will be a delay.

According to PST, you can at least be assured that the current TEMS system complies with the AMA requirements. Unfortunately, customers will be restricted to the 1 second delay maximum for now...

Either myself or Kraivuth will update this thread when we have more news. Sorry, but that's all the info I have at the moment.

Kelly
Old 12-30-2004, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the speedt reply. Will current units be able to be reprogrammed for the 2 second dely?

Dave Rigotti
Old 12-30-2004, 02:46 PM

Dave,

Short story:
At this point, a hardware change will be required to run the software version that includes the 2 second delay.

Long story:
A few months ago PST decided to roll out a new hardware version of the ECU, allowing for new features down the road. The current hardware version functions well but its memory is almost completely full and has no room for further expansion or changes in the menu structure without removing other features. The newer hardware version has a faster CPU and larger memory module.

When the AMA announced the 2 second requirement, PST decided to only incorporate the change in the new version (V2.36) which was already being developed. Since the old versions (V2.33 and V 2.34) both comply with the rule (although only at a 1 second delay) there wasn't a plan to revise the software for the old CPU.

Going forward, the only new software versions will be for the new hardware. The latest software version available for the old hardware will be V2.34. The good news is that the hardware upgrade doesn't constitute changing the entire ECU. Inside the ECU there are 2 boards... The lower board contains the amplifiers and does not need to be changed, while the upper board is the CPU, memory, and a few inputs. All ECU's sold to date are upgradeable with the new CPU board so no one's left out in the dark...

Thanks,
Kelly

PS: I've been in touch with the guys in Thailand. Bangkok didn't get hit too hard and everyone's OK. Its still business as usual aside from the logistical delays that are likely to follow with natural disasters.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Kelly,
Thank You for the reply. It explains very clearly the status of the TEMS units. Glad to hear all is as well as can be expected with the fellas in Thailand.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 PM

We have finished the new TEMS coding and the new software program is being tested at the moment. New features include glitch counter and user selectable fail-safe setting at 1, 1.5, and 2 secs. More details will be posted. Thanks.

Kraivuth S.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:35 PM

Just ordered a PST-600R on 01/04/05. Any chance of it having this latest TEMS?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 AM

Hi Dave,

Based on the testing we need to complete prior to official release, I don't think your ECU will have the new software. Unfortunately its not available to any customers quite yet.

The guys at the shop and the field reps need to go through the upgrade and thoroughly test the software prior to letting it out the door on a customer's ECU. We don't expect to see any major bugs as this is an evolution over the current software release, but we can't guarantee there won't be any fine tuning required on the new features.

If you wish, I'll make a note and contact you off-line to arrange the upgrade as soon as its available.

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 01-06-2005, 05:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Kelly W

Hi Dave,

Based on the testing we need to complete prior to official release, I don't think your ECU will have the new software. Unfortunately its not available to any customers quite yet.

The guys at the shop and the field reps need to go through the upgrade and thoroughly test the software prior to letting it out the door on a customer's ECU. We don't expect to see any major bugs as this is an evolution over the current software release, but we can't guarantee there won't be any fine tuning required on the new features.

If you wish, I'll make a note and contact you off-line to arrange the upgrade as soon as its available.

Thanks,
Kelly
Please contact as soon as it's available with cost of course

Dave
Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 AM

The latest and final V2.37 is available now. There is no hardware changes for TEMS V2.36 owners. Added features are Glitch counter and Fail Safe Time adjustment between 1, 1.5 and 2 seconds. All other parameters remain the same as other versions.

Kelly will have V2.37 programming capability within this week. PST Jets will incure all cost for V2.37 upgrades for V2.36 owners. For V2.33/V2.34 TEMS owners, hardware change, installation, and reprogramming are required and PST will provide the new top boards to Kelly on demands for the modification. Unfortunately, small cost will be incured to the customers for labor, parts, and shipping.

For V2.33/V2.34 owners, I have to stress the fact that there is no real need to do the modification and upgrade since V2.33/V2.34 TEMS is perfectly programmed for the J600R and is fully in compliance with the new AMA rule of 2 seconds or "less" fail safe shutdown. The V2.33/V2.34 TEMS is default at 1 second fail safe shutdown which is my personal preference based purely on safety perpectives.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: B777

The latest and final V2.37 is available now. There is no hardware changes for TEMS V2.36 owners. Added features are Glitch counter and Fail Safe Time adjustment between 1, 1.5 and 2 seconds. All other parameters remain the same as other versions.

Kelly will have V2.37 programming capability within this week. PST Jets will incure all cost for V2.37 upgrades for V2.36 owners. For V2.33/V2.34 TEMS owners, hardware change, installation, and reprogramming are required and PST will provide the new top boards to Kelly on demands for the modification. Unfortunately, small cost will be incured to the customers for labor, parts, and shipping.

I have to stress the fact that there is no real need to do the modification and upgrade since V2.33/V2.34 TEMS is perfectly programmed for the J600R and is fully in compliance with the new AMA rule of 2 seconds or "less" fail safe shutdown. The V2.33/V2.34 TEMS is default at 1 second shutdown which is my personal choice purely from safety perpectives.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Thanks for the speedy update. I'll place my order today for the 6006 with V2.37 TEMS.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 AM

Thanks Dave and I like what I see today with V2.37. I will update the J600R manual to include these new features soon.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:08 AM

Fabulous! Thanks and I know I'll enjoy the PST-600R in my BTE Reaction 54.

Dave Rigotti