Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 J1300 Popping/crackling at top RPM >

J1300 Popping/crackling at top RPM

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

J1300 Popping/crackling at top RPM

Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J1300 Popping/crackling at top RPM

My 1300 has been running perfectly when I bought it and then after about 10 flights it had ingested sand due to a missed approach and landed short before the tarmac in the soft sand completely my fault there.
I sent it back to PST for a service which turned out to be quite an expensive exersize, over $900US and this is without changing compressor or turbine wheel, just bearing change, clean-up and balance. []
Anyhow, with that said the engine had been restored to exellent operating condition again and I commenced flying as usual. However after about another 12 or so flights i noticed a strange noise when I have the throttle at max RPM.
It is a sort of popping and crackling noise, the popping is quite concerning because it can be felt like a bas speaker as well as heard but this popping is reduced significantly when the RPM is below 114K.
It sounds as if the airflow in the compressor stage is damming and turbulance or eddy currents are causing uneaven airflow to the combustion chamber at high RPM? or the comprssor can't push the amount of air required and it is starting to compressor stall?
I have re-learnt R/C perameters in the TEMS as well as calibrate the MAX rpm automatically while engine is running but doesn't make any difference. I can't run the engine with confidence past 114K without getting the feeling the next big pop will damage the turbine wheel/blades somehow...

Either way, I am not sure what to do from here...?
I don't want to send it back for another expensive 'service' if i can help it.[]
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J1300 Popping/crackling at top RPM

I will need to check the repair detail..in the mean time, please contact PST direct at [email protected]

B777