Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Great Planes Viper 500 Arf

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:20 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Viper 500 Arf

I came across a link for a new Quickee Arf today. At first I thought this was the same old tired Viper Arc that was out a few years ago, but after looking at the tower site, this is not the case.

It says it has a bolt on tail, and carbon fiber reinforcement in the wing. A couple nice features compared to the Predator for about the same price.

Someone has to get one of these, and give us an update. It appears to only come in white, but a little Green Trim, and I'll be all set.

Heres the link:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEUN3&P=7
Old 07-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Per_N

Default Dave

Hi Dave
Bye one and let us know.

Do you have any idea what the airfoil "Selig" is?

They don't say anything about reinforcement of the fuselage and the tail. With a Nelson I think this soon will come apart.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Great News ... Thanks Dave.

Over the last few days, I was thinking about making a jig for mounting Predator tails ... Now there's no need.

I especially like the "Foam core with carbon fiber reinforcement, balsa sheeting applied with epoxy for added security and stiffness, recessed wing hold down bolts to minimize drag".
Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Noting the availability date of late september, I'd guess we might see one available by february! Typical of Tower/GP
basmntdweller
Old 07-29-2003, 01:53 AM
daven

I just think its a great thing for racing to have another available Arf quickee.

This past Saturday, we had our annual "Big" race, and had a record turnout of 28 racers. I believe many of the newer racers wouldn't have been there, had it not been for the Predator.

It will be interesting to see if this is truely 428 ready without major mods... That would be very helpful to our local 428 turnout.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:28 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will even come with a guaranty, oops I mean a warranty,,, Nice!

Those old Vipers were a lot of fun too. I hope they do well!!!

BV
Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 PM
garys

I had the oportunity to see a prototype of the new arf a while back. The wing and fuse are more than strong enough for 428 as they come. The fuse is built with 3/16 balsa sides with 1/32 ply doublers in the nose. The tail bolts on much like the Neme-Q, but has exposed pushrods. Definately a step above the Predator...
GS
Old 07-29-2003, 05:08 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The site shows these will also come in RED.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
daven

I think I need to lobby for Green.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:59 PM
seafury-RCU

Default Viper versus Predator

I was just about to order the Predator when I noticed the Viper on the GP website. It looks like its got some nice features (ie. comes with engine mount and carbon enforced wings).

Has anyone had experience with this plane? How does it come to the Predator?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:53 PM
CubClipper

I just ordered a Red GP Viper from Tower Hobbies. They just got a few in. I am going to put either a Rossi 45 or a OS46FX or a YS45 on it. I was wondering if CA hinges will be enough for this plane. I estimate it will fly well over 100MPH. Do you all think CA hinges are good enough.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:12 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Thanks for the info about availability ... I just ordered a white one.

For the engines you mentioned, the CA hinges are probably fine, but I will seal my hinge lines with strips of MonoKote. Mainly to reduce the possibility of flutter. And I may use gap sealing tape to further streamline the hinge lines.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:56 AM
IRLJR
My Feedback: (37)

Please post impressions when you receive your kits.
Thanks
IRL
Old 09-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Larry F

Default Viper 500 Arf - got 2 : (

Hello,
I saw this thread and figure I will let you know what Danny and I thought of ours that we picked up the other day. I would say the overall quality is better than the Predators we have, but the two that we got wiegh 3 oz different and my wing is over a 1/32 thicker than Danny's. Maybe that is not a big deal for a sport Q-600, but it made me think about the quality control a bit. I also am not to sure on that tail setup. We are both going to glue them on.
Everything elso looks good, we are going to fly Danny's in the morning. I am a day behind I wanted to use my full firewall mount that just came from LCS Performance today. Nice mount and a great price.
After we fly it I will give you a full report. We are going to fly it first with a TT-40 Pro on a 9-6

Larry
Old 09-04-2003, 01:44 AM
MDP

I just got a new Viper from Tower Hobbies in today, and all I can say is...NICE !... The wing & holdowns will take any 428 abuse. The wing has a total of four layers of glass cloth, and internal carbon fiber reinforcing, has a Chromed aluminum universal backplate engine mount, painted landing gear, with improved pizza cutter wheels, with recessed landing gear feature, brass on brass recessed axels, the best wing tips I have seen yet (solid), bolt on stab, wing bolts have steel threads in hold downs, and much more. It should weigh in at 3 1/2 pounds dry. The airfoil is a Michael Selig design, made especially for Q-500's and the speeds they go, but it is hard to identify. The airfoil of the wing, is highly reflexed, about a 40% high point, but semi symetrical, and looks good for tight turns, and landings. There is nothing to do, but hinge, and install radio. It is covered in either white, or red Monokote. You shoud be able to come home from work, eat dinner, and have it done early evening, ready to fly in the AM.....Check it out.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Mike,

I hope mine comes in tomorrow.

Have you checked to see how the bladder tanks fit?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:59 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

I just checked the shiipping status on mine, and it will be here tomorrow.

And we have a nice weekend coming up.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:50 AM
MDP

A slim Jett tank might fit through the hole without any grinding, but they want their tank in the nose, and I would put it on CG.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:07 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

The Slim JETT will not fit as is. With some major grinding, it might.

But the better fitting tank is the JETT CG tank. Just a little grinding and it will be centered on the CG.

My wing weighs 17.5 ounces without the servo. I haven't checked the servo bay to see if I can fit dual servos yet (I use dual servos for ailerons on all planes).

The fuselage is heavier than the Predator, but it has glass on the outside to beyond the leading edge. Plus the tank compartment has triangle stock in places, and a significant amount of FG.

My wing looks very straight. It does have a pre-shipping ding in it, on top, of course,

The tail is a little flexible at the front of the stab saddle, so I may glue the tail in.

BTW, the original manual showed threaded inserts for the wing hold downs. The TI haters will be glad to know that they switched to T-nuts.

The wing hold down plates are captured by the plywood side doublers.

It does look like it can handle 428 engines with no problem. :sunsmiley
Old 09-04-2003, 08:22 PM
bryantbj-RCU

MIKE & DON: DOES THE TAIL END HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR BALL
JOINTS OR DO YOU HAVE TO GO EXTERNAL ON PUSH RODS?

BRYANT
Old 09-04-2003, 10:51 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

I can't see any reasonable way to do internal linkages on the tail. The tail mounting nuts are in the bottom of the V, and I think you would have to do a lot of grinding out (and destruction) to get enough space.

Regarding the bladder tank fit: I don't have any Tettra tanks, but they may work better if there is enough room vertically. Can someone measure one and let me know the dimensions?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:53 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have a bubbleless but it's not labeled to be a tettra. It is 5" long 1.75" wide and 2" tall. Actually it's a touch smaller than that in each direction. It is labeled as 150cc/5.5 oz. I looked at a Viper at the LHS and I thought it would fit fairly well with the neck of the tank sticking through the front former keeping it fairly close to the CG.
I noticed it had tee nuts for the front wing hold down. Are they using steel screws or nylon?
The one I looked at at the LHS will be mine if I have any money left after vacation next week

Later,,,basmntdweller