Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 5 cell receiver pack reading "No RC" or Invaled RC on my GDT.. >

5 cell receiver pack reading "No RC" or Invaled RC on my GDT..

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

5 cell receiver pack reading "No RC" or Invaled RC on my GDT..

Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 cell receiver pack reading "No RC" or Invaled RC on my GDT..

And when I switch back to my 4 cell pack (4.8v) its fine. Just when I use a 5 cell pack for my Rx battery. I have read somewhere on here someone having the same problem. Do I need to change some settings for a 5 cell Rx pack? thanks!, Mario
PST J600R
Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5 cell receiver pack reading "No RC" or Invaled RC on my GDT..

Hi Mario!
I'm sure Kelly or Kraivuth will chime in here, they know the GB electronics inside and out, and are good at it!

Until they do: there is nothing you can do yourself, short of a regulator (I've got two of GB's hobby versions that need 6.0-Volts or less, while my PST version is happy at an unregulated ?-volts off of a 5-cell).
There are little electronic gremlins that like to play with our toys (sort of like the old 1960's version of The Twilight Zone), and your controller seems to have them. My two hobby versions have several hundred flights, each, using a regulator.
The final word is Kelly and Kraivuth's, but if your controller is several years old, and you are not close to the time to send things in for maintenance, stick a 6-Volt regulator on it and go fly (after doing a new range check, of course!).

Greg
Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,

Long story:
The 5-cell 'no RC' error only tends to happen with ECU's from a couple years ago, and when the pack is peak charged with little to no load present (i.e. no servos drawing current...). The comparator circuit that interprets the PWM signal from the Rx signal lead can become confused when a 5-cell pack is highly charged, where the upper value of the signal's square wave is near that of the abnormally high positive lead's voltage. This is most often seen on the test bench where the is next to no load on the system, and particularly with Futaba receivers as I remember it. It often fixes itself once installed in an aircraft and connected with the entire radio system drawing current, drawing down the pack voltage.

That being said, the comparator circuit was revised some time ago to deal with this problem, and it is likely retrofitable to your ECU. I can perform this hardware upgrade locally if you wish, but I do need to know your ECU's software version just to confirm what CPU board it will have.

Short story:
option 1 - switch to a 4-cell pack or run a regulator...
option 2 - have the ECU serviced and run a 5-cell pack with no regulator

Kelly
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM
My Feedback: (135)

I had the same problem. I installed a 5.1V regulator and no more problem.

Bob
Old 12-18-2007, 08:27 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks Kelly! and others