Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Miss Ashley warped wing

Old 07-10-2021, 07:06 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Miss Ashley warped wing

Anyone ever straighten a warped wing? I have a miss Ashley that is at least 20 years old. I bought it from Andrew McIndoe a number of years ago and have flown it many times. It's been sitting in my trailer for the last 9 months. Today I went flying and what was once a dead true airplane now took full right aileron trim and half right aileron stick to fly level. A terrifying thing at full throttle...
upon landing I found the wing to be twisted about 3/16". Anyone ever straightened a composite wing before? I'd hate for the airframe to become useless but as it is it would require a ton of aileron trim to fly level and I'd rather straighten the wing if possible.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:11 PM
GREG DOE

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cut out 2 silhouettes of the airfoil, one for the root, and one for the tip. These are in inside patterns, that need to be quality 1/4"
or thicker plywood, and overall large enough to not split when pressure is applied. Mount the root template securely to your
work bench.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:39 PM
GREG DOE

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

(Computer glitch.) Cut out 2 silhouettes of the airfoil, one for the root, and one for the tip. These are in inside patterns, that need to be quality 1/4"
or thicker plywood, and overall large enough to not split when pressure is applied. Mount the root template securely to your work bench. Mount a
2 to 3 ft. arm to the tip rib. Slide the appropriate wing half into the root template, and position the tip rib template on the wing. Heat the wing panel
with a film heat gun, and twist the tip with the template. Twist as close to "zero" as possible, or a little past zero. Let it set for a day, and come back and check it to see if it "took". With wings that I suspect had a twist that was a result of (bad) original build, I prop up the "arm" in the twisted position for 24 hours. For composite wings that were built in a mold. once the wing has cooled down, I relieve the twisting pressure. If it springs back, twist it again and this time go past "zero". I've used this method on built-up, balsa skinned foam, and composite wings. If you are worried about scratching the wing, slides some pieces of poster paper between the airfoil silhouettes and the wing.