Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Price gouging

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Thunder Tiger Price gouging

Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Price gouging

Just so you guys are aware, Omnimodels is also owned by Hobbico.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So change the freakin' rules to a .46 size engine and keep the price limit the same. Then start buying Sanye unmarked .46 size engines. That might stop some genius from trying to wrap up US distribution of Sanye engines and selling them at a higher price.

I don't buy much from Tower these days. I stopped buying from them because they don't carry the brand names that I like. That and I don't care for their pricing philosophy. For years they charged more for an OS .32xx than they did for the OS .46xx. That was barely tolerable. Then they raised the price of their OS 5-cylinder radial by $500 just when I was going to buy one. Same engine - $500 more. Those poor saps act as though they are the only game in town. WRONG!

Ed Cregger
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

This deal with Hobbico is all going to work out, guys:

http://www.ttamerica.com/index.html

Hobbico is already working up a brand new Thunder Tiger website, that link above is already up at http://www.bestrc.com right now.

Hobbico looks like they're going to treat Thunder Tiger just like O.S. Max, Futaba, DLE, and a few of their other most-favored brands that they don't actually own outright.

You can complain about the pricing right now if you want, but I'd bet a whole six-pack of Coke Zero that it's either a database SNAFU due to all of the website changes, or they're simply trying to temporarily slow the outflow of product for some accounting reason while the deal gets worked out. Hobbico might be getting inventory credits for every engine they still have in stock at the end of September or something, so they don't want to dump engines and miss out on cash from Thunder Tiger or something. Who knows?

If Thunder Tiger engine pricing isn't back in line within a few weeks, we'll all know I was wrong. On the other hand, maybe Ace Hobby was trying to dump product at/near cost to try to keep their own operation going here in North America. Tower might simply be adjusting prices to what they ought to be, while keeping in mind that they offer a flat 20% discount to Super Saver Club members all year long. That puts the Pro .40 at $112.00 instead of $139.99, and if my choices are the TT Pro .40 for $112 or paying $99.99 for the Evolution .40NT, I'll take the Thunder Tiger every time.

Hobbico didn't make this deal to give away the product, but they're putting way too much work in to simply take Thunder Tiger products off the shelves. I keep seeing signs that this is going to be a really good deal for all of us, just be a little patient.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 PM
opwan

Yea the price of gasoline is gonna come down too!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

I agree, the whole TT issue is a bad deal. I was an ACE Hobby dealer and they e-mailed me at the same time they shut off their phones!!

Anyway, I've got a few Thunder Tiger engines left in stock. I'm not raising my pricing. Everything I have in stock is on the web site. However, I only have one or two of each engine. Was actually going to order some when the e-mail showed up.

These engines are available on a first come first serve basis. Credit cards do not get processed until the order is shipped and I'll e-mail if your order as to the status of your order.

Ron
Precision Aero
www.precision-aero.com
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
brenthampton79

I agree with big, people are getting bent out of shape to soon relax and see what happens here in a couple of weeks. plus like big says if you are a member of their super saver club you practically get a 20% discount which almost gets you down to what others were selling them at anyway. also you know the best advice i got from a fellow business owner the other day and I qoute "I can stay at home and break even" If they can't make a profit on the item then they shouldn't even carry it and then we all might not even get to buy the items at all better to have some than none you know.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM
SMOKEFAN

Im pretty sure Ace has been profitable over the years.......why else would Tower purchase them??

In my Professional business opinion it makes better sense to not even post a price for the 2 weeks ( If thats whats going on ) Rather then post a price WAY out of the ballpark and push people another direction or to another supplier.

150.00 - 20% is not even close to the 100.00 shipped I just paid to get it to my door. Not to mention the cost of the super saver BS, in the end your still paying 140.00 bux for it if you factor in the SS program which is bogus.

I do hope the price comes down and we are luck enough to see it on easy pay to.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe we should be sending complaints to the federal Consumer Protection Agency it couldn't hurt. Tower might enjoy a federal investigation.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Looked at tower's site today - it's still 139+, and now it's listed as "limited quantities".

Wonder if they're going to discontinue it in favor of the 46? Face it, the guys that race are a drop in the bucket compared to the number of sport fliers. They're going to carry what sells in volume...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

Im pretty sure Ace has been profitable over the years.......why else would Tower purchase them??

In my Professional business opinion it makes better sense to not even post a price for the 2 weeks ( If thats whats going on ) Rather then post a price WAY out of the ballpark and push people another direction or to another supplier.

150.00 - 20% is not even close to the 100.00 shipped I just paid to get it to my door. Not to mention the cost of the super saver BS, in the end your still paying 140.00 bux for it if you factor in the SS program which is bogus.

I do hope the price comes down and we are luck enough to see it on easy pay to.
Tower/Hobbico didn't purchase Ace Hobby, Thunder Tiger owned Ace Hobby and closed them down because Thunder Tiger can make more money letting Hobbico distribute for them rather than running Ace Hobby as their own distributor.

Temporarily jacking up the prices has all of you scrambling to buy engines from Ace's resellers that have inventory in stock. Perhaps this was intentional, so folks who won't be reselling Thunder Tiger in the future won't get stuck with inventory.

If Hobbico does have to raise street prices because Ace had been dumping product simply to keep it moving, the $119.99 price you'll be seeing next month for the Pro .46 will look a lot better after seeing $149.99 up on the web site for a little while. We just have to wait and see where Tower decides to set pricing once the big move is complete

If you didn't like Tower Hobbies before, you probably won't like Tower Hobbies in the future, either. You can call the Super Saver Club "BS" if you want to, the fact remains that joining it is the quickest way to save money if you frequently purchase hobby items. I combine orders with my friends so we always get the maximum discounts and free shipping. Tower is always well stocked, their website is very accurate, and they almost never mess up an order. I like shopping with them.

One of the largest RC product manufacturers on Earth is signing a huge new distribution deal with another one of largest RC products manufacturers on Earth. This deal is going to have a significant impact on how RC hobby products are distributed throughout most of the Western Hemisphere. It's a big, scary change. The only folks who like change are babies with wet diapers, and even they still cry about it.

Hobbico partnering with Thunder Tiger is going to make both companies stronger.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
SMOKEFAN

Im sure Im not the only one that will jump ship to O/s for the 4.00 difference in price to get o/s. Im not seeing a 30.00 difference from the price I just purchased at though. Im I the only 1 that think the AX line of engines is Butt ugly. I wish o/s would put the effort they put into there Heli and car engine styling into the airplane styles. My .46 AX is gutless compared to the TT also. would probably have to jump to a .55 to get comparable power

Big, I understand how Tower works, Being into Heli and air and having 2 revo 3.3 I have spent nearly 3000.00 at tower within the last year. I get 10.00 to50.00 off offers everyweek. I sure the hell wont pay for discounts with the money I spend. I was excited to see tower get TT, but Im not that excited now. I would have purchased the pro .46 reguadless yesterday as Im building a new profile, but not at that price.

I do hope the price comes down and I can stick with TT. They are evey bit as good as o/s and the value is great.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Must be democrats!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Scorpion Racing

OS vs. Thunder Tiger is not the issue for me, it is the fact that AMA 424 racing you have to use the Thunder Tiger engine. The OS is gutless compared to the TT, and the OS doesn't hold up nearly as well either. The OS engine has always been overpriced, and I am sure that is part of the reason (among others) for it not being the choice for 424 racing. 424 is an entry class that needs to provide an economical entry point for beginners. Tower Hobbies trying to inflate the price of the Thunder Tiger above the AMA pylon racing rules street price of $120.00 (AMA Pylon Racing 16.3.6&7a) is just their way of trying to force their crappy OS engines on us (IMHO). I have raced local events with the OS, and can tell you first hand they do not perform nor hold up as well as the Thunder Tiger engine does.

Does this mean we change the AMA racing rules because Tower got greedy? HELL NO. Up until last week, the TT PRO40 ABC was $75~$80 a copy. I doubt that manufacturing costs doubled in that time frame. If Tower won't go back to a reasonable price, I feel we go to a new engine that Tower does not carry. I encourage everyone to write Tower and voice your opinion. I am sure if we don't respond to them, they have no reason to respond to us either.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
rcflyr56

Reply from Tower:

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies. We received a price increase from the manufacturer on the ThunderTiger engines. We entered the formula to adjust the retail pricing accordingly. We have since received several inquiries (your included) that made us look at the prices again and the formula is being adjusted as we speak. Please watch our web site today and you should see the prices on most ThunderTiger engines adjust accordingly. We apologize for this occurrence. We regret that we may have lost any sales because these prices were not adjusted properly.

We appreciate your interest in buying from Tower Hobbies and hope to be your one-source hobby supplier.

Also:
TTPro .40 is now $99.99
TTPro .46 is now $119.99
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
wyo69cowboy

Interesting....yesterday the Pro 36 was $139.99 and today it's $94.99. Still $10 more than it was a few days ago...
I wasn't planning on buying the engine right away, but went ahead and ordered it from Graves R/C. I was really irritated that Tower immediately jumped prices; reminds me of our gasoline prices: barrel of oil goes up a few dollars, and the pump price immediately skyrockets, but it sure takes more time for it to come back down.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
SMOKEFAN

I dont race Im more into 3D, but Well said Scorpian.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
SMOKEFAN

I just looked myself. the pro .40 is now 99.00 and the .46 is 119.99. Thats still 20.00 over what i paid shipped for my pro 46. Can pickup an o/s for 124.00. Luckily with discounts that will get the price down closer to 110.00. 89.00 sure seems better to me though
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Scorpion Racing

I tried the OS 46 and the TT 46 on my burrito profile plane, and I can say the TT was a much better choice to me. Better transition and could swing a bigger prop. I will stick to the TT engines, and I am glad Tower got enough "fan mail" that they re-thought there decision.

Back to flying!!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
SMOKEFAN

I still dont understand why 119.99 and 99.00 for the .40. Im sure they had to go 99.99 on the pro .40 but that should put the pro 46 at 109.99. That only makes sense

Yes the TT is a great choice for a prife and I do like the transistion compared to the o/s
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing

OS vs. Thunder Tiger is not the issue for me, it is the fact that AMA 424 racing you have to use the Thunder Tiger engine. The OS is gutless compared to the TT, and the OS doesn't hold up nearly as well either. The OS engine has always been overpriced, and I am sure that is part of the reason (among others) for it not being the choice for 424 racing. 424 is an entry class that needs to provide an economical entry point for beginners. Tower Hobbies trying to inflate the price of the Thunder Tiger above the AMA pylon racing rules street price of $120.00 (AMA Pylon Racing 16.3.6&7a) is just their way of trying to force their crappy OS engines on us (IMHO). I have raced local events with the OS, and can tell you first hand they do not perform nor hold up as well as the Thunder Tiger engine does.

Does this mean we change the AMA racing rules because Tower got greedy? HELL NO. Up until last week, the TT PRO40 ABC was $75~$80 a copy. I doubt that manufacturing costs doubled in that time frame. If Tower won't go back to a reasonable price, I feel we go to a new engine that Tower does not carry. I encourage everyone to write Tower and voice your opinion. I am sure if we don't respond to them, they have no reason to respond to us either.

O.S. doesn't currently offer any engines in the .40 cu in size. They make the .35 AX, the .46 AX and the .46 LA engines. Hobbico was looking for a helicopter brand when this deal got put together; cornering the market on AMA 424 racing engines was probably a couple of bullet points further down the list.

Tower's reply seems to indicate that Ace Hobby and/or a few of their online retailers were selling engines at or near cost. It's possible that, with the U.S. dollar falling against Asian currencies, Ace Hobby hadn't bothered to adjust their wholesale pricing in recent years and Ace was losing money on every engine they sold. That would sure indicate why closing them and switching distribution channels made sense. Nobody else thought it was peculiar that the Taiwanese Pro .46 was available for $85 ~ $95 while Horizon Hobby was trying to get $119.99 from the Chinese-manufactured Evolution .46NX?

If you're still pissed off about Hobbico's pricing on the TT Pro .40 at the end of the month, then check out the superb JBA .39 2-stroke available from www.kangkeusa.com for $69.99. It would be a great entry level engine for Club 40, and should qualify for the "local rules" clause for AMA 424. It was $59.99 a month ago, but Kangke USA had to raise the prices on all of their engines a month or two ago.

Actually, Kangke USA has raised prices on SK and JBA engines recently. Hobbico has raised prices on Super Tigre, GMS, and O.S. Max. Horizon Hobby has raised prices on Evolution and Saito glow engines. Only Ace Hobby hadn't raised glow engine prices at all in the last twelve to eighteen months. I hate to kill a good conspiracy theory, but it seems pretty obvious why Thunder Tiger closed Ace Hobby and Hobbico has to rachet up prices a bit; it's tough to make money when you lose money on every engine you sell but you try to make up for it with volume.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Scorpion Racing

BigEd

True on the OS 40 not being in production. The OS was the OS40FX from 2005, the time I started 424 racing. I had the OS40FX's for racing in a monthly racing class in Sarasota, Fl. and the TT PRO40ABC's for the AMA SEMPRA division. As far as other engines available, you are very correct as the TT is not the only game in town. However, it is the best bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
wyo69cowboy

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I hate to kill a good conspiracy theory, but it seems pretty obvious why Thunder Tiger closed Ace Hobby and Hobbico has to rachet up prices a bit; it's tough to make money when you lose money on every engine you sell but you try to make up for it with volume.
I don't know about a consipiracy theory, but I for one am glad these and other threads and emails to Tower have gotten their attention! I would agree that perhaps the pricing was artificially low, but it was sure funny it went artificially high until several people squawked. Hopefully, Hobbico/Tower won't keep messing with the prices and kill a good brand of engine to boost sales of their "flagship" lines...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
SMOKEFAN

Did anyone send them a link to this thread. I think it's important for them to realize TT actually has a good following. One big benefit to tower having this line is they will have everything needed to rebuild and all of the parts instock. I have 1 pro 46 with over 200 flights on it and it still runs good. I usually pull my engines down after 50 or so flights and look things over and reseal them.

I'd give anything to still be able to purchase racers choiceairseal. That stuff was awesome
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...uretor-Sealant

Looks like you can still buy the airseal.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
SMOKEFAN

Yes thats the racers Edge not racers choice. The racers Edge product doesnt hold a candle to the Racers Choice product. Thats basically RTV the racers choice product was much thinner and WAY easier to apply. You would never have to touch the product with the bottle it came in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.