Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 Faster throttle response? Throttle Curve? >

Faster throttle response? Throttle Curve?

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

Faster throttle response? Throttle Curve?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faster throttle response? Throttle Curve?

I have a PST J600R. Is there any way to get a little faster throttle response? Say from half to full throttle. Thanks guys!
Mario
(I have a Futaba 9Cap Super) I am thinking of setting this up on my throttle curve channel.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Faster throttle response? Throttle Curve?

Hi Moe,

I fly with the same radio. Changing your throttle curve to exponential from linear will not effect the spool time. It will only change the perceived throttle position vs. stick position, although it may train you to throttle up at an earlier time in the flight as a result.

The only way to ensure that your engine is spooling up at highest possible acceleration is to set all the ramp up settings to the minimum allowable settings. I believe this is 6 - 4 - 4 on your engine (Lo - Mid - High). As the naming convention tends to indicate, low handles the bottom end of the spectrum, up to around the 20% throttle area, then mid, and so on.... If you're particularly concerned about mid to full throttle and want to be more conservative at the bottom end, just minimize the mid and high settings. General rule: A larger number = slower ramp.

In a healthy engine, these settings should work well.

Kelly
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks Kelly! For some reason when I go to start the turbine from the GDT. this is how I have ALWAYS started it. (enable start) the turbine just keeps spinning to around 15000 rpm and will stay there until I shut down the engine. The proppane valve is not letting propane through. No light on the solinoid. Every other time I have started it before it spins up to about 7000rpm then back down then back up to 7000 rpm until it lights off of the propane. The propane is NOT even starting... Also there is an * in number 8 on the GDT. I reset all the defaults and same thing happends with the starting..
Thanks, Mario
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Mario,
That is a failed EGT probe. This happens when the EGT probe's outer housing becomes grounded to one or both of the internal leads. It causes a ground loop through either the glow lead or the starter. When trying to start it, aside from the propane valve's LED not lighting up you'll likely also notice abnormal EGT levels on the EGT readout, even though nothing's ignited.

Installing a new probe will fix this. Any K-type thermocouple will work, so long as its not grounded. Let me know if you have trouble tracking one down.

Thanks,
Kelly

PS: No need to PM me and post an identical message in the forum. Posting in the forum allows everyone to read the answer, helping others to self diagnose any problems in the future.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Thanks kelly! and ditto on the pm. I thought a faulty EGT probe is when the temp reads 979 on the ground display terminal? I will order one from Dreamworks and install it and let you know.
Thanks, mario
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM

There are 2 failure modes on EGT probes:

(1) Broken circuit, the most common type, which results in 979C or 980C.
(2) Failed ground, less common and not as easy to diagnose unless you know the symptoms...

You should be able to take the connector off the probe you have now, and install it on the replacement with the correct polarity. If a vendor is unsure if it's a grounded or non-grounded type (Should be specified by manufacturer) its as simple as doing a continuity test with a multimeter.

Kelly