Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

'twas the nite before racing...

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

'twas the nite before racing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:41 PM
splatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'twas the nite before racing...

...and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for me, trying to get some sleep the night before the big race.

Finaly it's racing season in Minnesota. The NCPL has it's first 424 race of the season tommorrow and I can't wait to rain surpreme over the crew. Ya, daven, look out cus' I 've been practic'in all week with my chinese hot rod.

Typical Minnesota weather, hot all week, like 90 Monday, 80 Wednesday,race day Saturday they say 45 will be tops for tempurture so wear your long undies and get out and race. Then after the race there will be a bonfire and rocks for everone!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:36 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I'll be ready, and look forward to the challenge. I got my Predator ready after the little firewall issue last week, and my old faithfull back up plane.

See ya in the morning, it sounds like we are going to have a big group.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:52 PM
SSAN

Default Chinese Hot Rod

Originally posted by splatt
...and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for me, trying to get some sleep the night before the big race.

Finaly it's racing season in Minnesota. The NCPL has it's first 424 race of the season tommorrow and I can't wait to rain surpreme over the crew. Ya, daven, look out cus' I 've been practic'in all week with my chinese hot rod.

Typical Minnesota weather, hot all week, like 90 Monday, 80 Wednesday,race day Saturday they say 45 will be tops for tempurture so wear your long undies and get out and race. Then after the race there will be a bonfire and rocks for everone!
Splatt,

I didn't know that we call the Predator a "chinese hot rod".
Geezzzz... I must be sleeping after all this time. If I would of known, I would be the Chinese Pilot flying my own type "Chinese Hot Rod'

Just kiddin!

Sam S.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:39 PM
splatt

Default global community

yes, were all a part of the global community. That's half the fun of this forum is reading posts from flyers all over the place and finding out how people tick.
I would like to use this thread to see how many different places pylon racers come from, come on sound off, anybody pylon race in antarctica?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:14 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Well ....

Let's hear the race report ... it's been dark for hours ... and we're waiting.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:07 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Quick Report

Weather was cold, and extremely Windy. We had a pretty good turn out despite the weather. I believe we had 16 racers, unfortunately a couple racers dinged their primary birds up in practice and decided not to risk their backups.

The carnage was pretty high, most damage occuring on landing. One plane went into the trees on landing approach, and another crashed into pylon 2 while landing. I managed to take out the landing gear of my predator landing in practice. A quick field repair and it was back in action. After the 3rd heat I knocked it out again, and had to go to the backup, but still managed a tie for 2nd place.

Lets just say Splatt had a bad day. 1st heat of the day I believe, not even a complete lap, and a midair with another racer took down his predator.

All in All, I was very happy with the way the predator flew in actual race conditions. I've only had about 6-8 actual flights on this thing, and I've had the firewall and the landing gear come out. Not to say this was all the planes fault, my landing that took the gear out was what I would call "slightly less than perfect". The firewall incident was not too bad of a landing, and it popped out nearly perfectly without taking much wood with it at all.

I wanted to see how the plane would hold up stock out of the box, now I know the firewall, and landing gear areas definately need some structual backup. Also, we saw several of the predator wheels break on landing. I would definately change over to better quality wheels and axles.

Winners of the race were:

1st place Expert Class Dan Norlin
1st place Standard Class Terry Jensen

Next race, this coming Saturday. That is, if the snow we are getting today melts...
Old 04-21-2002, 05:58 PM
splatt

Default soil testing

I must report that the sod at grass field is excellent contion. A mild winter has not damaged the roots at all.
I practiced a total of 15- 18 flights over the course of 3 days and completed a entire 1/2 lap of competion with my preditor and found it to be a nice model. After that things went to pieces . Had a mid-air with randy and ended my day early.
On to next week... Preditor #564, white in color is ready to rock .