Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

What makes these pylon plane so fast!?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

What makes these pylon plane so fast!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes these pylon plane so fast!?

Last weekend I saw a pylon competiton at Van Nuys, CA. These pylon planes were just flying down the course! They were turing so sharp, at such high speeds.... I was amazed they didn't break. What makes these pylon planes reach such fast speeds? I was amazed by how fast some of the low winged pylon planes went. They were also very loud!

Thanks - Brian
Old 04-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fast planes"

Brian;
Sounds as if you were watching QM40's. These planes weigh 4-6 Lbs. Most people try to keep them around the 4lb range. The engine are turning over 25K. That equates to an approx 2-1 ratio Plus. The aircraft is mostly carbon composites very strong and these planes turn over 26g' on Pylon 1. Atleast that was what we were told in the Formula 1 days. Now I'd assume they are hitting even a greater amount of G Force.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:30 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

The low winged planes are known as Q40's (aka Quater 40's, QM-40, Quarter Midget 40) and hit speeds in the 180 mph range.

The engines on them are .40 sized but put out close to 3 hp. They are so loud partially because of the sonic booms generated by the engines turning 7-8 inch diameter props at 23,000-27,000 rpm's.

The relatively new high strength materials like carbon fiber and carbon fiber-Kevlar blends have made it possible to create planes that can handle the speeds and stress.

You have to work your way up to the really fast planes. You probably saw some V-tailed planes going about 120 mph. These were Quickie 500 Sport planes. They also use .40 sized engines and have 500 square inch constant chord wings. They are a very good place to start. Lanier RC has an ARF called the Predator 500, and you probably saw some these. They have a list price of #129.95 and the engines used in the APRA class (am AMA legal variant of Q-500 Sport) that was run there were probably mostly Thunder Tiger Pro 40 engines that cost around $70. So you can get started for about the same price as flying a sport plane.

The faster planes and engines cost a bit more. An all molded Q40 can cost $600 for the airframe and $375+ for the engine. But you can also build your own competitive airframes for less than $200.

See PylonWorld.com for more info, and feel free to ask questions.

Make sure you set your forum view to the beginning so you can see some of the topics that have already been discussed here, and browse them for some informative reading.

Welcome to Pylon Racing
Old 04-09-2002, 01:19 PM
Ed Smith

I have said this before and I must add it to the previous posts. Before we convince a potential newcomer that only molded wings will stand up to the stresses of Pylon Racing.

Molded wings do not address a strength or speed issue. If you do not have the time to build your own aircraft then you buy from somebody else. The quickest way to produce wings is to mold them, as is done with the fuselages. That is of course after a large investment in wing molds.

I build my own aircraft. I can build a foam core/balsa skinned wing just as light, as strong and true as a molded wing. No more, no less.

Ed S
Old 05-04-2002, 07:24 AM
SSAN

Default Re: What makes these pylon plane so fast!?

Originally posted by Someone11
Last weekend I saw a pylon competiton at Van Nuys, CA. These pylon planes were just flying down the course! They were turing so sharp, at such high speeds.... I was amazed they didn't break. What makes these pylon planes reach such fast speeds? I was amazed by how fast some of the low winged pylon planes went. They were also very loud!

Thanks - Brian
Brian,

Welcome to the world of High Speed and High G's R/C Model Airplane. What you saw was exactly as Don Stegall (PylonWorld) has stated. These planes are very fast indeed, and does take a lot of skills and experience to fly them (especially around the course set up).

As you saw it. The low wing was a Quarter Midget 40, and the high wing, boxy looking fuselage was a Quickie 500. Both use .40 size engine, but are different in class of racing and different speed level.

Hope you enjoyed the show when you were there. As a matter of facts, I was there racing that weekend and you probably also saw a Red Quickie 500 with TOYOTA logo under side of the wing when I flew around the race course.

Sam S.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Re: What makes these pylon plane so fast!?

Originally posted by SSAN

Brian,

Welcome to the world of High Speed and High G's R/C Model Airplane. What you saw was exactly as Don Stegall (PylonWorld) has stated. These planes are very fast indeed, and does take a lot of skills and experience to fly them (especially around the course set up).

As you saw it. The low wing was a Quarter Midget 40, and the high wing, boxy looking fuselage was a Quickie 500. Both use .40 size engine, but are different in class of racing and different speed level.

Hope you enjoyed the show when you were there. As a matter of facts, I was there racing that weekend and you probably also saw a Red Quickie 500 with TOYOTA logo under side of the wing when I flew around the race course.

Sam S.
I wasn't there the whole time though I had to go every now in then to check in.... my dad was at the swapmeet across the road. I don't remember your plane though....... I just remember the sounds!!!!!!! I don't think I'm going to get into pylons any time soon. I need to first master the flight of my LT-40 trainer

What a small world huh???

-Brian