Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

Hung Start PST 600r with only 6 hours run time since 25 hour checkup

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

Hung Start PST 600r with only 6 hours run time since 25 hour checkup

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hung Start PST 600r with only 6 hours run time since 25 hour checkup

This is a followup to my previous post. I have tried many things to get my PST 600r to go beyond 30K. It ignites on the propane and starts to accelerate to 30K then, stays or drops down to 27K. It will never ramped beyond 30-31k. The temps raises to about 650-700. When the temp gets that high I shut it down. The pump is a flight works and works fine.

I have checked all the recommended suggestions from rcuniverse. I cleaned the o-ring, check the bendix. I even went as far as removing the starter motor when the turbine reached 30k to verify that the starter was not holding the turbine from spooling up. The pump works fine, I have flushed it. I adjusted slowed the start ramp to 62 to slow the ramp up, same result. I am beginning to wonder what the main cause of the problems is. I purchased the PST because they are supposed to be very reliable and great running engines.

PST I need help.

Rod
Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hung Start PST 600r with only 6 hours run time since 25 hour checkup

Hi Rod,
I run the PST 600.
Yes , I have seen this problem sometimes with my 600.
I think it is to do with the propane supply and normally a good shake of the propane bottle while the turbine is not accelerating( beyond 30k) gets it going just fine.
Dont worry about a little liquid propane that may get into the line while you are shaking it
Xantos
Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Rod_Hart

Default RE: Hung Start PST 600r with only 6 hours run time since 25 hour checkup

PST,

I received my turbine back last week and attempted to start it today. Same issue as before. Ten+ attempted starts and all hung starts, never going above 30-35K rpms. I have sent you an email with video of the TEMs. I can post the video here or on you tube if you need better quality. Please help.

Rod
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Rod_Hart

I attempted 10 starts after getting it back from PST. I have also tried to start the 600r by by-passing my uat, on board tanks and using an external tank. I am at a lost. It ran fine at PST. I have video from them to prove it. The only difference if that I am at 7000 feet and the turbine is installed in a Shokjet. I need help. I really want to fly the shokjet before winter comes.

I will post the link to the you tube in the next post.

Rod
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Rod_Hart

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oak5ZC94CvQ]PST 600r You tube[/link]

Please review in 480p to see the screen

Rod
Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
fw190pilot

Rod

Are you using propane or powermax?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Rod_Hart

Propane
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Molar mender

Sent you a PM

Roy
Old 09-15-2010, 11:35 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Don't know if it is he weather, the spin of the earth or what. But my 800 does the same just recently, and almost all the time. i just have to leave the gas hooked up and increase the gas a little till the turbine ramps up. The same as yours it starts to hang around 30,000. it seems to be going ok and lit on gas but not enough to keep going. Manually adding gas works everytime now.
good luck
Paul
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Had the exact same problem with my J800R, thought there was something drastically wrong with the turbine or pump or ECU or programming. Turned out to be a small matter of starting technique. I simply shut off the propane as it ramps through 10-15k rpm. It continues to ramp perfectly on kero. My head tells me the ECU and solenoid should be controlling the propane and I should be able to just sit there and watch. Experience tells me too much propane can be a problem, and the small task of shutting off the propane a little early solved the problem. Give it a try and let us know...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Rod_Hart

I sent it back to PST and they adjusted the pump and sent video of it working on thier test stand. When I got it back, I reinstalled it into my shokjet and no luck. The video is from the attempts after the return from PST. PST has been very helpful through email but nothing has worked. I have tried about everything. I removed it and put it in a test a stand. Tried different levels of propane but never tried turning it off at 15k. I was able to boost the turbine with a blower through 30k then again at 40k. I could get it to idle then slowly that it up to max thrust and then flameout on the way back down. the ramped need to be adjusted, I am at 7000ft. I tried a 7 cell nicad battery to see if it was the starter. It did not help still had to use the blower. I am using propane with a regulator. It has been very frustrating. I could blame it on me being new to turbine but the person I bought it from was the first owner and has been helping me. He has three wrens and a jet central. He definitely knows what he is doing. We did run the PST on a test stand last fall before I installed it in the shokjet. It started fine for one run. Using the blower will not help in the shockjet. The wing covers where the blower needs to go. I have a bunch of attempted starts. I have learned a bunch. At least know once I get it beyond 40k, it will most likely work. It is just finding out what is causing it not to spool beyond 30k. I will try what you suggested this weekend. If it does not work I will be sending it back to Thailand again. It has been a frustrating summer. I was hoping on getting my turbine waiver but it might have to wait till next spring.

Thanks

Rod
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Rod_Hart

Tried again this weekend. I tried Bruce idea. Same result step fail. I as able to consistently able to get it to start and idle by using a blower at 30k through 40k. After using the blower the turbine idles great and I can accelerate it to full speed. I still need to adjust the ramps both up and down but runs good once I get it past 40k. I am waiting for PST to let me know what to do next.

Rod
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Rod_Hart

I am sending the turbine back to Thailand. They are going to give it a second look to se what is causing the problems. SHould have it back in the next couple of weeks.

Rod
Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Rod_Hart

Received the turbine back Saturday. Upon tear down, it needed a new combustion chamber and the injectors were eroded. Fired it up tonight, ran great with the new chamber. The shokjet will fly this weekend. The worst part is it could have been fixed when I sent it back in Aug. The altitude seems to have a very big effect on the turbines. It ran fine for PST back in August when I sent it to them the first time (near sea level vs 7000 ft for me). Never could get it to run correctly for me until the chamber change. After talking to the original owner, we are both wondering if at the 20 hour inspection and new bearings if they did not check the chamber and injectors. I received it with only 6.5 hours after the inspection and bearing change and had the original owners help the entire time.

Rod