Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-40 Racing
Reload this Page >

Looking For Prather TONI 40 size Kit or Information

Community
Search
Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Looking For Prather TONI 40 size Kit or Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Lou Zeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Prather TONI 40 size Kit or Information

Good Day:

Iam just getting back into RC after a 25 year break and was wondering if anyone has an old Prather TONI 40 sizekit ( I think it was used in the Formula 1 class ). Also does anyone have acces to SIG Mustang 450 plans, I would gladly pay for a copy if possible. I can still get the old Stinger plans on-line but it seems not much is available, I guess there is no class to fly these in anymore. Thanks for you time and any information.

Regards

Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 AM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Looking For Prather TONI 40 size Kit or Information

Lou,

The old F-1 class is gone, 10 years or so now. It was replaced by Q-40 which are actually a little faster. It was supposed to be less expensive and in the end it may be, engines last longer and 15% fuel is a lot cheaper. I think the airplanes fly better and are to me at least, easier to land being a pound lighter and only 50 sq. inches less wing area. Down side to getting a Q-40 airplane is expense. They are mostly all composite and I don't know of anything new under $500. Every now and then used Q-40s pop up, in the last few months I have seen more used for sale than any time I can remember. As far as old F-1 kits, they come up for sale on the auction sites from time to time and Prather Tonis usually go pretty high (175-300) but you may get lucky. There was a Mustang 450 for auction last time I looked, may not have closed yet. I have molds for the Toni and quite a few other old F-1s. I'm out of the country now but I can probably get you fuse and cores when I get home next (sometime this summer) if you don't mind cutting the wood parts yourself. PM me if you are interested. I have thought about offering them as kits in the future if there looks like there is interest. The problem I think with the old F-1s is they don't make very good sport fliers. You can put a sport engine in one (I think a Jett or Nelson Q-500 engine would fly pretty good). Once they get up to speed they fly well but with the thin wing they are always going to land fast unless you can keep the weight unrealistically low. Write if there is anything else you need. Just remembered, Kevin Matney has a Q-40 kit or 2 with glass fuse and foam wings if you don't mind building. His kits that I have seen had nice workmanship.
George T
Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually they can land fairly slow if you have an engine that is running, thus allowing you drag in the approach. A Toni with the old YS .45 and tuned pipe is a great sport combo, so I would imagine that one with a Sport Jett 50 would be about the same. Expect speeds in the 140-150 range.

Dead sticking one is a bit tougher on landings. But they slow down pretty quickly once you get them on the wheels with a bit of down elevator to lift the tail and create lots of drag from the wing.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 AM
djlyon

My Jack Stafford F2/FAI Mustang is just going into paint. It should make a nice fast sport flyer. I'm using a Rossi 53 5 port.

Denis
Old 03-19-2011, 06:31 AM
KEN 31

Hi Lou A good friend of mine has a Toni kit, I can contact him to see if he wants to sell it. I believe the wings have been sheeted. Also I know of another one that may be available and a Denight Special F1 is available too.
There is a Sattler Q40 Loki kit that is available too.
Lots of good stuff kicking around in this area.
Can you PM me so I can give you my email and phone number.

Ken Fluney
Orangeville, Ont.
Canada

Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 AM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I have a friend who has a Sig Mustang 450 still in the box if you want a copy of the plans let me know.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lou Zeman

I guess there is no class to fly these in anymore.
Lou,
You got that right. These things are gone the way of the dinosaur. Come on over to the new Electric Formula One class.
If you have a little spare time, see this link: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1178471]Electric Formula One[/link]
The cost of entry is VERY reasonable. The event is designed for the new guy, the old guy and the guy with limited funds. More thrills per dollar !

There is even a Little Toni kit currently offered by SuperTrc.com You'll have a lot more fun, and success, with an electric formula one than the old gasser formula one. Ken Fluney and other guys in Ontario are flying the E-F1 right now. Check it out.

Randy
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
mrjrkatz

I have a Prather Toni Kit. New in Box. It's your for $150.00
Regards, Jim Katz
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Lou Zeman

PM sent to Jim Katz.