Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Simulation Pylon Course for RealFlight

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Simulation Pylon Course for RealFlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulation Pylon Course for RealFlight

I just uploaded a couple of simplified AMA short and long 3-pole course "airports" for the RealFlight simulator. I've tried to duplicate the positions of the pylons, launch point and pilot positions so that it is possible to practice a bit without going to the field.

If you use the Viper model from "AddOn's #5" (a free download for v4.0 and later) http://www.realflight.com/addons.html you can get a fairly reasonable simulation of flying the course. The files are located on the KnifeEdge swap pages for RealFlight v5.5

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...?do=cat&id=353

This is my first attempt as such things so the airports are very simple, but hopefully they will be useful for your practice
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM
BUDMAN27

Default RE: Simulation Pylon Course for RealFlight

Thanks I was hopeing someone would do this some day. That day is today yae
Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
BUDMAN27

how do I get this downlaod from my documents to RF 5.5 ?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN27

how do I get this downlaod from my documents to RF 5.5 ?
Start RealFlight:
Then: Simulation>Import>RealFlight Archive(RFX,3GX)... In the popup window, navigate to your documents/download folder where the file was saved /downloaded, Select the File and click "Open". That SHOULD load the airport into your custom airports folder allowing you to select it like any other airport. This thing is really stripped down, just the very basics. I figure you don't need any distractions when practicing or any additional graphics to slow down your computer.

Now if the folks at KnifeEdge would only figure out some way that we can have a race, 4 guys at a time, and have some way to count cuts. That would be cool.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Alabama Racer

Realflight G2 has a 3 pole pylon simulation. It counts laps, cuts, and you can race with other folks.
I guess it was not too popular an option as it was dropped in later Realflight versions.
One can adjust the length of the course, set the number of laps you want to race ....
brad
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM
GSJames

I wish they had kept that feature.

(edit) I just checked, it was still available in v3.5 as an "event" but the length of the course baseline was limited to 250' and the pilot spawn position was not correct for the way that a 3-pole course is flown. This is an example of why developers/designers in ANY field should always be in tune with the end user of the product. It happens in full-size airplanes too. Sometime, I'll tell you about the cockpit mechanization of the F-16C (Block 30) and what happened when it finally got into flight test at Edwards...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 AM
BUDMAN27

Got it. WOW I cut out the first 10 laps. After a while I cought on and started doing better. Thanks again I like this better , not all the fansy stuff to disstrac you , just good old fast laps.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I use the F5D for practice, keeps me on my toes, but I only have the Basic version now, so I can't do much.

Stegal had a nice pylon course set up for G2, I don't have it any more. He did some custom paint jobs as well for the planes so they would match my real ones.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 AM
GSJames

removed by poster
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM
GSJames

I modified the stock RealFlight Waco photofield to create both an AMA long course and short course. The simulation includes an asphalt runway, either a 508' or 375.5' baseline, start/finish line 100' ahead of pylons 2 and 3, and a pilot position aft of the start line. I believe that this accurately corresponds to the current rulebook. Although it takes a little more video processing power, this scene gives you more background reference to work with. They are posted here: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...?do=cat&id=353 They should work for RF v 4 and higher. Have fun.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 PM
PylonDave

I have a Q40 endeavor that AJ Seaholm sent me. If anyone wants it i can email it to them.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.nmpra.org/articles/AStechniques.htm

RealFlight G4.5 Pylon Files
http://www.nmpra.org/articles/G45%20...20Endeavor.zip
Download >> Unzip >> Import Field and Model into Realflight

Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
BloomAce
My Feedback: (2)

I use aerofly deluxe. It has a very good feel and I can you my transmitter and a USB cable. You can select your airfoil and setup on your plane and speed of the engine.
It really helps me to get my lines down and get the feel as if I was at the field.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
RunEmFast

I am using the viper from add on 5 on realflight 6.5. When you go around pylons 2 and 3 the viper wants to pitch down.
When I am actually racing I tape a quarter to the top wing tip, and this causes the racer to no longer pitch down. How do I accomplish this using the realflight simulator? There has to be a setting to change this...

Thanks,

Keith
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Alabama Racer

you might add a couple of clicks of "top" rudder (to the right, since making left turns).
Also, maybe roll to the side just a little less.
brad