Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

P600 shutdown mode

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

P600 shutdown mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P600 shutdown mode

getting intermittent starts on a P600.
TEMS item #5 has an asterix indicating "shutdown mode" Whats the cause(s) of this?
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: P600 shutdown mode

The asterisks on the right hand side only display the current status of the turbine. IE: the turbine is shut down if the asterisk is shown in position 5. The asterisk positions on the left hand side of thew screen are used for diagnosis of a shut down.

A failed start may or may not display an asterisk on the left side of the screen depending on where the start sequence was aborted. I'll need you to describe what's happening in order to give you feedback.

Kelly
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
limeybob

Kelly, Thanks for the prompt reply.
Right now we are getting get no start sequence at all from the Tx. In the past sometimes it has started, most times not.
The manual sez on page18 "TEMS is in shutdown mode-No start is possible" it needs the R/C etc signal to "Allow start"
How can I check this without actually starting the turbine, disconnect the gas and fuel lines? I'm checking this on the work bench so a start is not desirable.
I've reset to default and redjusted the ramp numbers to what they were originally, and relearned the R/C..
At the field this morning The start enable seems to work from the data terminal to start the turbine.
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 PM
limeybob

Kelly, OK I disconnected the gas and fuel, and tried to initiate a start from the TX, I took two try's from the Tx to get a start enable and a start, Switched off Rx to reset to shutdown, another two try's actually two out of three to get a start sequence.
Now it starts every time, after a RX off etc ? Hmmm?
Gonna try this all again tomorrow, getting late
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Kelly W

OK, so if I read this correctly... You're having trouble with getting the engine to initiate the start sequence from the trim up + flip the stick routine and the data terminal commanded start works fine?

I often get asked this one from guys with Futaba radios, and I usually ask them to adjust the trim 'step' size on their throttle trim to maximum. that would be a setting of 40 on a 9C for example. When you raise the trim you have a short time to flip the stick and have the ECU recognise it as a start instruction. Exactly where the trim up / down boundary is drawn in pulse width I don't know, but very few users have problems with digital trims after changing the step size.

Otherwise, you're absolutely correct about the start test. Empty the propane canister, and leave the ball valve closed on the kero line. You can try to start it all day long and nothing should ignite...

Does this help at all?

Kelly
Old 09-04-2006, 08:01 AM
limeybob

Kelly, thanks, the trim step is already set to the max, we foung this out a long time ago, I think JR has the right idea leaving the throttle trim as a manual one.
If the trim/stick sequence is initiated rapidly enough the turbine will start, any longer than a second or so and it will not start, this is way shorter than the 5 seconds in the manual, what is the actual time?
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Kelly W

It looks like we may have found a small discrepancy in the manual. I'll point it out to the guys in Thailand and ask them to confirm.

I use a Futaba 9C (and previously an 8U) and always use the max trim rate on the throttle. I'm with you on JR, and I sure wish Futaba would consider keeping the throttle on an analog trim... Regardless, I've never had a problem when starting from the TX if I immediately flip the throttle stick after hearing the trim beep at its end of travel. I always thought the time was around 1-2 seconds, but I may be wrong there.

If you flip it immediately does it always work for you or are we still looking for another gremlin somewhere?

Kelly
Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
limeybob

Kelly, always starts if you flip it quick enough.
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For digital trim radio, it is more effective to assign the max/min trim function to a switch. As for Futaba 9C or 8U,you can mix this function easily to one of the 2 or 3-position switches. Moving the ditigal trim from min to max may exceed the 5 seconds start allowance time.

Another trick is to just use half of the trim; min to half of max. This setting can be done while you are doing the Learn R/C setting. When the TEMS ask you for max trim, you just set it to half. This tells the TEMS that your max trim is at half trimposition.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:39 PM
limeybob

Kraivuth S., thanks for the input, but the allowable time on our unit is nowhere near 5 seconds, more like one second or less.
If its supposed to be 5 seconds, how do we get it fixed.
Our other turbines don't have this problem!
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
limeybob

Kraivuth S. OK I've check the time it takes to activate the trim etc, it takes approx 3 seconds.
Sounds like the switch concept is the way to go.
Regards
Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 AM
B777

Hi Bob,

For safety, we always use "Cut/Start" or "Start/Kill" switch regardless of radio brand or trim type. The 5 seconds start sequence counts from initiating trim lever to start position (max or where you've set during the Learn R/C setting) then cycling the throttle lever from idle to full then idle again. "Cut/Start" switch is the way to go not only for safety but to avoid accidental start sequence as well.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM
limeybob

Kraivuth S. Thanks, I agree.
FYI I have spent a lot of time in Thailand, on business, Do you know the "Rose Garden" hotel, we spent many hours there,as it was close to our factories.
Bob
Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
B777

Hi Bob,

Will check on the Rose Garden Hotel. Give us a call when you are in Bangkok and you are invited to jon us at the factory or at the field. Please check the PST FOD thread for my reply as well.

Thanks and regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
limeybob

Kraivuth S. my travelling days are over, I retired in 1999.
Regards
Bob