Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Viper 500 Fiberglass Fuselage

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper 500 Fiberglass Fuselage

Old 11-02-2014, 06:32 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 500 Fiberglass Fuselage

One of my projects is to make molds from a Viper 500 fuselage and make some fiberglass fuselages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgrckHr5k8
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2044192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2044193  
Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 AM
DonStegall

On some of my videos I now use a piece of software for Windows 8 called TelePrompter Pro. And I have a monitor hooked up to the camcorder so I can see what I'm doing as it appears on camera.

I actually write up scripts for some videos or portions of them when possible. It makes it a lot easier to keep the umm's and ahh's out. hmmm ... If anybody wants to translate and overdub my videos in foreign languages, just send me an email. I've had some requests, but until I started using scripts part of the time, it was just not feasible.

TELEPROMPTER_SETTINGS:03,049

Hi, I'm Don Stegall.

Over the past couple of years, my airplane building and flying has mostly been with ARF's.

I have been mostly working with ARF kits from The World Models and The Wings Maker for my AirBorne Models Showcase web site.

I'm in the process of updating that web site using some of the latest web technologies, and I enjoy it, but I like to build airplanes.

Especially fiberglass and molded composite parts.

And I'm enjoying making videos of the work I do.
This will be a multi-part series.
I will post this series in threads on RCU and RCPRO dot org in the forums.

Back in 2008 or 2009 I was running the Club 40, Quickie 25, and AMA four twenty four at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

I happened to get a Viper 500 kit that measured zero, zero, zero in relation to the firewall.

I decided that at some point that I was going to make molds for fiberglass fuselages duplicating it.

The Viper has external elevator linkages and not much can really be done about that.

Even with the thin fiberglass, there will not be room for internal elevator linkages.

I have already done some of the prep work.

I have removed the blind nuts from the firewall and the landing gear saddle.

I took the bottom sheeting off under the stab saddle to remove those blind nuts.

I removed the pushrod tubes and put a new piece of balsa over that area.

Before I cover the tank area and the wing saddle, I'm going to fill all of the holes that need to be filled.

After I get the wood work done, I will put light fiberglass on with epoxy, and prime and paint the plug.

One thing I can't do is radius the edges to the maximum allowed by the Quickie rules.
There would just be too much work.
So this will just be a clone of this particular fuselage.

In the next video, I will actually do the fuselage preparation.

Thanks for watching and please subscribe to my channel.
And if you are an Android user, please check out my Drill Bit Charts and RC Calculators apps.
They are available in free and paid versions.

Please feel free to post comments on YouTube or in the forums.

I hope to see you again soon.

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2044241  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don,
I would be interested in viper fuse. Keep us updated on the progress of this.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:55 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Don,
I will be making a complete video series from start to finish.

One of the challenges is the V-tail saddle. If I split the molds on the side like I did the Smasher, it is a non-issue. But laying up the fuselages with the seams on the side proved challenging to me. Kevin Matney has no problems with it though as he produces a beautiful Smasher fuselage.

I think Kevin used a 3 part mold on the CandyKane for the tail socket. I've got to look at his thread again and possibly consult with him on the tail.

I have another project that I'm reviving...
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 AM
DonStegall

Back in 2009 I made a Viper wing plug. It is finished except for final sanding and painting. All of the flaws are worked out.

I always liked the S8064 wing and having one in molded composite will be nice.

In 2012 my Dad and I made a parting plate out of 3/4" MDF. It is actually 3 layers thick and weighs a ton. The middle layer is solid. The bottom has pieces around the edges. and the top has a nearly perfect fitting plate on it. It's behind the ping-pong table and is sitting on it's own 4'x2' table. I can't easily get to it to take pictures right now. But I can show the wing plug All I have to do to the parting plate is prime and paint it. It will have to be moved to the garage downstairs for that. It takes two people to carry it. I will have to enlist help from a neighbor now that Matthew is away at college.

I can post pictures of the wing plug.

I will do a video series on it as well.

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2044692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2044693  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 AM
KEN 31

Originally Posted by DonStegall
I will be making a complete video series from start to finish.

One of the challenges is the V-tail saddle. If I split the molds on the side like I did the Smasher, it is a non-issue. But laying up the fuselages with the seams on the side proved challenging to me. Kevin Matney has no problems with it though as he produces a beautiful Smasher fuselage.

I think Kevin used a 3 part mold on the CandyKane for the tail socket. I've got to look at his thread again and possibly consult with him on the tail.

I have another project that I'm reviving...
Kevin Matney moulds the Viper-Dog fuselages, which take a Viper wing.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 AM
BUDMAN27

Thanks for the video. i just might have to copy some of your work. Maybe i have some Chineez in me.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:27 PM
DonStegall

Do you guys like the videos or written threads better? Or should I do combos where the threads have additional details? And answer questions. Or are just the videos enough?

Of course everything doesn't go perfect and it sometimes holds up the video threads. Like the Part 2 I'm working on of the fuselage where my hole filling didn't come out just right. I'm filling those holes again in the Part 2 video.

I expect to produce many videos this winter. I enjoy making them and it inspires me to get things done.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:31 PM
BUDMAN27

What ever suits you Don. If your making video or writing about pylon rc planes I,m all in.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:40 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by BUDMAN27
What ever suits you Don. If your making video or writing about pylon rc planes I,m all in.
If you haven't seen these videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...V89DIwvxpG1fr9 you should check them out. I know of people who have watched some of them 3 or 4 times.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 AM
DonStegall

Posted this in the wrong thread

This is a playlist of my lay-up of a Q40 fuselage http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...OTkCSio7feL7M3
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Don,
This is Part 2 and I get some of the wood work done on the plug.

http://youtu.be/d3wjKi1MHtc The question is: Do I widen the back of the fuselage so that it can internal linkage. I am leaning that way.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 AM
DonStegall

I am enjoying getting back to doing construction videos. I will still be doing videos for ARF kits, especially those sold by Airborne Models.com for my AirBorne Models Showcase. I do have a working relationship with AirBorne as the Showcase is listed on their site and I get some consideration as StegallHobbies.com is a dealer for them. I will soon be adding the Club 40 planes and EF1 planes to StegallHobbies.com. And I worked with Fai at AirBorne on the EF1 project for the Outrageous / Scarlet Screamer and with Dan Kane and Jerry Small. BTW, the price of the EF1 kits and parts have just been reduced.

Some of my videos have gotten comments and I get emails about the videos. I try to improve, but sometimes I just have to go with what is recorded, because you don't get a second chance to epoxy or sometimes CA something together. And I can't take forever editing videos to be perfect because I have a LOT to do. I push myself very hard.

A lot of people don't realize you can click on the bar at the top of the videos here in the forums to open the video in YouTube. You can also share links via the '
Old 11-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK Don, where is part 3?

Kurt
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 AM
DonStegall

I had to make some wings.

I haven't decided if I'm widening the back for internal linkages. Would be easier not to, but it almost seems a shame not to with the effort and money that goes into a set of molds. I would appreciate comments as I'm going to do the front hatch of the fuselage this weekend. I will make a mold for the stab filler block regardless.

I've worked more on the V-tail half and the parting plate for it this week. They're getting paint this weekend.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by Bozarth
OK Don, where is part 3?

Kurt
Kurt,

I bagged one Quickie wing earlier today and I'm resting a little before laying another one up in just a little while. Rolling on the epoxy and the cloth sort of wears my arm out. So I take a break in-between.

My video taping table is covered up in .46 engines for my research on a .46 tier of Club 40. On the table are the PRO 46, a PRO 40, a Magnum 46 XLS, and an Evolution 46 NX.

Also I have different JETT mounts out. The O.S. 46 mount he was making does not allow a direct swap with a Q-40 engine. The TT PRO 40 mount does.

The Quickie tail plug and parting plate are ready for final sanding before paint. But it is cold and moist here and the Nelson Paint I use is water reducible linear polyurethane and does not like today's type of weather.

Also, here are some pictures of the new Thunder Tiger PRO 46.

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2047904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2047905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2047906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2047907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2047908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2047909  
Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Don,

No hurry on this end. What is the history on the Stinger mold? DG from Colorado?

Kurt
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 AM
DonStegall

Kurt,

Here's a beautiful site ... Now I hope the power doesn't go off for at least 24 hours. I've never bought a UPS, but I'm going to one of these days in case we get a reasonably short glitch. The EZ-Vac doesn't draw that much power. I have a generator, but no easy way to get power up to the middle bonus room without powering the whole house.

It actually takes a little while to get everything together for these wings. I buy CF laminate in 48" x 12" sheets and strip it, then trim the ends. And I mark the wing skins for where the parts go and trim them. I hate to do the CF leading edges, but people seem to like them. I've heard of mid-airs with the wing surviving at least enough to finish a heat.

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2048083  
Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 AM
DonStegall

I sent the Stinger molds to Kevin Matney. He does fine fiberglass work.

I had also sent him the Smasher molds. I have male molds and can make more.Ed Smith made the molds that I had. I think Duane still has his molds without a fin on it.

Kevin says he can make a fuselage in 1.5 to 2 hours. It takes me 3-4 hours and I'm spent afterwards. I did figure out that the reason I was having problems laying up Smashers was because I was originally priming the molds with white. Trying to do them in the black molds with no primer was making it nearly impossible for me to get good fuselages. Like looking into a black hole. I was always priming the later Stingers and had no problems with it. I don't think Kevin makes his molds black. He also uses parting film which contains water. I use a water reducible epoxy primer and my parts come out ready to sand and paint. So I can't use PVA. It is a little nerve wracking.

Dean Stone is putting a plane together for me. It is Jerry Small's original Swee' Pea. Norm Johnson made the wing molds and I made new tail molds. It is only a 52" wing, but it will be fine for my re-entry into 422. I did all of the fiberglass and composite work. But the wing needs to be potted to the fuselage and the tail is not of the bolt on variety. I was extremely happy with the composite parts. I did threads. But I may do videos when I make more. I know I don't have the best voice or delivery, but people seem to like the content of the videos.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 AM
DonStegall

Here's something you may find interesting since if you have watched my Quickie wing videos. Here are the cups from the batches of epoxy. From right to left. The first batch is for the first skin. The second batch is for the other skin (and cloth). The third batch is for a tine bit of extra epoxy where the CF laminate is laid down and on the laminate itself. The optional forth batch is for the CF LE. It is 2 pumps instead of 1. Even though there is very little epoxy left in the first two cups, it hardens overnight. It will still ding with a sharp point. But I can tell from the sound of the mixing stick on the epoxy if it is hardening properly. Because the epoxy is put down in such a thin film, it is most important that it be fully mixed before it goes on. There is no room for epoxy that is not 100% mixed. I have never had a wing fold reported.

There are two sets of cups because I can only vacuum two at a time (at the moment).

Don

Name:	IMG_0214.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2048084