Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Super Tiger 500 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 08:27 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tiger 500 Engine

I was given a Viper Q 500 Plane with a Super Tiger 500 engine. Any one familiar with this engine? Lots of full throttle power but I cant seem to get the transition right and it does not idle at all below 40% throttle setting. I was using 10% nitro and 10x6 prop just to get a feel for the plane and engine. I was wondering whether this is typical for this genre of engines. Recommendations needed on suitable plugs, prop and nitro content . Tks
Old 04-11-2002, 10:21 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

I'm sure someone will come along to help soon.

I've heard that ST made a Q-500 engine in the 80's or 90's, but I've never read much about it.

If it is the Q-500 engine it may have an air bleed carb on it. Later engines like the Jett and Nelson have an airvalve carb whose only job is to shut off the air and stop the engine. Because it's hard to get a Quickie slowed down while the engine is running, they are shut down, and landed dead stick.

I'm not sure if anything over 15% has been legal for Q-500 for a long time.

You can get more speed by changing to a smaller diameter, higher pitched prop. The APC 8.75 x 7 (or higher) Quickie props are probably the ticket. Go to Landing Products to see the racing props offered.

Like I said, someone will come along soon and give you some experienced advice.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:03 PM
sgilkey
My Feedback: (180)

if i remember correctly the ST G500 engine had a chopped off spray bar to reduce intake restriction- this also eliminates the low-speed needle function. thus the "carb" acts only as an air valve as on the Nelson, and the engine cannot be throttled. a stock ST carb could be dropped in, to enable the engine to be throttled. also, the engine had a tuned muffler, a 10x6 prop may be too much load to get that engine on the pipe. try an APC 8.5x7 or so, or for 428 an apc 8.75 diameter prop, pick a pitch to get your static rpm at least 16.5-17k