Who manufactures the kit?
What is the power system?
How fast is it going?

I WANT ONE[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-20-2006, 02:16 AM
jetdryvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Vendetta: video

Hey guys, I own the electric Vendetta. I figured I would post what a guy that I flew with today wrote about todays events.

Discussion - Neu powered Vendetta on Radar today...BIG numbers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
Erik the Vendetta guy is now the proud owner of a Prospeed radar gun. He came out to fly with me and Marcus today.

There was very little wind today. At times it was dead calm, just very cold!

With a 7x7 Aeronuat the Vendetta flew around in the low 170's with one long run and a slight dive bringing it up to 190 mph.

Erik then loaded the plane up with another set of batteries and switched to a 7.4 x 8 APC pylon prop. The acceleration was much faster and the plane did every pass at over 190. So, Erik went a long ways away and came back straight at us. I watched the radar gun pick up the plane at about 196 and it climbed all the way to 201 as he went over our heads.

201 mph. I was pretty surprised. That's darn fast.
The Neu motor was only 100 degrees when he got the wing off. Very good stuff and it just proves you get what you pay for.

The radar gun picked up our planes very well and plenty far away. My Cyclone stalls at about 18mph and will climb verticly (right from launch) at 54mph and hold until you can't see it. My Swift heli turned in a dissapointing top speed of 62mph. I think it needs a ducted fan between the skids.

Steve C

If anyone wants to know about the plane I can give info. Otherwise I'll just leave it at that because it technically is not QM-40. Thanks for the clean airplane though guys. Erik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12443.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	411770  
Old 02-20-2006, 08:30 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Lyle Larson sells the Vendetta, his website can be found with a search for California Speed Pros.

It even looks like one of Lyles paint jobs.

My Avatar is the same plane with a Nelson .40.

The electric is pretty cool though, nice job.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Erik,
I am experimenting with a few QM 15 planes that are converted to electric.
However, I would like to step up to a QM 40
My question is:
What motor, speed contol and battery pack are being used in the Vendetta.
Your plane is truely beyond impressive!
Doug
Old 02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
jetdryvr

Yes Dave, It is Lyle Larsons Vendetta, It's his paint job also. As you know they can be quite nice paint jobs.
Because I was asked This plane is tough to convert because the radio has to go in the "trunk" to make room for the batteries. Photo attached.

Specs:
Motor: Neu 15/15/2y
Speed Control: Hacker 135-O-F5B
This was only the 2nd prop I've tried. It was a 7.4 X 8 APC Carbon racing.
Batteries: Three EVO 3700's. IE: 9s1P. This is definitely enough duration. The most I've replaced of 3700mah was 2200mah after flying for 7 minutes. Full throttle about 70% of the time. Usually I back it off on downwind then come by us full-on.
JR 770 receiver.
And a STRONG/AND FAST Servo on the elevator. It is tough to move the elevator very far and I only have one elevator servo on there (unlike my others) so I didn't skimp.
Oh yea...I'm running a 5-cell receiver pack. I love how fast the servos are on 5-cells.
I mounted a small tail wheel so i can taxi around. Hey you QM-40 guys could answer a question for me. I am flying this thing heavier than you all and it wants to go forever on landing. About 3/4 of the landings the plane noses over onto my teflon nose scoop. At first I was irritated, but now I realize it's perfect. It's like having brakes. I just add a new little piece of plastic to the nose scoop every once in a while. So again, my question is : Is this normal for the plane to nose over on landing? Thanks Doug!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98979.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	412148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97776.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	412149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77719.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	412150  
Old 02-20-2006, 06:43 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not, the way to land one of these without the long rollout due to the high speed, is to get it on the wheels, then give down elevator to lift the tail as it is rolling. This causes the wing to act like an big airbrake. After you burn off 80% of the speed, go back to up elevator to keep if off the nose.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
daven

Landing a Q40 takes a while to get use to. I almost gave them up a few years ago because I struggled landing them between the beans at our grassfield. It really sucks dissasembling one every time since you can't close a venturi if it goes into the dirt. Once you get the glide pattern down, you can slow them up quite a bit with minimal roll out. I've seen people nose them down and grind the mufflers on the pavement to slow them down, but thats real rough on not only the muffler bolts (they will eventually break), but also the firewall. A little rudder back and forth on approach helps slow them down if your overshooting the runway. The best solution is to just learn the glide and go out far enough, a stiff wind actually helps a lot.

What does that thing weigh? Were right around 4 lbs with ours, I'm amazed you can get that to balance with all that crap behind the wing

Nice job.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:31 PM
daven

I just saw on the RcGroups thread that you are coming in at roughly 5 lbs 13 oz. Wow, now I know why you are coming in so fast, not sure I would try to slow it down like I would with a slimer on the nose at 4 lbs.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:54 PM
jetdryvr

Actually, the "best" landings (or at least most ideal shorter landing rolls) were accomplished when the plane did its own nose over. I checked the wheels and they actually were a little bit grippy to the flat part of the landing gear. As ugly as spectators may think it is, I think (with this weight) I will be forced to do the nose over. Again it is not a big deal at all because of the nose scoop. It hasn't put a scratch on the plane thankfully. Thanks a lot for the info guys. Erik
Old 02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
FredH

The picture appears to show two battery packs installed, how in the heck did you get three of those in there?

Fantastic Job!

Fred
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 PM
jetdryvr

Fred, You are right. The two in front are taped together and fit snugly (barely) in there. I even had to sand the wing bolt plates on the inside to get them in. If phoenix were a little closer to Sacramento I would have driven to the QM40 races this weekend and demo'ed the plane. I think those guys would have found it interesting, especially because it does do 190 mph straight and level. Thanks, Erik.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:54 PM
splatt

So , have you had a chance to bank and yank it around yet ?

How hot are the batteies coming out?

any idea on the amperage?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 AM
jetdryvr

Yes, I have done some pylon type turns with it but I have not really done a no kidding go into 85 deg of bank and pull hard turn. This plane weighs more than standard Q40. I had a way stronger wing built with lots of Carbon etc but the new wing is not painted or ailerons cut yet so I am trying to be somewhat nice to the wing I'm flying. The system with the 7 X 7 prop did mid-170's not diving (192 slight decent) and the batteries are no-kidding lukewarm. I can fly it for 6-8 minutes like that with full throttle 70% of the time. I did replace the prop with a 7.4 X 8 racing prop. It did 190 passes (not diving) and 201 in a slight descent. I only did about 6-8 passes with the new prop and landed. Batteries--lukewarm, motor-106 deg. Maybe I'm answering this too wordy. Honestly--I do not think that I could run the hell out of it with the race prop. Too many amps, probably over 100 at ~30 volts. I think something would "give", probably the batteries. So, if I'm going for the radar gun test....7.4 X 8 prop. Otherwise I'll just use the 7 X 7 and be nice to it. There are newer/better batteries coming out soon so I'll push it with those. Thanks, Erik.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:52 AM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive technology. Do you need the 3700 mAh size to achieve the current draw at WOT, or is your pack sized for time? You would only need about 90 seconds to fly a typical race and set up for landing.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 AM
jetdryvr

The answer is yes, and yes. These batteries are the leading edge right now at 30C continuous. I am pushing it with my "speed prop" and in fact would probably hurt them if I kept it WOT. So yes, I need that much battery to get the power for the performance I want. At the same time, I flew for 6 min and 44 seconds on the flight of the video that is posted and used slightly over half of the batteries capacity. I have flown for 5 min or so and then relaxed for 15 minutes then flown with the same batteries again without recharge. My 7 X 7 prop resulted in ~180-184mph passes (with prospeed radar gun) and I could keep that WOT easily for 90 seconds and then some.

I started a thread in RCGroups under high performance about new batteries coming out that will permit me to go even lighter at the same power levels permitting full QM40 turns.
Thanks, Erik